Why are so many pre-meds obnoxious tools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperTrooper

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody got an explanation?!

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody got an explanation?!

'Cause their buttocks are clenched and welded shut. Oh yeah, some also have their head in it.

Point is case: my buttocks is clenched like Renee Zelwigger's face.

I love how this is right next to a thread titled "Am I good enough for HARVARD?" :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
i wonder that too.

i've been trying to figure out why people are so mean on here...sometimes i'll read someone's question and think it's perfectly legitimate so i'll respond. then two minutes later, i'll see 5 other mean responses, attacking the OP. and some people just tend to really come across as being stuck-up know-it-alls when they're actually in the same position as the rest of us.

i don't get it.

It's application time, which brings in a whole lotta distress and fear. Fear manifests as fight-or-flight; in that state, people can freeze-fight-faint-flee. Plenty of people choose the "fight" response and attack. QED :D

Members don't see this ad :)
what a great thread. i think pre-meds are tools because are forced to jump through hoops - hoops created by the system that creates doctors - you kind of have to be a tool, the AAMC's tool maybe?, in order to succeed!

Besides, theres your professional life (MD obsession) and your personal life. Some people just have a harder time keeping their tool-ness out of their personal life/personality...

in representing doctors or the spouses of doctors in their divorces. Pretty sad. Yep, get a life...a life besides your tenous identity as a doc.

This is why:

Head_up_Ass.jpg

I love that word: Tool. Hehe, Tool, Tool, Tool. I just love saying it and/or using it in context. Like "I love calling people useless Tools."

I think we have to jump through so many hoops to get into med school, that it is easy to become a tool without even knowing it. I don't mean to criticize, but everyone who complains about tools, probably has at least a little "tool" in themselves. It's hard not to in this process.

Most pre-meds are annoying tools. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to see this. Hopefully, we won't feel the same way in med school.

i wonder that too.

i've been trying to figure out why people are so mean on here...sometimes i'll read someone's question and think it's perfectly legitimate so i'll respond. then two minutes later, i'll see 5 other mean responses, attacking the OP. and some people just tend to really come across as being stuck-up know-it-alls when they're actually in the same position as the rest of us.

i don't get it.
yeah - I've got a friend who had a 36 on the MCAT, but was rejected from all his state (Cali) schools, and was waitlisted at only MCW, and got in very, very close to the first day of orientation. Lots of people assume that a high MCAT = easy applications. So, someone who's concerned might get a lot of angry responses from people who think that they've got it easy.

Most pre-meds are annoying tools. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one to see this. Hopefully, we won't feel the same way in med school.

I'm afraid to tell you that med school is FULL of pre-meds (do I need to say "duh"?).

Sorry. The tools will still be there, in larger quantities, under the same roof, and with a higher stress level. :laugh:

It's only going to get worse. :eek:

I'm afraid to tell you that med school is FULL of pre-meds (do I need to say "duh"?).

Sorry. The tools will still be there, in larger quantities, under the same roof, and with a higher stress level. :laugh:

Aren't you a little ray of sunshine? :laugh:

Yeah. It seems that the application process weeds out the less obnoxious ones.

Let me add that once these tools successfully get in, they treat it as an affirmation of their "greatness," and therefore increases their obnoxiousness exponentially.

Yeah. It seems that the application process weeds out the less obnoxious ones.

Let me add that once these tools successfully get in, they treat it as an affirmation of their "greatness," and therefore increases their obnoxiousness exponentially.

Haha :laugh:

And unlike limited enzymes, they do not have such thing as "saturation levels." The curve just keeps going up and up and up exponentially. It's like an unlimited enzyme supply!!!!! It just keeps catalizing the obnoxiousness/toolness of these people.

(Please ignore the obvious pre-med nerditude of the previous comment...I've been studying too long okay? It seemed like a perfect analogy.)

Obnoxious: We don't go outside. We have no motor skills, no depth perception past a few inches, and without any social interaction, our ability to perceive others is nonexistant.

Tool: We do what we are told. We screw people over to do what we are told. We can do many things, but we cannot think...unless it is about doing what we are told.
-Dr. P.

Haha :laugh:

And unlike limited enzymes, they do not have such thing as "saturation levels." The curve just keeps going up and up and up exponentially. It's like an unlimited enzyme supply!!!!! It just keeps catalizing the obnoxiousness/toolness of these people.

By your enzyme kinetics analogy, sounds like you're taking biochem now.

I'm taking anatomy, so I'll just compare them to the rectoanal junction. Goes from bad to worse.

By your enzyme kinetics analogy, sounds like you're taking biochem now.

I'm taking anatomy, so I'll just compare them to the rectoanal junction. Goes from bad to worse.

I took biochem last semester...great class, but I'm afraid I'll never be able to forget M-M kinetics. I've been forever traumatized. :laugh:

Baylormed, are you a guy? Jk...

Anyway... this whole 'tool' thread -- it just reminds me of that saying of the pot calling the kettle black. Perhaps merely by posting on SDN alone, other non-posters would consider you all to be 'tools'?

I don't think I'm a tool and try not to ever act like one, but then again, people always form their own judgments (sometimes in spite of all evidence to the contrary). So... who knows, really? I don't care what other people think. If I'm trying to get into medical school, I will do what I can... and then if I'm in, then I'll do my best to get as good grades as I can... I don't intentionally put anyone down and I always try to help people out in the meantime, even in the face of disagreements.

Just trying to say that starting a 'tool' thread such as this is playing with fire -- who is to say that others don't consider you a tool?

The only true tools out there are the trolls that put other people down and/or complain about their applications in such a way that it is really bragging about their stats -- every other pre-med, to me at least, is just doing what s/he can to try to succeed in medical school and that is a perfectly acceptable course of action (remember, this is just my point of view).

