Why are there a lot of female pharmacists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superflunker87

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been wondering about this question for awhile and then I thought to myself why not ask the pharmacists on this board! I read in a few articles that there are more female than male pharmacists. And the school that I will apply to has a ratio of 66% female to 33% males. Don't get me wrong, I'm a guy and I'm not complaining ;) but I just wanna know, why are there a lot more female pharmacists than males?

Members don't see this ad.

superflunker87 said:
Hi, I've been wondering about this question for awhile and then I thought to myself why not ask the pharmacists on this board! I read in a few articles that there are more female than male pharmacists. And the school that I will apply to has a ratio of 66% female to 33% males. Don't get me wrong, I'm a guy and I'm not complaining ;) but I just wanna know, why are there a lot more female pharmacists than males?

I was wondering that myself. Any ladies want to elaborate with personal experience as to why you chose Pharmacy as a career.

Personally, I think that pharmacy provides a very flexible career for a woman. You have a choice of going to a pharmacy school for four years and then getting a job with a decent pay right away after you graduate (unlike med school where you must do a residency). Moreover, many women want to have kids, and pharmacy makes it easy to have a part-time job and at the same time to care for a young child. Pharmacy provides felxible hours which other medical professions do not offer. Males do not give birth to children, and in most cases, they spend less time with their children than their wives/girlfirends. Therefore, flexibility of hours is not an issue for the most men.

Members don't see this ad :)
superflunker87 said:

Not just pharmacy, but across the whole college board as well....

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2005-10-19-male-college-cover_x.htm

Well....I'll give you my perspective on who goes into a field, which is what helped form my decision 35 years ago.

Generally, I think the people who are interested in pharmacy must have an interest in chemistry, molecular biology, biochemistry, math...or something along those lines. The career choices are either to do the academic route (PhD, etc...), stay with the BS or get an MS, or go on to a graduate professional program (MD/DO, PharmD, DDS, etc...).

The PhD route requires someone who just loves their science enough to pursue it no matter what. The individual may or may not discover something of significance in their field, but loves doing all the same & is willing to take all the bad with the good - grant writing & teaching freshman chemistry. I think this field is equally divided between men & women currently (but that's just an opinion - no fact to back up that statement).

The BS/MS choice I think appeals to women also. These are people who like the bench labwork & don't want to get into the academic political mess that comes with the PhD process of universities. They can work for universities or private industry, but they are those people in your chemistry lab class who smile the whole 3 hours of lab :) .

The professional degree course attracts all the rest - just an opinion. But, now personalities & personal preferences come into play. Some people like to be employees only (pharmacists, lab techs, etc) Some would rather have the autonomy of being their own boss (dentists, podiatrists). Some like to pursue the area of diagnostics rather than the area of treatment (physicians). Some love to work with their hands (dentists, surgeons). None of this is gender related - men & women gravitate to all areas. I will agree the duration of education puts some women off, particularly if they have an SO when having to decide what to pursue. Some feel they have to put off the personal relationship part of their life while getting their education, which I don't think is the case (altho some cultures insist on it).

These days, I think, people make career choices before making interest choices - which may backfire. I had already made my career choice & met & married my husband while in pharmacy school. One poster said the husband may not spend as much time with children, but that certainly didn't work in my situation. My husband had to take on the sole role (homework, dinner, baths, bedtime) when I worked evening shifts for a week at a time. I've spent every other weekend for the last 30 years working, so he had to do dancing lessons, soccer games, swimming lessons, etc...No to mention the Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners he has fixed over the years.....

Yes there is flexibility in pharmacy, but my female friends who are dentists & physicians are more flexible time wise than I am.

I think the more accurate question is why are fewer men attracted to pharmacy.....my speculation is there is less autonomy than years before. There is less chance to be your own boss than years before & the business side of retail ownership is brutal. Administrative positions vary equally between men & women, but in that field, you have to be willing to move - each couple, if they are a couple, has to make that decision & it can be dependent on what the SO does. But...I think men tend to move easier than women.....

Impatience leads to double posting....ack

The ability to live anywhere I want and be employed...

Good question. My decision thus far has nothing to do with it being easy or ideal for a woman. Actually, I believe it's a demanding job with long hours and little time for raising a family. So why are so many women going into this profession when it requires this kind of sacrifice? I can't say. My interest was sparked by the science/research of pharmacy and also the rewards.

After seeing the dramatic effects some drugs had on patients brought into the emergency room where I worked I became fascinated with how exactly drugs work. It was the science behind it all that got me so interested, nothing to do with juggling family and career, work schedules, etc.

