Why are you guys choosing third tier trash medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why would it be more inferior? It's extending the current system to ensure everyone has coverage + incentivizing skilled and experienced physicians to care for the poor.

Why would a two tiered system with one tier being physician care and one being midlevel care be inferior? Is that what you’re asking?

Or were you referring to like a German two tiered system with govt and private plans?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right but it was used as an example in a discussion about the sky falling in socialized medicine, and it doesn’t apply.
I'm pointing out that the sky has been about to fall for many years on many topics - midlevels, mandated insurance, EMR paperwork burden, patient satisfaction metrics, universal/social care, lots of new schools opening, reimbursement cuts, de facto fellowship requirements making the training longer, average education debt levels perpetually climbing, reduced education and training quality for liability reasons, you name it.

It's still the best career choice compared to all the other options by a wide margin. Even if you pick it "for the wrong rea$on" you didnt make a mistake.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm pointing out that the sky has been about to fall for many years on many topics - midlevels, mandated insurance, EMR paperwork burden, patient satisfaction metrics, universal/social care, lots of new schools opening, reimbursement cuts, de facto fellowship requirements making the training longer, average education debt levels perpetually climbing, reduced education and training quality for liability reasons, you name it.

It's still the best career choice compared to all the other options by a wide margin. Even if you pick it "for the wrong rea$on" you didnt make a mistake.
Most of those are caused by corporations taking control of medicine

Most of those are caused by corporations taking control of medicine
Sure, but guess who controls the tech sector, finance sector, pharma/lucrative R&D...even in big law or consulting you're gonna have higher ups controlling how high you jump if you want to move up. The autonomy of an american attending physician, especially in private practice if independence is a personal priority, is also still much better.

Reactions: 1 user
Sure, but guess who controls the tech sector, finance sector, pharma/lucrative R&D...even in big law or consulting you're gonna have higher ups controlling how high you jump if you want to move up. The autonomy of an american attending physician, especially in private practice if independence is a personal priority, is also still much better.
Are EM and radonc really better compared to tech, finance etc?

Are EM and radonc really better compared to tech, finance etc?
I still think so, at least right now. Their sky falling means salary drops towards primary care or they move somewhere they dislike. That's a far cry from what many white collar families experienced in 08-09 and subsequent years when their sky fell. This might change if expansions continue, but at that point I think we will just see American MDs avoiding the field, not American MDs without jobs.

I still think so, at least right now. Their sky falling means salary drops towards primary care or they move somewhere they dislike. That's a far cry from what many white collar families experienced in 08-09 and subsequent years when their sky fell. This might change if expansions continue, but at that point I think we will just see American MDs avoiding the field, not American MDs without jobs.

Is it possible to re-train in a different specialty mid-career? If so thats another assurance thats not easy to do in other professions.

The German plan.
I agree with a lot of parts of the German plan and it has some huge benefits over the US in terms of the healthcare system and medical education and training.

One important caveat is that Germany has a cap on the number of a given speciality (including primary care) that can work in a given city/county based on the population. So if your home town has a quota of 10 cardiologists and 10 cardiologists are currently working there when you graduate cardiology residency, you either have to buy their license off of them, get on the waiting list to take over a license when someone retires (could be over a decade), get hired by a hospital or a clinic for about half the salary as opening your own clinic, or move to a community that is underserved.

This policy is a necessity in a system that allows public vs private health insurance as well as hospital employed vs private practice jobs. Without the quota system, most places wouldn’t be able to attract hospital employees which you need to run a healthcare system. Not every doctor can be an outpatient € printing machine. With their system, you can choose to be a cardiologist in rura east Germany in a private clinic and make much more money, or go work in Hamburg at a hospital for less money but you get to be in a major city.

The US wouldn’t have to copy and paste all of that if we revamped our healthcare system, especially because it would almost certainly never fly with the “muh free market” crowd, so it’s more just an interesting factor to consider when looking at their system.

