Why are females at an advantage for dental school acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thegoatest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
. I'm shutting this thread down. My apologies if any offense was taken.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I know several schools that admit ~50% females, but it seems to me like females make up maybe 10% of the applicant pool (I don't actually know this statistic, but I know it's significantly less than males, so feel free to inform me). Do you feel like that is patronizing toward women and discriminatory towards men? Why should a female take my spot in a class if I am more qualified?
Lol

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If u want a serious answer I doubt the applicant pool is 10% women although I'm sure the numbers are out there. Most schools I interviewed at had about 50/50 some classes with more male, some with more female. It just depends. They don't intentionally do it.

Reactions: 2 users
Popcorn anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_1532.PNG
    IMG_1532.PNG
    209.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1532.PNG
    IMG_1532.PNG
    209.6 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: 5 users
If u want a serious answer I doubt the applicant pool is 10% women although I'm sure the numbers are out there. Most schools I interviewed at had about 50/50 some classes with more male, some with more female. It just depends. They don't intentionally do it.
I can respect that, hence why I corrected myself in parentheses, but I simply disagree that "they don't intentionally do it." See this thread: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...ceptance-options.1231287/page-2#post-18363778

Reactions: 1 user
http://www.adea.org/publications/li...ntalSchoolApplicantsandEnrollees20102011.aspx

Straight from the ADEA: "Men continue to comprise the majority of applicants and enrollees; however, the percentages of women have increased with 15 dental schools enrolling 51% or more women in their entering class."
Did you ever consider perhaps the female applicants may have been more qualified in certain circumstances? I'm sure there may be some dental schools that are trying to even the male to female ratio but its kinda not so smart on their part if they're rejecting more qualified applicants.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Did you ever consider perhaps the female applicants may have been more qualified in certain circumstances? I'm sure there may be some dental schools that are trying to even the male to female ratio but its kinda not so smart on there part if theyre rejecting more qualified applicants.
Oh yes, I totally agree there are many females who are more qualified than men, and they deserve an acceptance for that very reason; gender should have nothing to do with it. Case in point: University of Utah highly favors women. I can't speak for all schools, but I know this one for a fact. (Although I'm willing to bet that the ratio of female acceptances:applicants is higher overall than for men across the nation too).

NnoGhN1.gif

P.S. At one of my interviews the dean literally said "Girls unfortunately you do not qualify as a URM anymore" so I don't think it happens as much as your original post assumes.

Reactions: 8 users
Yes, see this thread for sure. Oh and also, READ MY LONG COMMENT in this thread guys. THANKS
You've made your point and I value and appreciate it. I also value and appreciate women in general and am not trying to prove my alpha male dominance here. Women are awesome and I feel like I have responded to your LONG COMMENT with the upmost respect.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree it probably varies between schools.

Reactions: 1 users
All information is from the ADA directly.

I'm 2014-2015, 53.4 percent of all examined applications were from males (33,000, so this includes multiple apps from people obviously)

Of all first year students in that same year, 52.3% were male (3,120).

Since I couldn't find any data on total specific applicants through the ADA I won't comment on that, but I will say this. There are around 12,000 applicants a year, if 2,847 acceptees were female, and around 50% of the applications were female I find it very hard to believe that only 10% of the applying population is female as you claim.

Please post actual facts if you're going to generalize women and attack the merit of an entire genders accomplishments.

Reactions: 8 users
Oh yes, I totally agree there are many females who are more qualified than men, and they deserve an acceptance for that very reason; gender should have nothing to do with it. Case in point: University of Utah highly favors women. I can't speak for all schools, but I know this one for a fact. (Although I'm willing to bet that the ratio of female acceptances:applicants is higher overall than for men across the nation too).

Just like schools such as Oklahoma have recently had very high percentages of males accepted (60% in 2014-2015) and Louisville (65%)

All information is from the ADA directly.

I'm 2014-2015, 53.4 percent of all examined applications were from males (33,000, so this includes multiple apps from people obviously)

Of all first year students in that same year, 52.3% were male (3,120).

Since I couldn't find any data on total specific applicants through the ADA I won't comment on that, but I will say this. There are around 12,000 applicants a year, if 2,847 acceptees were female, and around 50% of the applications were female I find it very hard to believe that only 10% of the applying population is female as you claim.

Please post actual facts if you're going to generalize women and attack the merit of an entire genders accomplishments.
Did you even read my original post? I never once claimed 10% as an actual fact. Actually the opposite and I invited correction such as this, so thanks for the information. No need to attack me, it's really a simple inquiry and if I am wrong then I welcome correction.

Did you even read my original post? I never once claimed 10% as an actual fact. Actually the opposite and I invited correction such as this, so thanks for the information. No need to attack me, it's really a simple inquiry and if I am wrong then I welcome correction.

I apologize! Im sorry if you felt attacked, I will admit I answered a bit aggressively, and I shouldn't have done that!

Why are males at an advantage for nearly every aspect of life starting from the beginning of human existence and continuing now?

Reactions: 6 users
Better question: why are y'all feeding the troll?

It might help to peruse the info available from ADEA.

Reactions: 5 users
Maybe because there's more females in the US than males.. idk or the fact that there's no gender aspect when it comes to merit? Who knows :rolleyes:

Can we all please be friends?

Reactions: 7 users
This thread has got to close. Just bad.

You guys hype so much. It was never that serious :laugh:

Reactions: 6 users
You guys hype so much. It was never that serious :laugh:

Wow. I'm impressed that you are able to so casually disregard the perpetual disenfranchisement of women by men in stem fields. I for one, will not stand for such blatant and serious discrimination :mad:

/s

I
Wow. I'm impressed that you are able to so casually disregard the perpetual disenfranchisement of women by men in stem fields. I for one, will not stand for such blatant and serious discrimination :mad:

/s
Its an opinion. I've learned most of the time you will encounter many people with strongly different opinions than yours. Both attempt to explain why they are right due to their own personal experiences. I stand by what I said that most dental schools don't do it.

I

Its an opinion. I've learned most of the time you will encounter many people with strongly different opinions than yours. Both attempt to explain why they are right due to their own personal experiences. I stand by what I said that most dental schools don't do it.

Sorry I was being sarcastic there

They have to hype, I mean what else have we all got to do except sit on Student Doctor Network on a Saturday night?

I'm sitting in a room with my friends as they all play instruments, I'm musically inept so I'm wasting time

This is exactly what we need to put Dec 1st behind us :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

In my interview it was ~4 males and ~7 females. :corny:
I don't know. Maybe because we are "beautifuler" :lol:

Reactions: 3 users
Why are males at an advantage for nearly every aspect of life starting from the beginning of human existence and continuing now?

Because we are bigger, stronger, and not as emotional.

:smuggrin:

I would like to see these advantages you so speak of apply to myself. Like more grants , more money. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.