Why are Kean and Seton Hall taking so long?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LVD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to 5 occupational therapy programs and heard back from 3. These schools want a deposit ASAP or else the acceptance is revoked and the seat is given to someone else! How is it possible for us to make final decisions when we haven't heard back from everyone? I'm sure all of the schools get tons and tons of applications but why are some able to get decisions out in a timely manner and some are not. What takes Kean and Seton Hall so long to make their decisions?

Members don't see this ad.

Plain and simple, it's not! Sorry, I know it stinks, but there is no easy solution. You will have to place a deposit somewhere else just in case and if you really want to go to one of those school you will have to wait till April. Seton Hall doesn't send out acceptances for another 3-4 weeks.

I'm a student in Seton Hall's OT program. I didn't get an acceptance letter until May, however, that's because the due date was in March and not in January like this year. I believe they are still reviewing applications so be patient! If you really want to go to SHU or Kean you just have to wait it out. Good luck, if you have any questions about the program let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a student in Seton Hall's OT program. I didn't get an acceptance letter until May, however, that's because the due date was in March and not in January like this year. I believe they are still reviewing applications so be patient! If you really want to go to SHU or Kean you just have to wait it out. Good luck, if you have any questions about the program let me know!

Thanks so much!!! I actually do have a quick question. Why is seton halls program 3 years long as opposed to the common 2/2.5 years? Thanks !!

our curriculum I believe is spread out and we have 3 fieldwork II placements rather than 2. also, i feel like it is about 2.5 years because technically the last semester of our third year is our last 2 fieldwork II's and we aren't in the classroom, but we won't finish and graduate until May of our third year. not sure if that helps. haha

I applied to Kean and was rejected, i'm still waiting on seton hall! I'm very nervous since this is technically the only school i was able to apply to. I know that they give phone calls to those who were accepted. However, does anyone know if they are still in review? Will they call us if we are waitlisted? I spoke to Debbie via email and she said that decisons were made April 1.

I applied to Kean and was rejected, i'm still waiting on seton hall! I'm very nervous since this is technically the only school i was able to apply to. I know that they give phone calls to those who were accepted. However, does anyone know if they are still in review? Will they call us if we are waitlisted? I spoke to Debbie via email and she said that decisons were made April 1.

Hi. Did you ever hear black from Seton Hall? Were you accepted? I'm in your position now. I applied to both schools and have an interview with Kean this week. I rather go to SHU but I'm nervous about both. Haven't heard back from SHU yet. When did they get back to you??

Hi. Did you ever hear black from Seton Hall? Were you accepted? I'm in your position now. I applied to both schools and have an interview with Kean this week. I rather go to SHU but I'm nervous about both. Haven't heard back from SHU yet. When did they get back to you??

Hi there MsOTSoon,

Fortunately I was accepted shortly after my post. I am currently attending there, and heard back from them around mid April. If you have not heard anything yet, just keep waiting, I have heard some people who were accepted around May latest(probably due to people dropping seats and getting off waiting lists). Hang in there!

Hi there MsOTSoon,

Fortunately I was accepted shortly after my post. I am currently attending there, and heard back from them around mid April. If you have not heard anything yet, just keep waiting, I have heard some people who were accepted around May latest(probably due to people dropping seats and getting off waiting lists). Hang in there!

Thank you for replying! I actually just called and Debbie is still telling me that they are still in review. What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? Gpa? Where did you go for undergrad and what did you major in?

Hello MsOTSoon
If you don't mind me asking when did you have your interview with Kean? And what was the timeframe that they stated for a response? I had my interview the week of March 8 and still have not heard anything back from them. It's worrying me because it shouldn't be taking this long.

Hello MsOTSoon
If you don't mind me asking when did you have your interview with Kean? And what was the timeframe that they stated for a response? I had my interview the week of March 8 and still have not heard anything back from them. It's worrying me because it shouldn't be taking this long.

Hey tigerlily,

I saw your post as I was skimming through some of the threads on here. I actually had an interview at Kean on March 4th, and I only just heard back from them last week on March 26th. I was rejected, which I wasn't too surprised about because I didn't feel like Laurie (the director of the program who probably interviewed you too) and I meshed too well.. It ended up working out for me elsewhere, but the Monday before I got the rejection letter, I actually called the OT Dept at Kean to see if a decision had been made and they were able to at least tell me if a decision had been sent to Grad Admissions already. If your interview was the week of March 8th, Kean had spring break the following week and it's possible the review committee didn't even review your application materials again until last week or this week. I assume Grad Admissions doesn't send out letters every day either. Anyway, I'm not sure if my post makes sense, but the point I'm trying to make is that I wouldn't worry too much about it. I bet you'll hear back next week. Also, it wouldn't hurt to call on Monday to try and find out if a decision has been made. Good luck!! Hope my post helped calm your worries even the slightest bit!

Hey tigerlily,

I saw your post as I was skimming through some of the threads on here. I actually had an interview at Kean on March 4th, and I only just heard back from them last week on March 26th. I was rejected, which I wasn't too surprised about because I didn't feel like Laurie (the director of the program who probably interviewed you too) and I meshed too well.. It ended up working out for me elsewhere, but the Monday before I got the rejection letter, I actually called the OT Dept at Kean to see if a decision had been made and they were able to at least tell me if a decision had been sent to Grad Admissions already. If your interview was the week of March 8th, Kean had spring break the following week and it's possible the review committee didn't even review your application materials again until last week or this week. I assume Grad Admissions doesn't send out letters every day either. Anyway, I'm not sure if my post makes sense, but the point I'm trying to make is that I wouldn't worry too much about it. I bet you'll hear back next week. Also, it wouldn't hurt to call on Monday to try and find out if a decision has been made. Good luck!! Hope my post helped calm your worries even the slightest bit!

Thanks for your post. I also had an interview with Kean about a week ago (March 25th) that I felt didn't go so well either. I haven't received any letters yet but I guess I can call them on Monday and check.

Hey tigerlily,

Hey anddvo & MsOTSoon,
Thanks for replying! I will take your experience into consideration..I will call tomorrow to find out what's going on in that department. I found out from one of my friends that her friend had an interview last week at Kean and within a 2-3 hour timeframe she received a phone call of acceptance into the program. This isn't the first time I've heard of this happening my friend last year that was accepted told me that she knew the day of the interview that she got in!

So I'm guessing from interview if they like you or not they will tell you straight away or deliberate on your application a few more times. ... anyways I will find out sooner or later :]

Last edited:
Well
Hello MsOTSoon

Well I had the interview March 25th and they sent me a letter of denial on April 14th.