Why are UNLV students dissatisfied?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krittykatty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am researching dental schools I have been accepted into and I was very impressed with UNLV. I am reading a lot of older posts from 2010 and 2011 that describe former UNLV students as stressed and unhappy at the school. No one seems to elaborate farther than these types of words. Can someone please elaborate more on the student's overall satisfaction with their decision to be in the UNLV program?

Members don't see this ad.

No idea. I got this impression at my interview too though. It seems like they put their students through a crucible the first 2 years. Did you hear the story where the presenter told how he saw multiple male students crying in the restroom?? :eek::thumbdown::(

Same experience. All the students I talked to felt so stressed and overwhelmed. It's something to do with their program. One student told me that 6 of his classmates dropped the program. It's a little scary!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any input on this from some current students would help us out a lot on this. I have an acceptance already but am very interested in UNLV and have an interview there next month.

I had an interview at UNLV, the students seemed a lot more stressed there than some of the other schools I interviewed at. I'm not 100% sure as to why but I remember talking to a student during lunch and he was complaining about how his friends at other schools do half the amount of work they do at UNLV. Maybe I caught them on a bad day but my student interviewer gave me a very realistic idea of what the school was like and there were a lot of things he didn't agree with at the school (ie the assigned groups, some of the attitudes of the faculty). and yes I also heard about the story of the teacher walking in on the guys crying in the bathroom, I think it was the teacher who gave the presentation about the UNLV curriculum who told that story.

Wow. When I interviewed, all of the students I talked to spoke very highly of the school. Weird how that works. They didn't tell us the story about the guys crying though. I wonder what they were crying about...hmm... lol

I am a first year at UNLV. First year has been pretty tough so far, but definitely manageable. I wasn't a "straight-A" student in undergrad and I have been doing just fine here. Any school you choose to go to will be tough so don't underestimate it, but I wouldn't think that UNLV is any more difficult than all of the other dental schools. As for the guys crying in the restroom story.. I have never heard this lol. My guess is that the faculty member was being sarcastic (most of the professors here are super chill and really sarcastic, but you might not pick up on it after only meeting them one time). I've been really happy with UNLV since I've gotten here and Vegas is fun too! Let me know if you have any questions! Finals are just around the corner so I might not be on too often, but I'll try and respond back to you guys!

Reactions: 1 user
I am a first year at UNLV. First year has been pretty tough so far, but definitely manageable. I wasn't a "straight-A" student in undergrad and I have been doing just fine here. Any school you choose to go to will be tough so don't underestimate it, but I wouldn't think that UNLV is any more difficult than all of the other dental schools. As for the guys crying in the restroom story.. I have never heard this lol. My guess is that the faculty member was being sarcastic (most of the professors here are super chill and really sarcastic, but you might not pick up on it after only meeting them one time). I've been really happy with UNLV since I've gotten here and Vegas is fun too! Let me know if you have any questions! Finals are just around the corner so I might not be on too often, but I'll try and respond back to you guys!

duuuuuuuuudddddeeee

It was probably half jokingly, trying to tell people that dental school might not be for you. There are ppl who cry because they cannot get the material or are not good enough with the hand tools. What's so alarming? There are always people who were not meant to go through dental school even if they studied their butt off in undergrad and make them look good on paper. Sadly, they take the place of someone who could've or would've done well. So, better off to try to weed them out before they commit, take up space, and ruining the budget for that year since a student's whole 4 years is calculated once they are fully admitted. Not to mention you will be out a whole year's tuition.

Last edited:
Im a 4th year at UNLV. you can shoot me a message if you have questions. a few pointers:

- no matter where you go, youre gonna be stressed. dental school is a lot of hard work
- there are 75 students in each class, youre going to get a different perspective from each one. some very pessimistic, some optimistic, most in the middle (me)
- what you put in is what youre gonna get out of it
- all my friends are doing well. we bitch and complain and my friends from other schools do the same
- professors are dicks everywhere, just learn to put your ego aside and go with the flow
- if youre a decent person, likable, hard working, and you want to be a dentist, UNLV will be fine.

i got into a handful of schools and im happy with my choice to go the UNLV. i wont know what my life would have been like if i went to one of the others but ive had more good times than bad while in vegas.

major downside - tuition

Thank you so much for your responses; they are much appreciated. Can anyone speak about the team systems more in-depth and your opinion on them? I learned about the system at my interview but have heard some negative comments about them. (People seem to really be dissatisfied with Team 2...)

Im a 4th year at UNLV. you can shoot me a message if you have questions. a few pointers:

- no matter where you go, youre gonna be stressed. dental school is a lot of hard work
- there are 75 students in each class, youre going to get a different perspective from each one. some very pessimistic, some optimistic, most in the middle (me)
- what you put in is what youre gonna get out of it
- all my friends are doing well. we bitch and complain and my friends from other schools do the same
- professors are dicks everywhere, just learn to put your ego aside and go with the flow
- if youre a decent person, likable, hard working, and you want to be a dentist, UNLV will be fine.

i got into a handful of schools and im happy with my choice to go the UNLV. i wont know what my life would have been like if i went to one of the others but ive had more good times than bad while in vegas.

major downside - tuition

Considering you can become a Nevada resident after your first year, isn't tuition relatively affordable compared to other schools? Correct me if i'm wrong but the first year for a non-resident including fees is 90k, but 55k, 55k, 40k for years 2-4 once you become a resident...making total tuition ~240k for the 4 years. This about 60k less than many of the private schools (tuition only).

Considering you can become a Nevada resident after your first year, isn't tuition relatively affordable compared to other schools? Correct me if i'm wrong but the first year for a non-resident including fees is 90k, but 55k, 55k, 40k for years 2-4 once you become a resident...making total tuition ~240k for the 4 years. This about 60k less than many of the private schools (tuition only).
I definitely agree with you and find that UNLV's tuition is on the more affordable side than most schools on the West Coast. Any public institution is going to be more affordable than a private school (if you are a resident).

And that is why I'm going to UNLV over MWU-AZ. MWU-AZ is 77k a year(not including tuition increases 5% every year). Which is 308k!!! Def saving money there.

Another reason NV should double it to 2 years at least. Cali makes us wait 3 years for residency. We should at least oblige them.

Another reason NV should double it to 2 years at least. Cali makes us wait 3 years for residency. We should at least oblige them.
CA, Conn, and Buffalo only takes a year

Reactions: 1 user

No oos would go to UNLV if it took 2 years. 90k for 1 year is already ridiculous.

There's always someone who would go. I'd call NYU, USC, Boston tuition ridiculous comparatively. I didn't know graduate only took 1 year from Ca schools. Undergrad was 3 years...at least at the UCs.

if you interviewed and met me the last day of gross anatomy, you'd think my school was the cat's meow. if your interview date caught me on the day of a final exam, you'd think everyone at my school was always cranky. i'll try to send positive vibes your way but don't feel put off if i got my headphones on crammin' at the last minute.

Last edited: