Why are incompetent Pre-Med advisors allowed to officially advise students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I know raccoons do, at least. Oddities collectors collect them sometimes lol.

Google "turtle penis". o_O

You have not seen truly scarring sheit until you've seen a video on squid orgies and octopus sex.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they're idiots; they just have to pander to the dumb masses.

__

Most of my premed advisors suck. The only good one is the director, but she only cares about the accelerated track people.
I think we are in the same undergrad? LOL

Members don't see this ad :)
where this thread is going?

Places!

But, yes, teaching pre-pharms Calculus concepts for the PCAT had me privy to a lot of drama. Apparently the pre-pharm adviser is an English grad.

Octopus mating is super weird. They use a proboscis. I guess we do too, but it's still kinda weird.

Bro, male squids just stick a semen sack on the ink sacs of females and there can be 20+ members in a breeding swarm.

Dammit, I'm going to be up all night because YouTube + morbid curiosity + fiancee who enjoys seeing how involved I get in trivial matters = no sleep.

Reactions: 1 user
A student of mine had a VERY BAD premed adviser and she was required to get all of her courses approved by this adviser before registering. She switched schools because she was only allowed to take classes that were NOT in her best interest. Trusting that adviser could have really sunk her ship. My sense is that enough people have not spoken up.

Bro, male squids just stick a semen sack on the ink sacs of females and there can be 20+ members in a breeding swarm.

Dammit, I'm going to be up all night because YouTube + morbid curiosity + fiancee who enjoys seeing how involved I get in trivial matters = no sleep.

My former marine-biologist-wannabe self might have been too ready to google this at 1:30 AM ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I've never had anything to do with them aside from one meeting I audited where they had a speaker from some dumbfuq Caribbean school. It felt like an Amway pitch.

The worst part is the club president was a manipulative dude with obvious antisocial trait who stole Rx pads and some medical instruments from the clinic where I work, wrote fake scripts for Dilaudid (hilariously with a non-existent dosage), all so he could *quote* feel like a doctor.

So, I'm not overly impressed with my school's weird pre-pre-occupational therapy club.
See that's what I'm saying. In my experience, pre-med clubs attract the wrong and worst type of pre-meds. Those who just want to up their status and feel more "medical" rather than developing themselves as a person

Reactions: 1 user
The advisor at my undergrad seemed to exist solely to tell people not to apply to medical school and to tell people who were excessively qualified to only apply to their state schools. Obviously this was in the interest of padding the schools stats above anything else.

The advisor at my graduate institution is ok I guess, but she just seems to have memorized a handful of platitudes to regurgitate and nothing else (apply early, do secondaries within 2 weeks, everyone must volunteer at a US hospital, etc).

The thing that's always annoyed me is that advisors only seem to want to give very general advice. Why do they never know about specific schools?