why are private CA schools OOS unfriendly??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hunterx2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ppl,

I'm looking at doc toothache's Guide to Dental School Admission

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=942453

According to section 3, the two private CA schools, UoP and USC, heavily favor in state applicants despite being private schools.

For UoP, 104/1213 in state applicants were accepted (9%). But only 73/1942 for OOS (2%).

For USC, it's 102/1216 (8%) vs 42/2246 (also 2%).

So basically you have a 4x greater chance of getting in if you are in state, even though these are private schools that do not get state funding. So why do they discriminate against OOS?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi ppl,

According to section 3, the two private CA schools, UoP and USC, heavily favor in state applicants despite being private schools.

For UoP, 104/1213 in state applicants were accepted (9%). But only 73/1942 for OOS (2%).

So basically you have a 4x greater chance of getting in if you are in state, even though these are private schools that do not get state funding. So why do they discriminate against OOS?

In conjunction with generous-private funding by alumni and perhaps private interests, I suppose.

http://dentistry.usc.edu/alumni/newsletter/
http://www.dental.pacific.edu/The_Dugoni_Experience/Our_Family.html#Donors

Not sure about USC, but UoP has a Pre-Dental advantage program from its undergrad campus, so they are bound to interview those undergrads that pass the minimum requirements, and at UoP an interview is basically an acceptance, so that might contribute to the factor. Around 40-50 of 140-145 seats from UoP is filled by their undergrad students.

The same might apply for USC. They might just favor their undergrad students, a lot of which are probably in state applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi ppl,

Because California is one of the few states that has state schools that are more difficult to get into than the private schools.

Also, California residents are MORE likely to accept their acceptance. This is because they have a support system here (family, friends, possible job opportunities).

Because California is one of the few states that has state schools that are more difficult to get into than the private schools.

Also, California residents are MORE likely to accept their acceptance. This is because they have a support system here (family, friends, possible job opportunities).

This I believe is key. As a result, these private schools are also more likely to accept California residents in the first place due to their likelihood in accepting the offer.

Also, California residents are MORE likely to accept their acceptance

But the numbers I quoted are the number of ppl who were accepted, not the numbers who enrolled. Of course a greater percentage of CA residents will enroll, but the likelihood of enrollment should not have anything to do with accepting somebody in the first place ?? It is not just a small difference, we're talking 8-9% vs 2%, a 4 fold difference !

But the numbers I quoted are the number of ppl who were accepted, not the numbers who enrolled. Of course a greater percentage of CA residents will enroll, but the likelihood of enrollment should not have anything to do with accepting somebody in the first place ?? It is not just a small difference, we're talking 8-9% vs 2%, a 4 fold difference !

It has everything to do with accepting somebody in the first place. A school always tries to reduce the acceptances they give out in order to fill the class and therefore they are more likely to accept CA residents.

The fewer students they accept to fill their class makes the school more "selective" and will more likely raise their stats for enrolled students.

I know. Just apply there anyways; if you have the resources that is. What's the worst that can happen? Acceptance rate to Harvard for undergrad is currently at ~6% (collegeboard) and 4.33% in '12 for their d-school. You can fiddle with the numbers all day, but in the end you either get in or you don't. Think of these numbers as Chuck Norris sitting on the rocking chair in your room at night.

Maybe with enough complaints to our congressman/woman we can have these supplemental fee written off under "charitable donations." Food ain't gonna appear on the ADCOMS' dinner table out of thin air.