Why are medical students generally attractive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theconfusedapplicant

Reaction score
Maybe this is just me, but from my own experiences and watching a lot of videos about schools I've noticed that most students seem to be pretty good looking. I'm not talking about strictly promotional videos where they might have specifically been chosen for their looks, but on match day videos and other just general videos where the odds of sampling bias are low. Of course I don't mean every single student, but I would consider most "objectively" attractive. Has anyone noticed the same thing? Do you think there's some sort of correlation? Curious to hear thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Idk where you are looking, but this is definitely NOT the case at my school

• Haha
Reactions: 39 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh Jesus . Hahahaha . I honestly have no idea what to even say .
But , thank you ?
These threads keep getting weirder every year.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Does this mean I'll finally be considered attractive once I get admitted? I've been waiting so long.

• Haha
Reactions: 25 users
No, you would likely be fulfilling the diversity quota for unattractive admissions.
oh my god...... hahahahaha i am crying...

but i actually heard that it is relatively easy to find relationship if you are medical student once you get to clinical years, and meet new people in the hospital.... something about you being a doctor who will make a lot of money soon makes you wildly attractive (they are obviously forgetting about student loans hahahha).

Reactions: 6 users
No, you would likely be fulfilling the diversity quota for unattractive admissions.
Savage.PNG

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Was this a song reference?
George Gershwin’s (later, Ella’s, Sam Cooke’s and others) ”Summertime”—an oldie but a goodie. (I am winking at you as I make the following comments.). What are they teaching kids these days?!!! Youth is wasted on the young!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Sam Cooke’s ”Summertime”—an oldie but a goodie. (I am winking at you as I make the following comments.). What are they teaching kids these days?!!! Youth is wasted on the young!!!

I thought it was the "Daddy's money" country song hahah

Reactions: 1 user
It's power of marketing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Threads like this keep me lurking in the premed forums.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Looked at pics of a med school class's students. This is fake news

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Hahah well this got a lot of attention but for some reason nobody outright agreed with me. I still stand by my thought though! From what I've seen and see, most students are pretty pleasing to look at! Maybe I'm just going crazy.

Hahah well this got a lot of attention but for some reason nobody outright agreed with me. I still stand by my thought though! From what I've seen and see, most students are pretty pleasing to look at! Maybe I'm just going crazy though.
Well , I’ll try to give you serious response
1) ppl look good in scrubs and coats
2) ppl look great in suits
3) there is a certain confidence about medicsl students . It’s a weird combination of “I know nothing I am a fraud” and “damn I am in the highest paid career where I save ppl - I don’t care if I am ugly I am awesome” mix .
I’ll take myself as an example . Ppl say I am an 8. I think I am a 5. I used to have huge body confidence issues . HUGE. Like , I’d look at myself in the mirror and tell myself so many horrible things - that I am ugly , that no one can love someone like me , etc. since I started medical school (M2 now), I lost some weight (because of stress), and I don’t have time to look at myself anymore and trash talk myself . Plus I’ve been working with pts (I shadow A LOT), and I see the impact I can make , and help ppl in my little “I am a nobody “ kind of way, and this gives me a perspective . Like, I don’t care if I am ugly anymore - pts like me and trust me . I noticed that they tell me the most personal stuff about themselves . So this whole thing made me more confident . I don’t think I suddenly because more attractive . I am just more confident DESPITE of being unattractive. Once you do what you love , that will allow you to support your retired parents and siblings and help ppl, you gain a certain confidence quality about you . And that projects into being more attractive I think (weirdly, because I haven’t slept for years).
Does it make sense ? That’s my theory

Reactions: 4 users
Well , I’ll try to give you serious response
1) ppl look good in scrubs and coats
2) ppl look great in suits
3) there is a certain confidence about medicsl students . It’s a weird combination of “I know nothing I am a fraud” and “damn I am in the highest paid career where I save ppl - I don’t care if I am ugly I am awesome” mix .
I’ll take myself as an example . Ppl say I am an 8. I think I am a 5. I used to have huge body confidence issues . HUGE. Like , I’d look at myself in the mirror and tell myself so many horrible things - that I am ugly , that no one can love someone like me , etc. since I started medical school (M2 now), I lost some weight (because of stress), and I don’t have time to look at myself anymore and trash talk myself . Plus I’ve been working with pts (I shadow A LOT), and I see the impact I can make , and help ppl in my little “I am a nobody “ kind of way, and this gives me a perspective . Like, I don’t care if I am ugly anymore - pts like me and trust me . I noticed that they tell me the most personal stuff about themselves . So this whole thing made me more confident . I don’t think I suddenly because more attractive . I am just more confident DESPITE of being unattractive. Once you do what you love , that will allow you to support your retired parents and siblings and help ppl, you gain a certain confidence quality about you . And that projects into being more attractive I think (weirdly, because I haven’t slept for years).
Does it make sense ? That’s my theory

Well I'll admit my reasoning was slightly different, but I thought about it in a purely physical attractiveness sort of way. I thought it might have to do with some sort of bias interviewers have toward attractive people. Something about people being more drawn to/interested in those who are more attractive and tending to give them higher scores on interviews, etc. Or maybe something about the medical profession that I don't know about draws in more attractive people.

