Why are you board certified or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PikminOC

MD Attending Physician
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why are you board certified in psychiatry or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you board certified or not? You started this thread, you should answer.

I'm not, because I'm not quite yet board eligible... but I will be within a year, hopefully, because I just got the feeling that that's what I'm supposed to do.

I'm board certified for four reasons:
  1. To maximize my job opportunities. I like having the option of working in academic medicine and not being limited in any way.
  2. It's useful for negotiating for a little more money with most employers.
  3. Everybody else in my fellowship that I respect did it, and it was strongly encouraged to get board certified by both my adult psych and child fellowship program directors. I respected their opinion and guidance.
  4. I think it might be helpful in case I'm ever sued for malpractice in establishing my expertise. On the other hand, an attorney might also say "you should have known better" if I ever make a mistake.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a lot of education money left over in residency. I also have $3500 in CME money every year with my employer. Also, being able to avoid the question "Why aren't you board certified?" by my patients and their families is worth a lot of money. Especially, when you're the only doc in the group who isn't.

I hope that more and more of our profession at large opts out of CMOC, but I'm a lemming who pretty much does what my group does.

It's hard to get a job if you're not. Most places seem to require it. Or at least require that you become so within a certain time.

Why wouldn't you become BC? Perhaps I've just been drinking the Koolaid, but is there any reason why someone wouldn't?
  1. It is way overpriced
  2. Many psychiatrists disagree with MOC
  3. Some employers don't require it, and it's not required for private practice
  4. Most patient's usually don't check to see if your board certified
  5. It doesn't really enhance my practice or make me more learned, because I'm a professional and educate myself anyway. I prefer to focus on patient problems in the real world, not what some academic thinks is important. Lots of questions on Conversion Disorder, which I see maybe twice a year. Meanwhile, I'm up to my eyeballs in PTSD patients.

1. It is way overpriced
  5. It doesn't really enhance my practice or make me more learned, because I'm a professional and educate myself anyway. I prefer to focus on patient problems in the real world, not what some academic thinks is important. Lots of questions on Conversion Disorder, which I see maybe twice a year. Meanwhile, I'm up to my eyeballs in PTSD patients.

Correct. I became BC with the last wave that had oral boards in addition to the written.
I had not idea what was coming up with this CMOC though. It is ridiculous.

1. It is way overpriced

Interesting. I always assumed it was a foregone conclusion that one would become BC one they were eligible.

1. It is way overpriced
I would love to see a poll of board-certified psychiatrists of the following question:

"Do you believe the current MOC requirements should be modified or repealed?"

I have to imagine that those answering "Yes" would be well over 90%.
I would also love to hear a rebuttal for anyone answering "No" who isn't on the ABPN administration.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, and probably partially because I'm a lemming, too. It is expensive, but $2500 is a small expense compared to what I've already shelled out (monopoly money debt as it is). Not to say that makes it OK, but still. Initial board certification is pretty straight forward -- you take a test, easy. Keeping up with MOC sounds like the pain. If the alternative board grows into a legitimate option or there's more pushback against MOC, I might consider dropping board certification. Unfortunately, I think we're moving toward board certification being essentially required rather than optional -- my state board already reserved the right to watch you more closely if you're not board certified (they say this explicitly), and I think state boards are adopting MOC standards, too, which are covered by doing it for your board certification. I'm getting a little optimism around MOC due to the APA pushback and news about ABIM, so maybe maintaining board certification will become less onerous.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I want to see this civil war escalate and insurers as well as hospitals accept this new board equally as the ABPN.

My group gave me a 10k bonus for taking the test.

Per year or 1 time bonus?

With the test being $2500+, cost of study materials, and hours lost studying (if u studied), the opportunity cost is about 10k for most people.

I did not study or use testing materials as I didn't want to be out any more money than absolutely necessary.

One time bonus for passing. Also, it required at one hospital where I have privileges.

I agree with texas physician.....once for the initial cert is reasonable, but I seriously doubt I will play their MOC game. That's disgraceful and I don't see how anyone involved with that absurd money grab can sleep at night. Of course it depends on what I'm doing in my career.....if for some reason a patient ever asks 20 years from now I'll just say "I passed boards a long long time ago...." and leave it at that.

As a graduating resident this year I didn't get much guidance about this so ultimately signed up for the initial certification later this year to keep all avenues hopefully open.

I suspect I'll have a more informed opinion down the road.

Not BC, but BE. Won't ever take the test. Private practice and my other practice arrangements don't require it. I am part of a small percentage of psychiatrists that feel that way, however.

Reactions: 1 user
I think wolfvgang22 summed it up nicely. It's just another expectation, like an undergrad degree, MCAT, shelf exams, USMLE/COMLEX, etc. Especially for early career psychiatrists.

Although I believe ABMS/ABPN cert is one of the "pay to play" elements of our profession, I am strongly considering also getting the cert from the NBPAS folks (https://nbpas.org/).

It is easy to make the argument that the ABMS is becoming a self-licking bureaucratic ice cream cone that serves itself (leaders earning close to 1 million yearly) vice serving the needs of patients and physicians. I wouldn't mind giving the NBPAS a couple hundred bucks to spearhead a message against the ABMS that their monetary demands are getting ridiculous and the multiple hoops (particularly the continuous maintenance hoops) are getting onerous.

I am as it was required by my employer. I also think it may (possibly) help if ever sued.

I haven't paid any yearly MOC fees. What is that about?

milesed - instead of paying $2000 for your recert exam in 10 years, you get to pay for it in yearly increments.