Why are people hating on LECOM-Erie?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Extracheeze

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was trying to read through the forums on why I shouldn't go to LECOM-Erie, but quickly realized it was a complete wasteland. Full of run-on sentences, holes in arguments, and an aroma of immaturity, I couldn't find any solid evidence or experiences. So please, if someone can please tell me what it is I'm missing. I am deciding between some schools and any insight into LECOM-Erie would really help. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Downtown Erie, PA

erie_downtown.jpg

1351958483_0346285f79.jpg

emta1.jpg

Downtown Philadelphia, PA

city-lights.jpg

10.PhillyAerials1-B.KristG.jpg

496037670_682a876730.jpg

Im just sayin...

To the OP:

Dude, I go to LECOM-Erie. It's just fine here. Don't pay attention to all the non-sense you hear. I really don't know why people are always disgruntled. Why don't you compare the downtown Erie area to somewhere like West Virginia, where that is rural lol.

I like it here to be honest, especially for what I came to do. There's things to do, but most importantly I'm not distracted from my work.

Also, the education is really good. The really teach you for the boards. When we finished anatomy, we took the NBME Shelf Exam. The national average was 490. My class averaged at 520 and there were 5 people or so who scored 750-770.

Keep your mindset straight and you'll be fine. Also, 98% of the people aren't from here so it's easy to make some good friends to hang out with.

Remember LECOM has cheap tuition. Any Q's pm me. GOODLUCK!

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW, downtown West Virginia where the party is !

wv_view.jpg

The environment and surrounding area is not very high on my priority list. What I am most interested in is the quality of the education and the type of training and exposures I may receive during rotations.

It's actually funny how you mentioned West Virginia because that is also another one of the schools I have been accepted into.

I received a good vibe from the students and the staff was really helpful in processing my files in a timely manner. If there is supposed to be any "ego" associated with the school and its faculty, it doesn't concern me as well. Just the education and rotations.

I am aware that it is somewhat rural (which explains some of the comments regarding Millcreek).

The city pics mean nothing- you'll spend most of your time in a library or at home studying anyway (believe me). You'll get a quality education at LECOM [look at their match list] (or wherever you end up)- its what you make of it.

I was trying to read through the forums on why I shouldn't go to LECOM-Erie, but quickly realized it was a complete wasteland. Full of run-on sentences, holes in arguments, and an aroma of immaturity, I couldn't find any solid evidence or experiences. So please, if someone can please tell me what it is I'm missing. I am deciding between some schools and any insight into LECOM-Erie would really help. Thank you.

If you go to LECOM just be prepared to succeed despite the school. Take the USMLE's, and do all of your electives at Large ACGME academic institutions.

My wife has a huge Italian-american family in Buffalo & she's spent a lot of ATP trying to get us to move back there from the midwest. That having been said, I'm at LECOM 'cuz I didn't get into UB. I got into other schools, but none of them were close to Buffalo. When I read all of the Shigella-laden posts knockin' LECOM on SDN, I kinda freaked. After all, oppression stops the learning process. I have since learned, among other things, that the haploid ingesters who tried to warn us away from LECOM were the class filter-feeders complaining about the stuff for which they had knowingly signed on. Yes, there's a dress code, grow up. Yes, there's an honor code, be accountable. Yes, there's an attendance policy, choose ISP or PBL. Medical school is an unholy grind, whether your on Grand Cayman or at Harvard, but if you apply yourself appropriately (maximally), you will succeed. LECOM WILL educate you well. Forget the grain of salt, just go ahead & IGNORE the knuckle-draggers who will try to warn you away from LECOM. I like it here & I am succeeding. The only thing wrong with Erie is the fundamental lack of Thai food.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pick a school.... Any school... and someone will complain about it.

To the OP:

Dude, I go to LECOM-Erie. It's just fine here. Don't pay attention to all the non-sense you hear. I really don't know why people are always disgruntled. Why don't you compare the downtown Erie area to somewhere like West Virginia, where that is rural lol.

I like it here to be honest, especially for what I came to do. There's things to do, but most importantly I'm not distracted from my work.

Also, the education is really good. The really teach you for the boards. When we finished anatomy, we took the NBME Shelf Exam. The national average was 490. My class averaged at 520 and there were 5 people or so who scored 750-770.

Keep your mindset straight and you'll be fine. Also, 98% of the people aren't from here so it's easy to make some good friends to hang out with.

Remember LECOM has cheap tuition. Any Q's pm me. GOODLUCK!

I just decided that I'm going to LECOM and sent my matriculation money in this week. I'm glad that you seem to like it at LECOM. I really liked the program and I think I'll be really happy in Erie. Maybe I'll see you around next year :)

The arguments against LECOM-Erie don't seem to be connected with the school, rather with the rules (which don't at all bother me).

