Why are there no PsyD rankings?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluegirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just don't get it -- I am baffled as to why there is no ranking system for PsyD programs... so I am looking for some feedback from you about the programs I'm considering.
Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Anyone applying to these programs or who knows anything about them, please respond.

So far, I'm applying to PGSP-Stanford, the Wright Institute, California Institute for Integral Studies, Xavier University, Widener and Rutgers. I haven't been able to get a read on their reputations anywhere, except PGSP, which some people in this forum said was really good --- and really expensive.

It seems only one of these offers tuition remission, unless my research has missed something.

Frustrated,
BG

Members don't see this ad.

I would say Rutgers is the most highly regarded out of those.

I go to Xavier University and am willing to answer any q's you have about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i'd like to know too! what is considered the best psyD program? (aside from the pepperdine one.. its too expensive for me)

I believe that Baylor is the only PsyD program ranked in the "Best Clinical Psychology" US News Rankings (all the rest are PhD programs... I think Baylor was like #77 or something)...
dont know if that helps anyone

It's important to be cautious when considering such rankings. There is a lot of controversy around the methodology used by many rating systems (e.g., US News and World report) - some links to articles on the topic appear below. In any case, just make sure you know the methodology behind the rankings. It can become confusing, especially when some programs advertise how well they did in the rankings. I guess it makes sense for them (if you're ranked highly by anyone, people might perceive that as impressive), but it can be misleading. Remeber that the APA does not rank graduate programs.

Also be cautious about clinical doctoral program rankings based on EPPP scores (http://www.socialpsychology.org/clinrank.htm) -- this also really tells you nothing. How people perform on the EPPP depends on individual factors (how well you can memorize information, how much or how long you studied, etc).

Probably your best bet is to get the opinions of trusted others (but take opinions with a grain of salt) and really just look for a program that's a good fit for you.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/apr98/rankle.html
APA Monitor article reflecting criticism (from 1998, but likely still relevant)

http://www.library.uiuc.edu/edx/rankoversy.htm
cautions about rankings in general

http://www.sls.lib.il.us/reference/por/features/99/collrank.html
more general info

http://www.siop.org/gtp/io_schoolrank_guide.htm
questions to ask yourself about ratings

IMHO, the quality of the program is best determined by speaking with current and former students. You will then be able to get a good idea of the ins and outs of the program. Speak with faculty, try to get as frank as you can with their views on the program. While at Argosy in their MA program, I would often talked with the students and faculty and I got what I thought were very honest and frank answers about the proram. Some felt AU needed more time to prove itself, some students worried about perception after graduation given the "diploma mill" rep, some faculty saw it as a way to GET their foot in the door as far as academia goes. Go to open houses, TALK TALK TALK and ASK LOTS of questions.

I tend not to rely on random opinions of people because everyone has one and it tends to change with time. I think the best measure of a program is student satisfaction and sucess, afterall that is the goal. To find that out, speak with people who have had DIRECT experience with a rpogram and not hearsay.

My personal opinion of the best way to investigate programs is to look at the relevant info, such ability of students to get good internships, post-docs, and jobs (and what types of jobs). Also, ability of students to graduate on time and with financial stability. When comes to doctoral programs, you're generally playing at a level where name is less important and can have diminishing returns. The exception to this would be academia. Figure out what you want see what program can help you accomplish those goals. The only way name matters is if it does to the people hiring you. Be realistic. If Yale is #1, but it onl places people in academia, it won't have the resources to help a private practice grad. On the other hand, program #100 may have professors with excellent connections in your specialty and an ability to place students in well paying jobs. Therefore, there is no easy way to rank grad programs. Does the program with excellent neuropsych training trump the one with excellent cbt training, or behavioral med training, etc? From noe on its all a game of connections, so find the program with the best connections for you and go there.

I am a student at the PGSP-Stanford Psy.D. Consortium. I would be happy to either try and answer your questions myself, or point you towards someone with more experience in this particular program. Feel free to PM me.

Researching the various programs can be a difficult task --but the end result of finding a good fit is well worth the time. I found this forum to be a very useful tool for gathering information about various programs as I was making my decisions. Best of luck!

BTW, I believe the Virginia Consortium Psy.D. Program offers tuition remission (if I remember correctly).

I go to Massachusetts School of Prof. Psych- it is a small professional school and has many practicum and intership sights at highly respected institutions in and around Boston. Many of the faculty are affiliated with Harvard Medical School and graduates of the program do really well. It is expensive, with not much aid, but the graduates I have spoken to are really happy with their decision and a recent alum survey put MSPP grads above the national average for salary- not that it should matter, but it is reassuring when you are taking out big loans. In my current practicum I am doing psychotherapy, assessment, and research for my supervisor- not your average prof. school field site.

I can answer any questions you may have. PLEASE don't buy into the hype on these boards about all professional schools, there are some diamonds in the rough out there.

BTW, I believe the Virginia Consortium Psy.D. Program offers tuition remission (if I remember correctly).

Tuition remission to about $800 a semester (3 sem/yr) + a stipend (6-7k)