SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

why am i getting depressed

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by whyme, May 11, 2002.

1. whyme

whyme Member 7+ Year Member

May 8, 2002
    ok, so i just had a great night with friends and its about 4 in the morning and i can't sleep..and whats on my mind is that tomorrow i'm going to write my personal statement and work on my amcas application...its depressing thinking about how qualified people don't get interviews. i attend a top 10 school and i'm about average in everything..3.7 science and overall gpa and a 31 on my mcats..with the usual extras with an emphasis on working with children...i just don't know if i can handle the roller coaster year that you all have been describing. advice?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Doctora Foxy

Doctora Foxy Meow 7+ Year Member

Jan 28, 2002
    welcome to sdn :)

advice? u should be fine, just apply to a wide range of schools for "backup" b/c u never know. I wish u luck, and check out <a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=010171&p=" target="_blank">Jalbrekt's thread.</a>

and then check out <a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012038" target="_blank">my thread</a> out applying to a wide range of schools, b/c I think it's really important.

buena suerte

4. Cambrian

Cambrian Colonel/Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 7, 2001
    La Jolla
    You're applying this year and you are writing your personal statement now?!! That's kind of late. But no worries, your stats are not that average. They're actually good, considering that you went to a top-ten school (which school are you attending?). Just get things done quickly in case of any mishap. Bite your lips and immerse yourself in this process. This is just another one of those trials and tribulation to become a doctor. If your heart is in the right place, nothing else matters.

5. otter

otter Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 31, 2001
    whyme, you are going to be just fine. Don't look at it as a roller coaster ride. It's going to be an adventure with what should be a lot of positive outcomes for you, as long as you write a thoughtful essay and interview okay. You have excellent stats and seem to have great intangibles.

It has been a roller coaster ride (actually more like roller coaster stuck at the bottom) for me, no doubt. But your situation will be different than mine was. I had applied with an August MCAT and didn't apply to enough schools. You took MCAT already. (plus, I didn't go to a top-10 school) Don't worry. It's going to be an exciting year for you. Just make sure you apply early and ensure that you'll have a lot of options by applying to about 20 schools or more.

6. ckent

ckent Banned Banned

Jul 31, 2000
    Smallville/Metropolis
    Interesting choice of a screen name "whyme". Why did you choose that screen name? Applying to med school isn't that bad, it's stressful but just think about how happy you will be after you get accepted somewhere. Your stats sound average, so you should apply to a wide range of school. Work hard on your personal statement over the next few weeks, making sure that you get it revised by multiple people (both your friends and preferentially someone at your school writing center or an English professor or TA). Good luck with the application cycle. Just don't be afraid to "waste" too much money applying to too many schools (you should probably apply to ~20), because the money you spend right now applying will actually save you money in the future from not needing to re-apply again.

7. deva

deva Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Mar 30, 2002
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Cambrian:
    <strong>You're applying this year and you are writing your personal statement now?!! That's kind of late. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are you trying to make whyme panic?

Whyme: I think you are right on schedule. Honestly, I didn't write my personal statement until late September, and I did fine. Oh, and I know most people disagree with me, but I don't think it is that important to apply to a ton of schools (20 seems like too many to me).

8. nap

nap Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 25, 2002
    Whyme..you are definately not late in writing your personal statement. who wants to write it while you're studying for finals? Good luck...

9. Coalboy

Coalboy Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2001
    East Providence, RI
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're applying this year and you are writing your personal statement now?!! That's kind of late.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I also didn't finish my personal statement until early October, when I submitted my application. While I wouldn't recommend applying that late, it's not a death sentence either.

10. LBJeffries

LBJeffries Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2001
    The Great Plains
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by nap:
    <strong>Whyme..you are definately not late in writing your personal statement. who wants to write it while you're studying for finals? Good luck...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree with everyone else...you're right on schedule! Good luck! :)

11. vyc

vyc Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 20, 2002
    Chicago
    i started my personal statement in March. but only bc my premed committee was anal and wanted a draft of it at that time.

in any case, i think having SEVERAL drafts and writing it over a period of months is a good idea... you'd be amazed at how it will transform... in a good way!

applying to med school is incredibly stressful.
    but just think... you've worked hard these past years and now there's nothing else you can do except trust that what is meant to happen, will happen. your stats are good and you have ECs so you should be able to get in somewhere.

good luck! you can do it!