It's refreshing to hear different perspectives. I also did get accepted into LECOM-Bradenton, but need to get out of Florida. My graduate work at Miami really messed up my impression of the state. People are very rude! :-(

Again, any Q's feel free to pm me. If you want more free time, chose LDP because that's where it is. I'm LDP and I have much more free time than my ISP and PBL friends lol

ISP is tough at first because everybody has to change study gears. I think everyone in my class would agree with my assessment that now that we know up from down, as it were, it's getting a lot better. It's like getting shot out of a cannon; the first cupla times really freak you out, but after that, it's just another day at the office. Please, if you have any questions, feel free to PM bkpa2med, 'cuz he has way too much free time.

P.S. Shout out to Dr. Vitale...Kaplah!!!!

To the OP,

Hating on LECOM has been rampant on SDN for years. The big things are the ****ty location, dress code and attendance policy. The didactics don't get much love either.

To anyone that is having doubts about LECOM from all the trash on SDN, I feel ya. The same happened last year during the interview process time, and I'm sure it happened the year before that. I defended LECOM against all the negativity, and people would respond, I did that too before I got here but changed my mind. I, however, have not changed my mind and still think this is a top quality school, which will give me many opportunities after graduation. I have made many great relationships, have received a top-quality education, and feel that LECOM-Erie is a school that is continually striving to improve itself. I think LECOM is trying to eventually reach University status because they continually are buying real estate to expand their educational programs and other areas for the community and student body. They are under way constructing a $30 million health and wellness center that will have many different physician offices as well as a state of the art wellness center for the students and public. This should be done by next fall, just in time for the next incoming classes. LECOM also bought one of the local restaurants, which they are converting into a cafe/study area off campus. This is perfect if you don't want to study with the other Borders/Barnes and Noble patrons. As for the city itself, yes Erie doesn't look like Chicago, but how many cities do? However, Presque Isle and the Bayfront are beautiful during the off winter months and are perfect for getting away for the day. All in all, for the price, education, and opportunities, you can't really beat LECOM. Oh yeah, ISP kicks that crap out of LDP. That's for you Bkpa :laugh:

Pick a school.... Any school... and someone will complain about it.

I have to agree. No medical school will work for every student. Unfortunately, it's impossible to know if the school will work for you until you get there. Every school has something that will irritate someone. I could rant for hours about the things that I hated during my first year.

If it's really all that bad, transfer if you can. If not, just keep your head down and get through it.

To respond to my buddies amindwalker and buckeye,

You know your ISP if this is you!:lol:

toilet.jpg

They bash on LECOM because LECOM hates puppies.

First, u should reconsider wanting to be dr, but if you still want to attend then LECOM is as good as any other med school. Yes, location sucks a big one. Yes, it snows a lot. Yes, Lecom has crazy rules, like not being able to eat or drink anywhere but the cafeteria. I had a big problem with not being able to drink water during lecture or while studying in the library.

Pros:
1. cheap tuition/ living expense..( u can probably buy a property with your loan money if u really want to.. i wouldn't, but some people do)

2. NO distractions: i mean absolutely no distractions: few bars here and there, nothing like philly/chicago/other bigger cities. Oh, Erie, club scene is interesting.

3. professors usually know what they are doing and they gear u towards the boards. they want higher score which makes them look good.

4. did i mention no distraction?? u either study or ... look out the window and stare at snow all day. if you can't focus here, good luck studying anywhere else.

5. erie people are generally nice:except my landlord!

Cons:

1. far away from everything. I'm not from around here so I have to drive 5-6 hrs to get to east coast. Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and buffalo are all like 1.5-2hrs away.

2. administration is a little crazy. you do not have access to certain parts of the school, even though the rooms maybe empty. And my chief complaint as mentioned above: you can't drink or eat. they will crucify you if they catch u drinking out of something other than water fountain.

3. snow. i think it snows like 3 days out of the week since november( okay, little exaggeration, but it seems like it, which= seasonal depression.

4. lack of diversity in and around LECOM: umm, good ethnic food is out of the question! get used to eating @ perkins, olive garden, and tim hortons.

5. did i mention snow, crazy administration, and isolation??

But honestly it's not bad here. If you dont want to sit in lecture all day choose ISP/PBL. I'm in ISP and students in PBL love their pathway too.

Just beware, first 3 months everyone goes to class for anatomy, histo, embryo, med soc, and some other crap classes.

umm, I have a question about matches though! any one have LECOM's match list? I dont mind the classes, but I personally have no idea on rotation and match list for LECOM. I would look and compare the match list before making decisions.

umm, I have a question about matches though! any one have LECOM's match list? I dont mind the classes, but I personally have no idea on rotation and match list for LECOM. I would look and compare the match list before making decisions.

They give you a copy of last year's match list at your interview. I'll post it on here when I get home tonight though.

Dang lastchance, you make LECOM sound like highschool. Are you just upset because Michigan got it handed to them again by Ohio State, and basically made their coach resign?:smuggrin:

Why can you not drink water during lecture or while studying? Every time you're thirsty, you have to drop everything you're doing and head to the water fountain? :confused:

Why can you not drink water during lecture or while studying? Every time you're thirsty, you have to drop everything you're doing and head to the water fountain? :confused:

Yes.