I agree people look good in scrubs/suits and I certainly didn't consider the confidence aspect of this - and I agree that confident looking people are generally more attractive. I'm also glad you don't think of yourself that way anymore :) I'm sure you're beautiful too.

alright, closing this interesting thread, y'all. Happy Thanksgiving :dogfive:

edit: Happy early holidays - thread unlocked... just don't let it get out of control

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Statistically speaking, "attractive" (or more appropriately, not downright unattractive) people do better in life. Better self-esteem, better support network, better grades, better opportunities, etc. It may not sound fair, but the science backs it up. So really the question should be, "Why are so many attractive people going into medicine?" Because, let's be honest guys, 'instagram personality' is an equally lucrative career opportunity.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 7 users
Surprised no one has mentioned this but aren't medical students supposed to be more health-conscious (ie. more likely to exercise, eat a healthy diet, have a skincare routine, etc.) leading to increased attractiveness? I'm not a med student yet but I thought this would be the norm. Or is everyone too stressed out to care?

Reactions: 1 users
I think it’s just because med students are young and healthy. Most 25 year olds look pretty good.

Reactions: 10 users
Statistically speaking, "attractive" (or more appropriately, not downright unattractive) people do better in life. Better self-esteem, better support network, better grades, better opportunities, etc. It may not sound fair, but the science backs it up. So really the question should be, "Why are so many attractive people going into medicine?" Because, let's be honest guys, 'instagram personality' is an equally lucrative career opportunity.

Exactly. I mean, 100,000,000 people like watching some random teenage girl dance...

Maybe this is just me, but from my own experiences and watching a lot of videos about schools I've noticed that most students seem to be pretty good looking. I'm not talking about strictly promotional videos where they might have specifically been chosen for their looks, but on match day videos and other just general videos where the odds of sampling bias are low. Of course I don't mean every single student, but I would consider most "objectively" attractive. Has anyone noticed the same thing? Do you think there's some sort of correlation? Curious to hear thoughts.
I believe it is because the two MOST CRUCIAL factors that determine admissions to medical school (as per the aamc guidelines) are...

1) your attractiveness scaled 1-10 on your secondary pictures
2) your ability to properly tie a FULL WINDSOR knot. Not to be confused with the half windsor that some barbarians wear.

• Haha
Reactions: 21 users
I believe it is because the two MOST CRUCIAL factors that determine admissions to medical school (as per the aamc guidelines) are...

1) your attractiveness scaled 1-10 on your secondary pictures
2) your ability to properly tie a FULL WINDSOR knot. Not to be confused with the half windsor that some barbarians wear.

Oh god not this tie **** again. Lmfao

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Prince Albert knot >

Many of my graduate student friends, and myself as well, have said that the medical students at my school are in general better looking (and dress better, but that's expected) than the graduate students. It is somewhat easy to identify a grad vs med student in our shared buildings.

I go to a top 5 medical school. Trust me. Most of my classmates are not attractive. There's probably only one girl in all of my small groups that I'd considering asking out once the whole pandemic is over (probably not wise to ask over zoom, lol)

Thats because you’re at a Top 5 LOL

Umm... not really. There are a lot of homely medical students out there.

YESSS! There should be a boost for us ugly applicants. We need all the help we can get. Lizzy M + 5 sounds fair.

Yes. It can forgive a few wrinkles or a humped back or so...
It's interesting how things changed after I got into medical school. I've gotten more female attention, my relatives pay me a lot more respect, professors started to take me more seriously, first impressions with strangers are a lot different, etc. I'm curious how things will be if I match into neurosurgery. Although, I'll probably never see the outside of a hospital if that happens, and hence any benefit will be moot.

• Haha
  • Wow
It's interesting how things changed after I got into medical school. I've gotten more female attention, my relatives pay me a lot more respect, professors started to take me more seriously, first impressions with strangers are a lot different, etc. I'm curious how things will be if I match into neurosurgery. Although, I'll probably never see the outside of a hospital if that happens, and hence any benefit will be moot.
As a pre-med student: "..."

As a med student with societal respect and future financial stability: *gasps* "Wow, so handsome!"

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Surprised no one has mentioned this but aren't medical students supposed to be more health-conscious (ie. more likely to exercise, eat a healthy diet, have a skincare routine, etc.) leading to increased attractiveness? I'm not a med student yet but I thought this would be the norm. Or is everyone too stressed out to care?
High stress, lack of sleep/exercise, 80 hour work weeks, and diet of 50% ramen noodles might not be the best beauty routine

• Haha

This just might be one of the dankest posts in the 2 years I've been on SDN, and from @gonnif, no less.