Why are DO seat reservations so much more expensive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BOHICA-FIGMO

Belt-fed Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having applied to both allopathic (don't hate me!) and osteopathic medical schools, I have noticed that the average fee for MD schools to reserve a seat is $100-$200 and refundable up to 15 May. Osteopathic schools, on the other hand, charge $1K-$3K (damn you WVSOM :) ) which is non-refundable. Doesn't that just foster the impression that DO schools are inferior/last resort compare to MD schools? Don't mean to start a flame...just talking about impressions NOT reality.

Members don't see this ad.

Because too many people hold DO spots as a backup and then drop them suddenly if they get in somewhere else. This is a nuisance and expense for the schools and this is their way of protecting themselves and recouping costs.

I go to a state DO school, and our deposit was $100. The exorbitant rates quoted definitely help foster the notion that many private DO schools are first and foremost moneymakers. However, with the large number of DO acceptees that will likely withdraw from their acceptance if concurrently accepted to allopathic school, the DO schools often lose out on their top choices and end up scrambling to fill slots. Whereas a $100 deposit is sort of a "feel good" guarantee of a spot, a >$1000 deposit results in a "you are committed to us now" situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idiopathic summed it up pretty well. I refused to apply anywhere that had an acceptance fee >$250 b/c I can't afford to lose more than that.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Having applied to both allopathic (don't hate me!) and osteopathic medical schools, I have noticed that the average fee for MD schools to reserve a seat is $100-$200 and refundable up to 15 May. Osteopathic schools, on the other hand, charge $1K-$3K (damn you WVSOM :) ) which is non-refundable. Doesn't that just foster the impression that DO schools are inferior/last resort compare to MD schools? Don't mean to start a flame...just talking about impressions NOT reality.

This is only true for private schools, because they don't get state funding.

(In a large majority of cases.)

Yeah, this was not my experience with the one DO school I was accepted to and pulled out of. It is a state school, and actually refunded my $100 reservation fee a week or two past the deadline, which pleasantly surprised me.

(A public allopathic school which I had earlier pulled out of did not refund my fee.)

Must vary significantly with the school, or public/private, or something.

Daria

BOHICA-FIGMO said:

I had the same situation as you. WVSOM decided to accept me early on and I was thrilled to be accepted somewhere. However, they weren't exactly my first choice, so I was a little flustered that there was a ridiculous fee associated with accepting in addition to the early deadline for making that decision. For a while, I debated whether going to medical school at all was worth the trouble of being _ _ 0,000.00 $ in debt.(I don't want to delve into that issue too much) Luckily, I was accepted to my #1 choice before I had to make that decision. What I think it comes down to is how likely it is that you'll get accepted by another school, and how much money is a factor for the acceptance fee. Also, I don't think WVSOM is a last resort. That school seems to have quite a following.

Now I heard a nasty rumor and if I am wrong could someone please shed the proper light, but doesn't the LARGE deposit get applied to next years tuition and since that part of the tuition is considered paid, don't you get that much less in student loan money for a year. Seems like two slaps in the face if its true.

Medicfletch said:
Now I heard a nasty rumor and if I am wrong could someone please shed the proper light, but doesn't the LARGE deposit get applied to next years tuition and since that part of the tuition is considered paid, don't you get that much less in student loan money for a year. Seems like two slaps in the face if its true.

Most schools will count that deposit as part of that years tuition. As far as my school is concerned the budget they provide for financial aid has the total tuition amount in it, there is no deduction for the deposit money. Why would they take it out? We still had to come up with the money some how, it is tuition and that doesn't change how much they charge.

COMP actually refunded my 2K deposit after the 2nd month of school (well after the drop-with-refund date) as part of our living stipend because the loans cover ALL the tuition up front.

Kevbot said:
I had the same situation as you. WVSOM decided to accept me early on and I was thrilled to be accepted somewhere. However, they weren't exactly my first choice, so I was a little flustered that there was a ridiculous fee associated with accepting in addition to the early deadline for making that decision. For a while, I debated whether going to medical school at all was worth the trouble of being _ _ 0,000.00 $ in debt.(I don't want to delve into that issue too much) Luckily, I was accepted to my #1 choice before I had to make that decision. What I think it comes down to is how likely it is that you'll get accepted by another school, and how much money is a factor for the acceptance fee. Also, I don't think WVSOM is a last resort. That school seems to have quite a following.

I didn't mean to put down WVSOM, I think it is a great school. But, I have also been accepted at KCUMB and think that it is a better fit for me. Also have interviews at DMU, VCOM, and 2 allopathic (ETSU and USUHS) so who knows where I'll end up.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
I didn't mean to put down WVSOM, I think it is a great school. But, I have also been accepted at KCUMB and think that it is a better fit for me. Also have interviews at DMU, VCOM, and 2 allopathic (ETSU and USUHS) so who knows where I'll end up.

nice user name. I have a t-shirt that says BOHICA that I wear on test days :D

Why are DO seat reservations so much more expensive?

Simple. Our seats are leather AND they recline!! Believe me, it is worth the money. I sat in one of those seats for four years, and I pity my MD colleagues that had to use metal folding chairs.