You wouldnt piss in the corner of the classroom would you?

Keep intake and output activities in their designated areas of the building please.

:rolleyes:

Yes.

You wouldnt piss in the corner of the classroom would you?

Keep intake and output activities in their designated areas of the building please.

:rolleyes:

I would say that is pretty tyrannical. Most people like to have goodies thrashed around their desk while studying

Again, then study in the cafe or go to wegmans lol

Again, then study in the cafe or go to wegmans lol

Ridiculous that you would have to do that.

Do they make you hold hands going from class to the cafeteria so no one gets lost?

First, u should reconsider wanting to be dr, but if you still want to attend then LECOM is as good as any other med school. Yes, location sucks a big one. Yes, it snows a lot. Yes, Lecom has crazy rules, like not being able to eat or drink anywhere but the cafeteria. I had a big problem with not being able to drink water during lecture or while studying in the library.

Pros:
1. cheap tuition/ living expense..( u can probably buy a property with your loan money if u really want to.. i wouldn't, but some people do)

2. NO distractions: i mean absolutely no distractions: few bars here and there, nothing like philly/chicago/other bigger cities. Oh, Erie, club scene is interesting.

3. professors usually know what they are doing and they gear u towards the boards. they want higher score which makes them look good.

4. did i mention no distraction?? u either study or ... look out the window and stare at snow all day. if you can't focus here, good luck studying anywhere else.

5. erie people are generally nice:except my landlord!

Cons:

1. far away from everything. I'm not from around here so I have to drive 5-6 hrs to get to east coast. Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and buffalo are all like 1.5-2hrs away.

2. administration is a little crazy. you do not have access to certain parts of the school, even though the rooms maybe empty. And my chief complaint as mentioned above: you can't drink or eat. they will crucify you if they catch u drinking out of something other than water fountain.

3. snow. i think it snows like 3 days out of the week since november( okay, little exaggeration, but it seems like it, which= seasonal depression.

4. lack of diversity in and around LECOM: umm, good ethnic food is out of the question! get used to eating @ perkins, olive garden, and tim hortons.

5. did i mention snow, crazy administration, and isolation??

But honestly it's not bad here. If you dont want to sit in lecture all day choose ISP/PBL. I'm in ISP and students in PBL love their pathway too.

Just beware, first 3 months everyone goes to class for anatomy, histo, embryo, med soc, and some other crap classes.

What would they really do for eating/drinking elsewhere? Let's be honest, you aren't getting expelled/reprimanded for eating/drinking at the wrong places. I'd totally break that rule repeatedly. Screw them, they're getting my 25-30k per year. They can afford a janitorial staff like every other place (not that I don't throw my stuff away, but that surely is the concern..)

Honestly, they tried a no eating policy in classrooms at PSU last year. Lasted for like a week...

What would they really do for eating/drinking elsewhere? Let's be honest, you aren't getting expelled/reprimanded for eating/drinking at the wrong places. I'd totally break that rule repeatedly. Screw them, they're getting my 25-30k per year. They can afford a janitorial staff like every other place (not that I don't throw my stuff away, but that surely is the concern..)

Honestly, they tried a no eating policy in classrooms at PSU last year. Lasted for like a week...

I concur. It is a hasty policy

:laugh: When the great and powerful OZ has spoken, the people in the Emerald City obey or else.

:laugh: When the great and powerful OZ has spoken, the people in the Emerald City obey or else.

That's true. They do give you a pretty good talk if you are drinking/eating where you're not allowed. If you can handle the somewhat silly rules, it's great. If you are gonna get all pissed off about something that you know is not going to change, not only is it going to waste your time and energy but it's also gonna make you miserable at LECOM.

I like it here a lot. I'm from Philly and I love the area in Erie, I also love the snow (of course it's still early in the season, this could change!). I also feel like I am getting a good education and will have a lot less debt.

They're really picky about the whole water thing 'cuz some of the admin actually melt if you get water on them. I don't really mean it, they've always been nice to me. I just couldn't stop my fingers from typing it. Just don't drop a house on anyone's sister. That happened to one of our faculty MDs, we all had to come in on saturday & write a 500 word essay.

They're really picky about the whole water thing 'cuz some of the admin actually melt if you get water on them. I don't really mean it, they've always been nice to me. I just couldn't stop my fingers from typing it. Just don't drop a house on anyone's sister. That happened to one of our faculty MDs, we all had to come in on saturday & write a 500 word essay.

That is classic!!!! Just the laugh I needed to continue studying for many more hours tonight!!!!

Downtown Erie, PA

erie_downtown.jpg

1351958483_0346285f79.jpg

emta1.jpg

Downtown Philadelphia, PA

city-lights.jpg

10.PhillyAerials1-B.KristG.jpg

496037670_682a876730.jpg

Im just sayin...

The only problem is when get OUTSIDE downtown Philly you enter into a third world country.