I say the female domination is due to the male machismo! Most people see pharmacy as a "behind the scenes" branch of healthcare that fulfills orders made by others. Women are more accepting of these positions, and can find satisfaction in what they are doing without needing a lot of fanfare about it. Men, on the other hand, tend to need more power and recognition to stroke their egos. Now excuse me while I run to grab my flame shields.

Poland said:
Good question. My decision thus far has nothing to do with it being easy or ideal for a woman. Actually, I believe it's a demanding job with long hours and little time for raising a family. So why are so many women going into this profession when it requires this kind of sacrifice? I can't say. My interest was sparked by the science/research of pharmacy and also the rewards.

actually pharmacy is VERY FLEXABLE compared to other jobs. it does give you a lot of time to raise a kid. I wanted to do medical but i would have no social life if i was a doctor working 60 plus hours!

pharmacy for me as a women means less time to go to school compared to med school. so i can get out early and start having kids or get married and such without having to put it off til i am 28!

also the pay is good so i don't have to worry about the money if i remain single for the rest of my life.

i don't like the last post about how a women can just be behind the scenes while a man can't. i don't feel like being a pharmacist that i am behind the scenes. i help patients understand what to take with what med. and how to take it.

also i don't believe that pharmacy is the only thing being taken over by women. it seems all the colleges i looked at were full of women compared to men. except for engineering colleges like rose hulman and drexel. men seem to like engineering and that is about it hah.

PharmDeb said:
After seeing the dramatic effects some drugs had on patients brought into the emergency room where I worked I became fascinated with how exactly drugs work. It was the science behind it all that got me so interested, nothing to do with juggling family and career, work schedules, etc.

I say the female domination is due to the male machismo! Most people see pharmacy as a "behind the scenes" branch of healthcare that fulfills orders made by others. Women are more accepting of these positions, and can find satisfaction in what they are doing without needing a lot of fanfare about it. Men, on the other hand, tend to need more power and recognition to stroke their egos. Now excuse me while I run to grab my flame shields.

While we're saying ridiculous things, I could say that women just want to work a 40 hour a week job that won't stress their fraile made for house-keeping bodies too much. Men are the ones who work hard and make this country great ... or where ever greatness is. Women make sure they have clean homes to come home to.

Some silly, doesn't it? Well that's how naive you sound to me and everybody else.

Rxbound said:
The ability to live anywhere I want and be employed...
I'll second this post - it is a BIG reason that I am going back to school to get my PharmD. I had always been geographically tied to my husband's job, because he made much more money than I did. This won't be the case after I become a pharmacist - we will be able to mutually decide where is the best place to raise our family (he's in computers, so has more potential for telecommuting, contract work, etc.). We are strongly considering having him stop working for awhile - I guess we'll see how we feel about it in 4 years.

Also, in spite of the fact that pharmacy can demand long hours, it really depends on the practice setting that you chose to work in. To me, another thing that made pharmacy attractive over other medical fields is that it doesn't have to be the type of job where you take work home. Unlike business, consulting, medical, lawyer, etc. when you are working pharmacy (retail anyway) you work, and when you aren't at work you don't work. Nobody expects you to check your e-mail, carry a beeper or cell phone, etc. I think that is attractive to a lot of women (and probably men as well) because it enables you to better compartmentalize your life. In this age of instant communication and access everywhere, there aren't a lot of professional jobs that pay 100K a year that also let you be so free in your off hours to parent, sleep, travel, pursue hobbies, etc. I will personally never go back to a job that is scheduled 8-5 M-F, now that I've spent 6 years doing something more flexible.

Members don't see this ad :)
PHarmacy has such flexible hours and great pay. I am a male but I see why a female, who would want to be in charge of their sons and daughters would like the job. They can be at home with the kids and pull in a great income.

Now think about it, if both the husband and wife were pharmacists, they could pull in $200K and that would be equivalent to one doctor's salary minus all the malpractice headaches.

Actually, if both husband and wife were pharmacists, the best thing to do would be to bring in the pharmacists salary for a few years, and save up enough money to open up their OWN PHARMACY.

Someone can make the most money by opening up their own family-owned pharmacy.

How would someone start doing this, anyway? How would one order the drugs, if a pharmac y was only owned AND operated by two people? I think this is a great idea though.

Brixius said:
Some silly, doesn't it? Well that's how naive you sound to me and everybody else.
Ouch, that was harsh. I thought my post would start some good natured battle of the sexes ribbing. Guess it didn't come across that way. Sorry if I offended.

cdpiano27 said:
PHarmacy has such flexible hours and great pay. I am a male but I see why a female, who would want to be in charge of their sons and daughters would like the job. They can be at home with the kids and pull in a great income.

