"Why applying to this school?" -- what's appropriate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlwebb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to ETSU in Johnson City, TN. Johnson City is my hometown, and one reason I want to go to ETSU is because my mom lives in JC, and she has multiple sclerosis so I want to be available to help out if I'm needed. She lives with my dad but he could use some help sometimes too. Is this a strong enough reason to put in the essay or does it weaken it? I already have some things in there about the rural health care program. Thanks,

Logan

Members don't see this ad.

rlwebb said:
I am applying to ETSU in Johnson City, TN. Johnson City is my hometown, and one reason I want to go to ETSU is because my mom lives in JC, and she has multiple sclerosis so I want to be available to help out if I'm needed. She lives with my dad but he could use some help sometimes too. Is this a strong enough reason to put in the essay or does it weaken it? I already have some things in there about the rural health care program. Thanks,

Logan

you mean your personal statement or the school-specific essay? If you are asked "why do you want to come here" in a secondary go ahead. If you are talking about the personal statement, you could somehow fit in your mother's situation and drop a hint "she lives in _____ ". :)

O, it's the secondary essay. I already mentioned her in the amcas essay as giving me experience "caring for someone with long-term illness." This seems really objectifying, but it's true.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do it. It's a legit reason, but shouldn't be the only reason.

did everyone just list the programs and perks of the school they were interested in? I know alot of gunners will object to me asking this question but I just want to know im doing the right thing. Sometimes my secondary almost seems like a shopping list of why the school is great.. lol

Shopping list is probably bad, it is better to just talk about a couple things that you like, in detail, explaining how those features apply to your personality.

nekrogg said:
did everyone just list the programs and perks of the school they were interested in? I know alot of gunners will object to me asking this question but I just want to know im doing the right thing. Sometimes my secondary almost seems like a shopping list of why the school is great.. lol

wait, is it bad to talk about the town or the city?

I don't know if I am doing this right, but:

I have talked about the schools location, the mission statement, and the values that I appreciate. I also added a few things about the school, i.e. curriculum.

rlwebb said:
Shopping list is probably bad, it is better to just talk about a couple things that you like, in detail, explaining how those features apply to your personality.

oh yea i definently relate it to myself, like how their program correlates to what i mentioned in my personal statement (i dont spell it out as straight forward as that). but yea, im pretty much doing what you said above! awesome :thumbup:

coralfangs said:

i read somewhere that it is not recommended.. i find i dont have enough room anyways. so id save it for the interview or what not.

coralfangs said:

Uh I did in some of mine. But I didn't write "oooh ____ city has a great night life and hot chicks". I wrote stuff like "____ can yield a patient demographic that I have experience working with and would like to continue to serve in the future."

coralfangs said:

Most schools want you to be interested in the school, not just the location. Every school likes to think of itself as world class, and works hard to offer something others don't. As such, location should not be your primary motivation to attend. (This goes doubly for any school where there are other med schools in the same city). Find something you like about the school, that sets it apart from the pack.