Why are so many non US IMG filling residency spots?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well why don't we try to focus on those of us who are nearing completion our medical education rather than those of us who were unsuccessful doing so. Oh and a good number drop out of stateside schools especially DO ones too

Because those of you nearing completion in the Caribbean wouldn't be in this awful position is the US didn't agree to fund your education for a near worthless degree.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Because those of you nearing completion in the Caribbean wouldn't be in this awful position is the US didn't agree to fund your education for a near worthless degree.

I didn't take any student loans. Nor did a good number of my classmates. Get over yourself.

I apologize for sidetracking, but I stumbled upon one of the earlier replies here that had a link to general surgery resident list at a pretty prestigious program. It was surprising to see no DOs at all while it had a significant number of FMGs. As an incoming DO student it’s a little frustrating to see programs like this...

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly. People here are really making me out to be some sort of xenophobe when that isn't the case at all. I have no problem with immigration and allowing immigrants access to jobs here. What I have a problem with is them threatening the livelihood of American citizens when they don't have any real basis on being here in the first place. If they want to be a doctor here so badly they should immigrate here like everyone else, work in a related field for several years, gain citizenship, show an actual commitment to this nation, and then try to match. I would have no problem with that scenario at all.

Immigrants to the US are not really wanted unless they have a skill set. FMGs come when they come because they have acquired a wanted skill set at that time. This has nothing to do with their commitment to the nation, to use your words. Most of them don’t even earn citizenship after they go through residency and fellowship. They pay taxes here and take care of American patients without citizenship or right to vote. I think that is commitment.

Reactions: 4 users
Well, OP is kind of making the same argument... He is an American who speaks the language and understands the culture very well so why shouldn't he has a leg up over an FMG with an accent and has never lived in the US? By the way, I am an AMG with an accent so nothing against people who speak with an accent.

Wait, what?? How you being at an LCME school, guaranteeing knowledge/exposure to certain things the same as the OP saying he deserves a spot because he doesn't have an accent? What?!?

Reactions: 3 users
Immigrants to the US are not really wanted unless they have a skill set. FMGs come when they come because they have acquired a wanted skill set at that time. This has nothing to do with their commitment to the nation, to use your words. Most of them don’t even earn citizenship after they go through residency and fellowship. They pay taxes here and take care of American patients without citizenship or right to vote. I think that is commitment.

Yeah its commitment to making money in the most highly compensated healthcare system in the world. I'm not sure what else it shows commitment to though. Most I have worked with hate the patients, the program, and are only in it for money.

Yeah its commitment to making money in the most highly compensated healthcare system in the world. I'm not sure what else it shows commitment to though. Most I have worked with hate the patients, the program, and are only in it for money.
.. and on that cheerful note.

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
Status
Not open for further replies.