Is it possible to re-train in a different specialty mid-career? If so thats another assurance thats not easy to do in other professions.
It’s possible, and better than being unemployed depending on if you are financially independent or not, but it’s definitely not “easy.” Best case you get about 1 year of credit from your previous residency and have to do 2 full years of residency in the new speciality. I know a doctor that did FM out of medica school then did IM in his mid-50s…his IM training was 2 years because he got credit for “time served” during his FM residency in the 1970s.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with a lot of parts of the German plan and it has some huge benefits over the US in terms of the healthcare system and medical education and training.

One important caveat is that Germany has a cap on the number of a given speciality (including primary care) that can work in a given city/county based on the population. So if your home town has a quota of 10 cardiologists and 10 cardiologists are currently working there when you graduate cardiology residency, you either have to buy their license off of them, get on the waiting list to take over a license when someone retires (could be over a decade), get hired by a hospital or a clinic for about half the salary as opening your own clinic, or move to a community that is underserved.

This policy is a necessity in a system that allows public vs private health insurance as well as hospital employed vs private practice jobs. Without the quota system, most places wouldn’t be able to attract hospital employees which you need to run a healthcare system. Not every doctor can be an outpatient € printing machine. With their system, you can choose to be a cardiologist in rura east Germany in a private clinic and make much more money, or go work in Hamburg at a hospital for less money but you get to be in a major city.

The US wouldn’t have to copy and paste all of that if we revamped our healthcare system, especially because it would almost certainly never fly with the “muh free market” crowd, so it’s more just an interesting factor to consider when looking at their system.
Nothing daddy government telling me where I can and can't work!

Possible but unusual. Most field switching happens during residency, or if the market sucks at the end of residency, by using fellowships as a delay or escape route. For example if EM is terrible in 3 years, one could go into an ICU fellowship and pivot into an entirely different daily life. Its tough for an experienced doc to lose their practice, most of the squeeze will be felt by the young guys when they cant find a spot to begin with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Possible but unusual. Most field switching happens during residency, or if the market sucks at the end of residency, by using fellowships as a delay or escape route. For example if EM is terrible in 3 years, one could go into an ICU fellowship and pivot into an entirely different daily life. Its tough for an experienced doc to lose their practice, most of the squeeze will be felt by the young guys when they cant find a spot to begin with.
Last sentence is golden. This is also why these things seem to have “crept up” on radonc and EM, although there have been warning signs for years. The power players in the fields are in academia and/or high-paying private practice with a bunch of connections, so they are employed and have no worries about finding a job with 20+ years of experience and often a professor spot at a university.

So the alarm starts to get raised when the new grads can’t find jobs or are forced to take horrible jobs that used to get laughed at. The second one happens first and also delays some people from listening to people raising the alarm. I have seen M3/4’s applying to EM say “oh well I found plenty of job postings for EM jobs on job boards so I think it is just fear mongering.” Nevermind the fact that most of those postings are outdated and/or for jobs that pay $120/hr for 3 patients per hour yourself while “supervising” 3 PA’s who see critical patients unstaffed unless they start to code, and covering the ICU/rapid responses from 5pm-9am.

So you think the German system is great? Why have there been recurring physician strikes in Germany?
German doctors walk off job in nationwide strike - The Local

I'm sure Zeke Emanuel would disapprove but how about trying an efficient rational system for a change? On the supply side let's get every foreign country to pay its fair share for the applied research conducted by pharmaceutical companies. Let's end the physician shortage by letting every American capable of becoming a physician into medical school and have them pay tuition based on the most cost effective model of education. Let's find out once and for all what it actually costs to train medical residents and base the federal subsidy on that cost. Let's stop the cost shifting away from Medicare, Medicaid and EMTALA and have the government raise taxes to pay for those programs so that private payers don't have to subsidize those programs. Let's end the artificial nursing shortage by going back to having three year low cost RN diploma programs at teaching hospitals so that working class people who are smart and ambitious can go to nursing school and not pay $80,000 at Old State U.

On the demand side let's prosecute every physician who fraudulently talks people into unnecessary surgeries. Let's spend more money through the NIH to research avoiding medical errors and hospital acquired infections. Let's simplify the Stark law and anti-kickback so that the worst abuses would still be outlawed but a gazillion lawyers could be shown the door.