Now think about it, if both the husband and wife were pharmacists, they could pull in $200K and that would be equivalent to one doctor's salary minus all the malpractice headaches.

Actually, if both husband and wife were pharmacists, the best thing to do would be to bring in the pharmacists salary for a few years, and save up enough money to open up their OWN PHARMACY.

Someone can make the most money by opening up their own family-owned pharmacy.

How would someone start doing this, anyway? How would one order the drugs, if a pharmac y was only owned AND operated by two people? I think this is a great idea though.

Personally, I think running your own pharmacy would be great, but I'm not sure it is very easy to do. I think it could fly in a very small town, but lets face it the big dogs would eat you alive anywhere else.....CVS, Walgreens, Eckerd's...etc. Don't get me wrong I think there is a need for pharmacies that have more of a personal relationship with pts, but I just think it would be very Hard to start one.

kvl1027, I see that you live in Orlando.

I guess that you are right, a small family-owned chain could not do so well in a large city with CVS and Walgreens.

But how about opening a family chain in a town like Mount Dora or Eustis?

In the center of Mount Dora especially, I think a small pharmacy would be great in the quaint downtown area. Hopefully you know where I am talking about.

Or in Lady Lake, which is close to the Villages. In this area of Central Florida, there are many retired people and I think a small family-owned pharmacy might do well. especially in the area between Orlando and Ocala, where the big chains have not opened up that much.

I went to UCF for undergrad, even though I do not live in Florida anymore, so I am very familiar with the Central Florida area.

speednutsII said:
Yes, I've heard about that. More females are graduating from college. In addition, the femaile to male ratio is even shifting in other professional programs like medical school. Maybe not so much in computer science grad school programs though, but that's just conjecture :).

women POWER!

cdpiano27 said:
kvl1027, I see that you live in Orlando.

I guess that you are right, a small family-owned chain could not do so well in a large city with CVS and Walgreens.

But how about opening a family chain in a town like Mount Dora or Eustis?

In the center of Mount Dora especially, I think a small pharmacy would be great in the quaint downtown area. Hopefully you know where I am talking about.

Or in Lady Lake, which is close to the Villages. In this area of Central Florida, there are many retired people and I think a small family-owned pharmacy might do well. especially in the area between Orlando and Ocala, where the big chains have not opened up that much.

I went to UCF for undergrad, even though I do not live in Florida anymore, so I am very familiar with the Central Florida area.

Yeah, I think one could be successful in small towns like those. I definately think in a retirement type community like lady lake or the villages would do really well. The older community would really benefit from having more personal care and I think that is what they look for, not just being a number
waiting in line.

There are many independent pharmacies in the Tampa Bay area. I'm sure they're in Orlando, too. You just need to keep your eyes open for them. They tend to be near neighborhoods, not on busy street corners. Check out local strip malls, you'll see them. The clinic I worked at in Groveland had a branch in Leesburg (near the Villages), Winter Garden & Pine Hills all with their own pharmacies.

There is a guy in Tampa making big bucks with his pharmacy. He only sells generic meds and only takes cash. There's such a huge markup on generics. I've thought about this. If I was younger, I think I'd go for it.

PharmDeb said:

I agree with PharmDeb. Men want power and medicine is the "top dog" of the health care field. This is why men are likely to choose medicine, even dentistry over pharmacy.

pharmd4me@510 said:
I agree with PharmDeb. Men want power and medicine is the "top dog" of the health care field. This is why men are likely to choose medicine, even dentistry over pharmacy.

Either that or a higher percentage of women can't handle the lifestyle of a physician. ;)

I want to become a pharmacist because of all the chicks in school. Maybe I could snatch me up one when I get in. :D

acetyl said:
I want to become a pharmacist because of all the chicks in school. Maybe I could snatch me up one when I get in. :D

Haha, same here man.

acetyl said:

Just one?? :smuggrin:

ZpackSux said:
Just one?? :smuggrin:

Well, I suppose they out number us boys by more than two to one, so I guess having two ladies would be ok. More than two, however, may be considered greedy. :D

acetyl said:
Well, I suppose they out number us boys by more than two to one, so I guess having two ladies would be ok. More than two, however, may be considered greedy. :D

actually, more than one would make you a dawg...

ZpackSux said:
actually, more than one would make you a dawg...

Ok, mental note. No more than one hot pharmacy chick. What about a hot pharmacy chick and a hot integrated strategic communications chick?

acetyl said:
Ok, mental note. No more than one hot pharmacy chick. What about a hot pharmacy chick and a hot integrated strategic communications chick?

Dood.. get as many as you can handle.. :thumbup: