Why are people obsessed with USC School of Dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redhotchiligochu

D3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello predents, fellow dental school students, and lurkers:

I'm currently a D1 attending my top choice university and I've been REALLY curious as to why people are enamored by USC. Is it their diverse student body? The prestigious "brand name?" Or is it the "OMFG it's in Southern California and there's famous people and celebrities, and miles of beaches, European imports and beautiful women" factor?

I bring this question up, because several of my classmates at XYZ School of Dentistry are all like "are you insane for turning down USC? I would have gone to that school in a heartbeat!" As if USC equaled Harvard/UCLA/UPenn/Columbia, etc...

I've never really quite understood its appeal, despite its problems with PBL, abysmal board pass rates, and insanely high cost of attendance. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

They are crooks (along with NYU) but people don't know better

why does it matter? you are at your dream school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For the same price students are paying at USC, you could get your degree from your state school and drive this beauty...

IMG_0852.JPG

Big Hoss

Reactions: 14 users
Someone is second doubting himself/herself and wanting reassurance from the same people who told him/her to turn down a great school like USC lol

USC has the Trojan family. People in socal know what that name means. Also, students are great, faculty is supportive, all around great program. But yes, for 99k tuition a year I would go literally anywhere else (...and I'm an undergrad alumna and love that school to no end ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

USC is "namebrand". From your signature, I assume you're going to MN. Isn't MN pretty expensive for OOS too? So maybe they're surprised because they think if you're going to spend close to 500k for both schools, why not go to USC?

But also, I'd say people not from California have a fascination with the state. I'm from CA but go to undergrad outside the state and everyone is always like "OMG why would you leave California?????????"

USC is "namebrand". From your signature, I assume you're going to MN. Isn't MN pretty expensive for OOS too? So maybe they're surprised because they think if you're going to spend close to 500k for both schools, why not go to USC?

But also, I'd say people not from California have a fascination with the state. I'm from CA but go to undergrad outside the state and everyone is always like "OMG why would you leave California?????????"
Tuition is about the same frankly (with lower fees for UMN), but COA for Los Angeles living is grossly understated in the financial aid reward package. It's definitely much cheaper to live in Minneapolis. It's not unheard of for students at USC to take additional private loans to finance their cost of living--even HPSP scholars take out additional loans because their ~$2k stipend isn't enough.

But yes, it's reassuring to hear 2nd opinions from another Californian, and I get the same "why did you leave California?" question way too many times. It's crazy that people think I'm crazy for leaving California

Reactions: 1 user