Why are most controlled substance prescriptions dropped off at the drive-thru?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swatchgirl

Exercise your brains out, so you don't get sick.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scripts for oxycodone, fentanyl, morphine and hydromorphone almost never get dropped off inside the store, they're always dropped off at the drive-thru.

Also, 7 out of 10 prescriptions dropped off at the drive-thru are usually for CIIs, whereas 4 out of 10 prescriptions dropped off inside the store (at the front counter) are for CIIs, and they're usually just hydrocodone/apap or ADHD meds.

I see this happening on a regular basis, are there any particular reasons for this? Or am I just reading too much into it?

Members don't see this ad.

because people in pain...don't want to get out of their car?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't read into it too much. Be glad they are at drive-thru and not people who drop it off in-store and stare at you until it's done.

Members don't see this ad :)
fentanyl for BT pain 2/2 cancer & they don't want to drag their neutropenic selves into the nasty store?

Because most of the people on this stuff are typical fat, lazy Americans who have probably just picked up their quadruple whopper with fries from the BK drivethru across the street.

(and yes I am aware that some people actually need these controlled medications, approx 10% of scripts filled)

Honestly for me personally a trip to CVS is almost like a "people of wal mart" situation so I'll stick to the drive thru.

Less of a chance for my fat ass to pick up a snickers and/or liquor.

I don't understand why you're complaining.

My pain patients like to walk up to the counter, shout EXCUSE ME as I'm three feet away from them, and then stare at me and breathe heavy until their prescriptions are in their hand. The drive thru is so much more pleasant.