• Okay...
So you think the German system is great? Why have there been recurring physician strikes in Germany?
German doctors walk off job in nationwide strike - The Local
Confused What Is It GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

My post included the phrases:
parts of the German plan
some huge benefits
and then I went on a multi-paragraph explanation about a caveat that is less than ideal for physicians.

Also, let's say women facing workplace discrimination in the US go on a national strike. Does that mean the US automatically does not have better working conditions for women than Saudi Arabia where there have been not women striking? No. That is insane. German physicians being upset with their system is not proof that their system is rotten and we can learn nothing from it.

Bringing up German physicians striking as proof of a failed system is absolutely hilarious. A place where physicians are organized and confident enough to go on strike is what we need in the US!

A quote from the article you linked:
In a publicly released statement, a spokesperson for the union said the strike action was necessary to show that the doctors were serious in pursuing their demands.
Imagine if American physicians had this level of bargaining power...

Reactions: 3 users
Every American med school is
Angry Difficult People GIF by HULU
anyways

• Okay...
Last sentence is golden. This is also why these things seem to have “crept up” on radonc and EM, although there have been warning signs for years. The power players in the fields are in academia and/or high-paying private practice with a bunch of connections, so they are employed and have no worries about finding a job with 20+ years of experience and often a professor spot at a university.

So the alarm starts to get raised when the new grads can’t find jobs or are forced to take horrible jobs that used to get laughed at. The second one happens first and also delays some people from listening to people raising the alarm. I have seen M3/4’s applying to EM say “oh well I found plenty of job postings for EM jobs on job boards so I think it is just fear mongering.” Nevermind the fact that most of those postings are outdated and/or for jobs that pay $120/hr for 3 patients per hour yourself while “supervising” 3 PA’s who see critical patients unstaffed unless they start to code, and covering the ICU/rapid responses from 5pm-9am.

Does this only apply to private practice or academic physicians though? What about specialties employed by hospitals, aren't they just as susceptible to job market issues when employers can replace them with mid-levels or just make their jobs harder in general? I've seen some headlines about entire physician groups being replaced. Does experience still offer better job security in these situations?

Does this only apply to private practice or academic physicians though? What about specialties employed by hospitals, aren't they just as susceptible to job market issues when employers can replace them with mid-levels or just make their jobs harder in general? I've seen some headlines about entire physician groups being replaced. Does experience still offer better job security in these situations?
Hard to say. I have never had to look for a job as an attending (obviously).

My main point is that the leaders of the specialty national organizations and the people starting new residency programs would be some of the last people to have trouble finding a job, let alone being unemployed.

I would be offended, if it wasn’t true of my little DO school.

Hey. It’s probably a BIG DO school with a class of 200 so they can line their pockets, if it’s anything like mine.

I graduated med school in 2008 so I'm a little older and crankier and don't understand what you guys are doing.

For those of you not aware, the term "third tier trash" used to apply to law schools, because they were opening up like McDonalds.

I hate to say this, but it now applies to med schools too.

Consider that in the last 20 years, there have been over 80 new medical schools (DO and MD). The prior 20 years before that, there were only 7 new medical schools.

Now we have Walmart opening medical schools in podunk Bentonville with a population of 50k -- Walmart heir's nonprofit to start new integrative medical school in Arkansas

We have for-profit med schools opening everywhere too.

I'm sorry but Walmart is a third tier trash med school
So are all the for-profit schools
So are all the schools opened in small towns that nobody has ever heard of before
So are all the schools opened in towns that dont even have a real hospital and force all their graduates to go off site for the entire 3rd and 4th year

Those things would have been UNTHINKABLE 20 years ago and now they are commonplace.

Medical school used to be something you could be proud of -- now it's a vocational tech program and nothing more.

If this trend continues, expect that just like law school, the name of the med school you go to will dictate everything.

No more dermatology matches from low tier schools, just like a white-shoe law firm won't touch a law grad from Dayton even if they are #1 rank in their class with a 4.0 GPA

There's a reckoning coming and it has nothing to do with socialized medicine or politics.

