Adaggiote

Removed
Oct 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I have noticed out of all medical schools to enter, the hardest reside in New York. Others like Harvard and Yale like to take your overall achievements in academia, but what makes new york so special?

UrsusHorribilis

5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I have noticed out of all medical schools to enter, the hardest reside in New York. Others like Harvard and Yale like to take your overall achievements in academia, but what makes new york so special?
I'm confused...do you feel that the NY schools not take your "overall achievements in academia" into account? I'm not sure I get the contrast to Harvard and Yale

In answer to what I think your question is, NY schools tend to be tough because they are, by in large, fairly academically strong programs, even among all the excellent allopathic medical schools in the US (at least the Manhattan schools). In addition, many people specifically want to be in NY for a number of reasons: unique patients, lots of cross-institutional resources leading to many research and clinical opportunities, NYC is socially appealing to many people (and repulsive to others =), non-medical spouses of married folks can often find work in big cities more easily than nowheresville etc. It's not unique to NY--many schools are slightly more or less competitive to get into than their peer institutions because of desirable and undesirable locations, and big cities on the coasts tend to be considered desirable by many academically and professionally inclined folks.

OGMD

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Try again.

Everyone knows California is THE ABSOLUTE worst when it comes to difficulty as a state.

And I second the above post about the strangeness of the OP's question/statement.

wanderer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2008
Status
Medical Student
CA is clearly the toughest state, but NY is up there (NYC to be more precise). Even the low-ranked schools here have really competitive applicants on the typical interview day relative to similar schools nearby. But for the most part it's that 4/6 school in NYC are in the top 30, and NYC has a ton of things to do and is extremely safe, so people want to live here.

Yale and Harvard are definitely tougher schools to get into than anything in NYC other than Columbia (and probably Columbia as well, but I don't want to derail this thread).

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
CA is clearly the toughest state, but NY is up there (NYC to be more precise). Even the low-ranked schools here have really competitive applicants on the typical interview day relative to similar schools nearby. But for the most part it's that 4/6 school in NYC are in the top 30, and NYC has a ton of things to do and is extremely safe, so people want to live here.

Yale and Harvard are definitely tougher schools to get into than anything in NYC other than Columbia (and probably Columbia as well, but I don't want to derail this thread).
Definitely have to agree. I don't know where people are getting that its harder to get into new york schools that Harvard and Yale. I wouldn't say that Columbia is harder than getting into Harvard or Yale, though I don't necessarily think that Harvard and Yale are harder. It's kind of relative, because there are plenty of people who get into one and not the other two. There are also different recruitment strategies and goals, as well as the fact that the class sizes also can affect comparison. In terms of sheer yield, Harvard's is the highest followed by Penn and then Columbia. I assume Yale's is not significantly lower than Columbia's though.