Oh, and it was just pure coincidence that my seat was a "lazy boy." :D

I'm also in the same situation. Got into WVSOM and they wanted 2000 early. Had to do it, would of killed my self if i didn't get in anywhere else. But... I did (LECOM (single 1500), PCOM (250 then 2000$). Not sure about allopathic schools. Sure does feel like these institutions are primarily interested in money. I wonder how much these schools make just from these non refundable deposits. I understand the argument of proving commitment to the particular school but I think this is a road block for people in tight financial situations. You could argue that the money goes towards medical education either way (yours or someone else's) but I'm primarily concerned with my tuition cost. You could also argue that if you weren't sure what school you wanted to attend then why did you apply. No-one want's to put all their eggs into one basket, and as people learn more about prospective schools and their affiliated expenses, decisions can change. People that can't afford multiple deposits are at a disadvantage to those who can. They should allow more time to make such a difficult decision. Imagine what I could of done with the 2000 dollars I spent on WVSOM. LECOM is my first choice so I will go there. Why is WVSOM so expensive anyways, they had nice facilities, but I think in the end, all that matters is your commitment to your work. All those fancy robots may help some, but is it worth the money?

Many DO schools do know they are a safety net for many people. So they are charging a fee for being a safety net, that's it. I did loos a $1000 depasit at COMP. they would not refund it after 1wk after I mailed it.

Many DO schools do know they are a safety net for many people. So they are charging a fee for being a safety net, that's it. I did loos a $1000 depasit at COMP. they would not refund it after 1wk after I mailed it.

I guess it depends on how you look at it, but I see the deposits as an unpleasant, but necessary survival tool for DO schools given the present environment. DO schools must fill their seats, and since DO admissions generally run on an earlier timeline than MD, there could well be a significant percentage of the class bailing if they got acceptances to other schools.

I agree that it sucks to see your money disappear like this, but in reality when you put down a deposit, you're contracting with the school for a very precious commodity - a seat in their class, and then breaking that contract. It's not exactly fair to paint the schools like they're doing it for the money, since if you fulfill your obligation and matriculate, every penny is applied to your tuition.

....I see the deposits as an unpleasant, but necessary survival tool for DO schools given the present environment..... It's not exactly fair to paint the schools like they're doing it for the money, since if you fulfill your obligation and matriculate, every penny is applied to your tuition.

Agreed. Since MD schools require you to give up multiple acceptances in May, they don't have this problem. The way DO schools stop you from holding multiple acceptances is to hit you in the pocketbook. I'd like to see it done the same way as MD schools, though, because multiple deposits are not a problem if you have the cash-- another case of the rich folk getting all the advantages.

BTW, I don't think I've posted in a four year old thread in quite a while. While not a necroposting record, it's getting up there.

Agreed. Since MD schools require you to give up multiple acceptances in May, they don't have this problem. The way DO schools stop you from holding multiple acceptances is to hit you in the pocketbook. I'd like to see it done the same way as MD schools, though, because multiple deposits are not a problem if you have the cash-- another case of the rich folk getting all the advantages.

BTW, I don't think I've posted in a four year old thread in quite a while. While not a necroposting record, it's getting up there.

But the thing with MD schools is that most have completed interviews by March and have all the acceptances they are going to offer (prior to waitlist) out by March. That gives people a few solid months to decide on schools and still have the ability to get their deposits back. Plus when May 15th you dont have to put down an obscene deposit at that number 1. That way, if you get off someone else's waitlist you arent out a ton of money. The system just enables the students to have more flexibility and make a thought out decision that is best for them. I can't imagine what I would have done if I knew I had to drop a grand to keep an acceptance before I heard back from my other schools.

The argument that some DO schools do it to protect themselves from being a back up is bunk. There are plenty of MD schools that are back-ups for many applicants. My school, for example, often serves as a back up for Cali residents applying to their state schools, people applying to UVA etc. There really is no need to have a system that guts its applicants of so much money without giving them the ability to weigh their options. It is not as if the primary and secondary applications are free either. A school's costs are covered in those fees.

But the thing with MD schools is that most have completed interviews by March and have all the acceptances they are going to offer (prior to waitlist) out by March. That gives people a few solid months to decide on schools and still have the ability to get their deposits back. Plus when May 15th you dont have to put down an obscene deposit at that number 1. That way, if you get off someone else's waitlist you arent out a ton of money. The system just enables the students to have more flexibility and make a thought out decision that is best for them. I can't imagine what I would have done if I knew I had to drop a grand to keep an acceptance before I heard back from my other schools.

The argument that some DO schools do it to protect themselves from being a back up is bunk. There are plenty of MD schools that are back-ups for many applicants. My school, for example, often serves as a back up for Cali residents applying to their state schools, people applying to UVA etc. There really is no need to have a system that guts its applicants of so much money without giving them the ability to weigh their options. It is not as if the primary and secondary applications are free either. A school's costs are covered in those fees.

I don't get the argument at all.

regardless of why its more expensive. Never in my life again will I be happy to loose 1500 dollars just like that.

Why is WVSOM so expensive anyways, they had nice facilities, but I think in the end, all that matters is your commitment to your work. All those fancy robots may help some, but is it worth the money?

I think it's related to their status as a state funded school. In-state students get a huge break on the tuition; it's more like $18K as I recall, versus $47K for outta state. MSUCOM is very similar. West Virginia is trying to educate more rural docs, so they're trying to get local folks who are rooted to the community and will hopefully stay there.

I paid $2K to Touro-Calif. because it was my first interview and first acceptance--I had no idea if anyone else would give me an acceptance. As it turns out, I did get other acceptances, but Touro would not extend the deposit deadline, so that $2K turned into an educational expenditure (they even sent me a tax form). AZCOM charged only $250 to hold a spot, and another $750 later on. I will mention, Touro Nevada gracefully extended the deadline when I asked nicely, thus saving me another $2K.

I guess that the way to look at it is that it's a drop in the bucket in the long run, all part of the process of becoming a doctor. Undoubtedly there'll be plenty more deposits and fees to look forward to in the future :)