Anybody who attends Walmart Medical School should be embarassed and ashamed of themselves.

No doctor coming out of what you call 'trash' med schools has gotten better board scores than someone out of what you would call a '1st tier' med school? All doctors graduating for better schools will always be better doctors than those who don't?

No doctor coming out of what you call 'trash' med schools has gotten better board scores than someone out of what you would call a '1st tier' med school? All doctors graduating for better schools will always be better doctors than those who don't
Assuming this is rhetorical...no obviously not. Killing Step 1 is a highly individualized task. It's not really difficult in 2021 either. I will argue that top schools are trending towards what I consider a better medical education model which includes earlier meaningful clinical integration and a de-emphasis on basic science didactics. So far I have seen Emory and UMichigan (two schools I consider top X) doing this just based on SDN posts alone. I'm sure if I did my research I'd find more.

Assuming this is rhetorical...no obviously not. Killing Step 1 is a highly individualized task. It's not really difficult in 2021 either. I will argue that top schools are trending towards what I consider a better medical education model which includes earlier meaningful clinical integration and a de-emphasis on basic science didactics. So far I have seen Emory and UMichigan (two schools I consider top X) doing this just based on SDN posts alone. I'm sure if I did my research I'd find more.
Clinical rotation quality also varies a lot. The community hospitals I rotated through were night and day difference from the huge academic center.

Also a related point: how do PDs respond to straight honoring MS3 and get great clinical skills by rotating only in community hospitals? Why is the hierarchy important?

Iirc @Lem0nz mentioned residency training at community hospital was invaluable for surgery so why are any PDs crapping on rotating in community sites and forcing MS3s and MS4s to be tortured by unforgiving hierarchies and rogue residents who can easily sabotage your grade (all while learning next to nothing)?

Isnt this true anywhere
The notion is that the higher ranked schools/old powers have better rotation experiences overall compared to the newer schools that work to simply piece together an IM rotation that meets all the requirements. I know the work medical students at Emory do on Gen Surg rotation. It is hands down far more than what I experienced at other medical schools.

Isnt this true anywhere
Not all schools have an academic center, or even a home base hospital. At the extreme, like Caribbean programs, you'll be sent all over the country to different small hospitals and clinics willing to take you for a few weeks.

The notion is that the higher ranked schools/old powers have better rotation experiences overall compared to the newer schools that work to simply piece together an IM rotation that meets all the requirements. I know the work medical students at Emory do on Gen Surg rotation. It is hands down far more than what I experienced at other medical schools.
There are still community sites associated with top schools though?

Not all schools have an academic center, or even a home base hospital. At the extreme, like Caribbean programs, you'll be sent all over the country to different small hospitals and clinics willing to take you for a few weeks.
Does rotating at an academic center really matter in the end? I thought you get more independence at community sites while doing next to nothing as a med student in academic centers (as a general trend)

Also a related point: how do PDs respond to straight honoring MS3 and get great clinical skills by rotating only in community hospitals? Why is the hierarchy important?

Iirc @Lem0nz mentioned residency training at community hospital was invaluable for surgery so why are any PDs crapping on rotating in community sites and forcing MS3s and MS4s to be tortured by unforgiving hierarchies and rogue residents who can easily sabotage your grade (all while learning next to nothing)?

I don't think the dean's letter says H in IM (community hospital). An honors is an honors and they rely on the brand of the medical school. They don't look under the proverbial hood to see where those rotations were conducted as long as they are familiar with the medical school.

To directly answer your question, PDs probably assume a newer DO school they know less about has incomplete/weaker rotations than the more established MD school.

In regards to Lem0nz comment, that's residency training where autonomy/procedures are more available. Maybe it trickles down to medical students who are interested, but ultimately the burden falls on the ones who actually do the clinical work (residents, available fellows, attendings).

There are still community sites associated with top schools though?

So if someone got an H in FM at Harvard and rotated at Mt. Auburn that would be viewed as a great thing. Programs aren't looking under the hood to see where they did it at. There are also community centers affiliated with institutions that function very well. An example of this is Northshore in Chicago which serves as a rotation site for top Chicago medical students. The community programs we think of when we refer to those are not these places.

