why are there so few dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fouyboy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
why are there so few dental schools and so many more medical schools and law schools?

Members don't see this ad.

fouyboy said:
why are there so few dental schools and so many more medical schools and law schools?

it's supply and demand. we don't need as many dentists as doctors per 1,000 people. and, there aren't NEARLY as many people interested in pursuing dentistry as there are those interested in medicine, so why would we need to have more dental schools? of course a few extra would help so it would improve all of our chances of getting in :)

who knows about law schools though - we churn out lawyers like a factory in my opinion.

fouyboy said:
my lawyer graduated from a bathroom, great question can't help you though. maybe lobby groups, i don't know.

Members don't see this ad :)
jessUMD said:
who knows about law schools though - we churn out lawyers like a factory in my opinion.

it seems to be a fatal illness of the american psyche, this urge to sue until we're swamped in legal fees large enough to pay for dental school many times over... maybe if we took shakespeare's advice (first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers) we'd be better off :D

the biggest reason is $$$$

It costs BIG BUCKS to run a dental school... more than a medical program so few schools wish to invest in something that requires heavy capital

Brocnizer2007 said:
the biggest reason is $$$$

It costs BIG BUCKS to run a dental school... more than a medical program so few schools wish to invest in something that requires heavy capital

I agree. In fact, Med school programs are heavily subsidized by the hospitals that are associated with them. Therefore, the med schools don't have to shoulder as much of the cost. D-schools are much more expensive to operate.

the problem with running a dental school is that patients would rather go to a private practice then be treated by a dental student therefor leaving not having any "great" patient pool to select from and thus not making income to pay for the school itself (my theory)

I was told by the dean of a dental school that $$$$ is a big reason. Dental schools are often more expensive to run than medical schools. When you factor in the chairs, x-ray equipment, materials, buildings...it adds up quick.

Thankfully the numbers of schools are also regulated by the government to a certain degree to keep numbers superficially low. This creates a degree of competition so only the most competitive candidates make it to dental school which does 2 things: 1) keeps salaries for dentists high (which is good because if their wasn't a good wage, no one would want to put up with 8 years of school), and 2) competition ensures that the most competent practitioners are serving the public.

Regarding Big $$$$... why Private schools have better facilities than State schools?

Mo007 said:
Regarding Big $$$$... why Private schools have better facilities than State schools?
bump
i love how this guy has been to every private and state institution

dental school not only cost more to operate, it has very little returns. the research in the med school bring in a ton of money every year. while the returns on dental research is no where near that. an example is when northwestern dental school shut down because the medical school needed their building.

Mo007 said:

The way I see it it's the same reason why private companies often operate much more efficiently and quickly than those subsidized by the government or have gone public with their stock. Private schools are not under the thumb of the public (i.e. the state government or a horde of shareholders). If a public school wants upgrades they probably have to navigate a maze of committees and legislation to approve and ammend the request and then deliver the necessary funds. Furthermore tax-payers may not percieve the value in upgrading a lab to a SimLab if things are running fine. Furthermore, since a private school isn't suckling from the government they need the money that the students bring to the table, and thus they are more apt to want to be 'cutting edge' so as attract customers, er, students to their institution.

ITs all about the benjamins baby!

Funny I was talking to a bunch of pre medonnas today, they were totally awe struck on how many dental schools there were. They didn't realize that there were not a lot dental schools and that dental school is competive just becuse of the amount of dental schools in the US. Felt good that they recognize that Dental school can be just as competive if not more competive then med school based on the number of schools/seats ratio.

DENTISTRY ROCKS BABY
:thumbup:

demonicr said:
dental school not only cost more to operate, it has very little returns. the research in the med school bring in a ton of money every year. while the returns on dental research is no where near that. an example is when northwestern dental school shut down because the medical school needed their building.

our school made a $17 million profit last year