Why are doctors so tall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
6'6" pre med checking in.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad.

I wish i could be 6'0. Unfortunately, I'm 5'11 and a half...

I wish i could be 6'0. Unfortunately, I'm 5'11 and a half...

Your sub-6 foot height won't help you match in to surgery, but you can probably compensate with high enough step scores. I actually have a friend that matched into gen surg who's only 5'10.

Members don't see this ad :)
5'10" but I hit that 6' mark easily in my business casual shoes. Probably a bit taller in my interview shoes. You don't have to be dealt the best cards, just gotta play em right :naughty:

5'10" but I hit that 6' mark easily in my business casual shoes. Probably a bit taller in my interview shoes. You don't have to be dealt the best cards, just gotta play em right :naughty:

I need your shoes! I'm 5'9" and hate my height, I really wish I was just those few inches taller. 6' sounds so much better.

I hope you are a woman talking a out high heels.
:)

Hahaha.. Well, no, I am a guy. Apparently height-boosting shoes for men is a thing.

I only have 3 pairs: sneakers, biz-casual (brown), formal (black). The sneakers are flat as can be, but the other two have like thicker soles and/or a sort of heel... but not high heels, I swear.. I'm going to stop here and reassert my manhood by pointing out that these shoes are heavy and take ankle strength to handle.. :laugh:

Every time I shadow a doctor at the hospital every doctor there is like 6'2"-6'3"+. The "shortest" doctors I saw were like 5'11"... Does medicine select for dominance/height/attractiveness?

Generations of large family breeding.

5' 4" female. And Asian. Should I just throw in the towel before I have to take the MCAT?

5' 4" female. And Asian. Should I just throw in the towel before I have to take the MCAT?

No, your height is fine because you're a woman.

...however, I'm not sure if women are allowed to be doctors. Hopefully SDN can offer a definitive answer about this.

No, your height is fine because you're a woman.

...however, I'm not sure if women are allowed to be doctors. Hopefully SDN can offer a definitive answer about this.

Idk I think I've seen a few women in the field! My research lab works with a peds clinic, and the seasoned pediatrician in charge over there is a very lovely woman. But I am dead serious when I say that she is at least 6' tall...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Every time I shadow a doctor at the hospital every doctor there is like 6'2"-6'3"+. The "shortest" doctors I saw were like 5'11"... Does medicine select for dominance/height/attractiveness?

I heard you automatically grow at least 5 inches after your white coat ceremony.

I heard you automatically grow at least 5 inches after your white coat ceremony.

I was thinking maybe a lot of them wore shoe lifts. As a doctor it pays off to look as authoritative as possible so shoe lifts would be a worthwhile investment.

I'm a 6'1 Asian male, with extra 3 inches with my spiked hair. Does this win? Plus my dress shoes for + 1 inches and the short white coat ceremony of + 3 inches... should make me competitive for ortho!

I'm a 6'1 Asian male, with extra 3 inches with my spiked hair. Does this win? Plus my dress shoes for + 1 inches and the short white coat ceremony of + 3 inches... should make me competitive for ortho!

Can you bench at least tree fiddy?

I've had a lot of surgery, and the absolute BEST surgeon I ever had was shorter than I am, and I'm 5' tall on a good day. He owned his own practice in Texas, and he was able to handle my issues like the TEAMS of doctors I had in my home state couldn't.

Last edited:

5'4" MALE, ASIAN...and I will be matriculating this fall. Go short male doctors!