Baylormed, are you a guy? Jk...

Anyway... this whole 'tool' thread -- it just reminds me of that saying of the pot calling the kettle black. Perhaps merely by posting on SDN alone, other non-posters would consider you all to be 'tools'?

I don't think I'm a tool and try not to ever act like one, but then again, people always form their own judgments (sometimes in spite of all evidence to the contrary). So... who knows, really? I don't care what other people think. If I'm trying to get into medical school, I will do what I can... and then if I'm in, then I'll do my best to get as good grades as I can... I don't intentionally put anyone down and I always try to help people out in the meantime, even in the face of disagreements.

Just trying to say that starting a 'tool' thread such as this is playing with fire -- who is to say that others don't consider you a tool?

The only true tools out there are the trolls that put other people down and/or complain about their applications in such a way that it is really bragging about their stats -- every other pre-med, to me at least, is just doing what s/he can to try to succeed in medical school and that is a perfectly acceptable course of action (remember, this is just my point of view).

I agree with you on this one. The fact that we are all on SDN just proves we are probably if not 100%, at least part-tool. We all do nerdy things and might come across as obnoxious to our non-pre-medical classmates.

One of the techniques I've developed lately, is that I never identify myself as pre-med, unless someone asks me directly. But if for example, a professor asks us during class to raise our hands, I will not raise my hand. ;)

Also, this summer I made the promise I would keep all my application business to myself. Nobody knows my MCAT score / gpa / how many interviews I have / etc. except my parents, my roomate and some close friends (none of whom are pre-med, by the way), and me. And of course, who ever reads my MD APPS profile, but they don't know me so who cares?

It's been quite a stress-reliever to do this. I feel less pressure, and I get less stupid comments from fellow pre-meds. When people ask (as they inevitably do) I just politely say I'm keeping that to myself.

IT WORKS!!! I feel LIBERATED!!! :laugh:

Let's embrace our toolness/part-toolness, but promise not impose it on others!!! :p

i wonder that too.

i don't get it.

Amen, Sister. Why can't we all just get along. There is enought love to go around and then some :love:

PG

We're not just obnoxious! Some of us are stupid too! :laugh:.

uhhhh.....I think you're gonna have to explain that one to me.

uhhhh.....I think you're gonna have to explain that one to me.

Now you're just playing with me, aren't you? :sleep:

The reply to your post: No.

See that's exactly what I'm talking about.

Dood. It's like totally the Ego maaan. Gotta leeeearrrn to let gooooo. Go buddhism doood - non duality and like... stuff man! Dood, I'm going for some ice cream. Late!

First rule about being (a non-jerky) pre-med? Don't talk about being a pre-med.

And for goodness sake, stop answering so many damn questions in class. We know you know the answer. The majority of us know it too - but somewhere between kindergarten and the womb we learned we weren't the only people capable of answering damn questions when asked.

i wonder that too.

i don't get it.

I totally agree...my god it's an internet forum- if you see a post you consider annoying/irrelevant- ignore it! People get over zealous about who can be the first one to call a poster a troll...even when the question is legitimate. And I really hate the "Shut up- do a search, this question has been asked before". Has anyone ever used the search fxn on here? It's pretty ghetto, I search for stuff all the time that I know is on here but can usually not find it because it's hard to get the exact key words right. People really need to lighten up on here. I think one of the reasons I wasn't pre-med in undergrad is that I couldn't imagine spending another 4+ years with dinguses like the pre-meds at my school. Now I realize it really does take a certain amount of ruthlessness/nerdiness/gunnerness to get into med school and that's why alot of pre-meds are tools.

I know a premed who would wear scrubs around as an undergraduate. He'd wear 'em while working a computer lab.

I've read on here stories about how premeds shadow in a hospital and pretend to be a doctor, even answering phone calls and saying "This is Dr. so and so, please send the lab results to so-and-so".

Some premeds like to begin every conversation with an initial exchange of MCAT score-results. "Hey, man I only got a 36 on the MCAT, that sucks. How'd you do? At least a 34 I'm sure!"

My favorite are premeds who argue over a single point, or some other meaningless small amount of credit, on a test or homework. "This 94 is not good enough, I demand a 95!"

Anyone else wanna add more traits to characterize advanced on-set Premed Syndrome?

I know a premed who would wear scrubs around as an undergraduate. He'd wear 'em while working a computer lab.

I've read on here stories about how premeds shadow in a hospital and pretend to be a doctor, even answering phone calls and saying "This is Dr. so and so, please send the lab results to so-and-so".

Some premeds like to begin every conversation with an initial exchange of MCAT score-results. "Hey, man I only got a 36 on the MCAT, that sucks. How'd you do? At least a 34 I'm sure!"

My favorite are premeds who argue over a single point, or some other meaningless small amount of credit, on a test or homework. "This 94 is not good enough, I demand a 95!"

Anyone else wanna add more traits to characterize advanced on-set Premed Syndrome?

yes, the mdapplicants.com links-->most of which are in 33-45 range-->it is just a big, look who is smarter than me contest. what's the point?

Tools exist in every area of academia and occupation. I am an engineering major and would have to say most of my professors this year are tools. They act the same way as premeds when they talk about all the research they do.

Tools exist in every area of academia and occupation. I am an engineering major and would have to say most of my professors this year are tools. They act the same way as premeds when they talk about all the research they do.

I personally love that fact that (nearly) everyone on this site is obsessed with Harvard. Honestly, people...there are other good medical schools.

Says the guy who's name is mirror-todd....

What are you talking about. I totally made up the Todd way before scrubs. I was him during Halloween one year and they stole the idea from me. You don't have to believe me, it won't change the truth. And a couple of :sleep: :sleep: in honor of Dr. Eugenic. Is he still around?