• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Why Anesthesiology?

osteooneill

Feb 27, 2012
    I am wondering what lures medical students to the specialty of anesthesiology. What aspects of it are the most attractive? Why did you choose it? What type of people make the best and happiest anesthesiologists?

Any insight would be helpful!

Thanks.

Stellar Clouds

Lightly Seasoned Meat
    Jan 8, 2013
    Here. There. Everywhere.
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      I picked it because I fell in love with it. You get to make quick, very important decisions with instant feedback. You don't sit around and talk about what you are going to do for an hour on rounds, and then see what happens over the next few days. I love being in the OR. I love that when you are done for the day, you are done. No calls in the middle of the night saying that your patient is in pain. I love the brief, intense relationships you make with patients. Although under appreciated, I love how truly vital you are during an operation. I also love the hands on, procedural aspects of anesthesia.

I was torn between anesthesia and surgery. I'm still yet to meet an anesthesiologist that doesn't love their job. I've met way too many surgeons that say they would do something different if given the opportunity (funny how many say they would pick anesthesia).

About the Ads

secants

about:blank
      15+ Year Member
      Aug 23, 2006
      NYC
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        From what I gather, the biggest gripe people have here is the murky future of Anesthesia with CRNA's etc and not the actual scope of the speciality. I really liked anesthesia as well but I think you need to be fair to yourself and really think if it's worth going into with all the issues the field is facing.

kgpremed11

Removed
        Aug 25, 2012
        1. Pre-Medical
          From what I gather, the biggest gripe people have here is the murky future of Anesthesia with CRNA's etc and not the actual scope of the speciality. I really liked anesthesia as well but I think you need to be fair to yourself and really think if it's worth going into with all the issues the field is facing.

So is the inevitable CRNA take over still marching along? My undergrad just opened a CRNA school :barf:

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.