Why are pancreatic enzymes secreted in zymogen form?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Q122 on p. 126 of EK Biology

Which of the following is the best explanation for why pancreatic enzymes are secreted in zymogen form?
A. A delay in digestion is required in order for bile to increase the surface area chyme
C. Zymogens will not digest bile in the pancreatic duct
D. Pancreatic cells are not as easily replaced as intestinal epithelium

I picked C.
Correct answer is D because "only D is both true and reveals a benefit for enzymes to be inactive while in the pancreas." "C is true but not an adequate explanation".

I don't get it, can someone explain why its D. So what if pancreatic cells are NOT as easily replaced as intestinal epithelium?!

Members don't see this ad.

Q122 on p. 126 of EK Biology

Which of the following is the best explanation for why pancreatic enzymes are secreted in zymogen form?
A. A delay in digestion is required in order for bile to increase the surface area chyme
C. Zymogens will not digest bile in the pancreatic duct
D. Pancreatic cells are not as easily replaced as intestinal epithelium

I picked C.
Correct answer is D because "only D is both true and reveals a benefit for enzymes to be inactive while in the pancreas." "C is true but not an adequate explanation".

I don't get it, can someone explain why its D. So what if pancreatic cells are NOT as easily replaced as intestinal epithelium?!

No the answer is D. Think about it...if you had zymogen activation occuring IN the pancreas it would eat away the pancreas. Thats all there is to it..and they sort of word it kind of weird but thats all it means.

Look up pancreatitus (spelling?)...condition where zymogen activation occurs in the pancreas and eats away at it.

smart people beat me to it. pancreatic zymogens are cleaved in the small intestine. otherwise our pancreas would cry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, C is only talking about lipids... so no/little relation to zymogens. And for A, enzymes are not directly affected by surface area (they would be worked into the digested material... so volume would make more sense).