Note; I don't know where HMS does its FM training. That was an example.

Last edited:
I don't think the dean's letter says H in IM (community hospital). An honors is an honors and they rely on the brand of the medical school. They don't look under the proverbial hood to see where those rotations were conducted as long as they are familiar with the medical school.

To directly answer your question, PDs probably assume a newer DO school they know less about has incomplete/weaker rotations than the more established MD school.

In regards to Lem0nz comment, that's residency training where autonomy/procedures are more available. Maybe it trickles down to medical students who are interested, but ultimately the burden falls on the ones who actually do the clinical work (residents, available fellows, attendings).
Yep that's what i was thinking but i think M3/M4 can now be effectively rigged to maximize on both honors and clinical experiences.

Yep that's what i was thinking but i think M3/M4 can now be effectively rigged to maximize on both honors and clinical experiences.
It can and always has been. You can simply ask your peers who to evaluate you. One of my family friends was a resident in a rotation I didn't care much for but they gave me 5s and I honored the clinical portion with minimal effort since that was one of my only evaluations.

In terms of how clinical sites affect the rigging process, some places are known to grade easier but it's not usually a monolithic reputation. For example, at a community site maybe IM is chill, but Surgery is malignant.

Does rotating at an academic center really matter in the end? I thought you get more independence at community sites while doing next to nothing as a med student in academic centers (as a general trend)
Where you train for residency. The quality of that is what matters in the end. Nobody specialized is using their 3rd year rotations as the basis of their practice whether that was at Podunk or Mass Gen.

Reactions: 5 users
I think the main difference is established schools vs. new schools. My medical school is a mid-tier state school. Still, it punches out of its weight class in program director ranking, and anecdotally students from my school are praised for their clinical knowledge and abilities during away rotations and when they go out of state for residency. What seems to benefit my school greatly is we are the only medical school in multiple large and medium-sized cities and have been rotating at tertiary teaching hospitals with high acuity and dedicated faculty for decades. Compare this to a new DO school with its clinical rotations at private hospitals in the suburbs, where many cases get transferred to tertiary centers.

My best rotations and where I learned the most useful stuff was in those small private community hospitals. Being one on one with an attending in the OR basically first assisting on real cases was far better than any academic center where you stood against a wall with 4 other students while the fellow, pgy 3 and pgy 2 all scrubbed in.

99% (making this up) of students/residents don't end up at large academic ivory towers.. So emphasis on these type of rotations is moot imo.

I see this with some my partners. For example, My spine partner, his residency was at one of these very prestigious ivory towers. He actually spent weekends going to industry courses pgy 5 because their spine rotations were so weak on the basics. They did crazy tumor and and peds scoliois cases, but rarely did bread and butter cases. So he felt he was so far behind beginning fellowship compared to other fellows from more community cases.

Personally, my residency, was heavy private practice attendings, so we were high volume, bread and butter ortho. This suited me very well in fellowship and now in private practice. I never saw crazy tumor cases on a weekly basis or weird peds cases, but that's fine with me.

Reactions: 9 users
Clinical rotation quality also varies a lot. The community hospitals I rotated through were night and day difference from the huge academic center.
Last poster beat me to it, I was going to ask you which you thought was more valuable. When I was a medical student (which was a LONG time ago), my school had both univ and community based sites. I choose a community site for my OB and neuro rotations -- I was 100% certain they weren't what I wanted to do. The neuro rotation was pretty horrible - it was based in a chronic neuro hospital, we spent all morning getting patients out of bed and locked into their chairs in the hallway, then fed everyone, then spent the rest of the day getting everyone back into bed. I didn't learn anything.

My OB rotation was amazing. Working directly with faculty, on the inpatient side I was delivering babies left and right - 4-5 each call shift. There was one attending who didn't let students deliver, I saw one of his patients on admission who told me she had a history of precipitous deliveries. When she was getting "close", I scrubbed / gowned up and was standing in the corner. He came in, looked and me, and asked me what the heck I was doing. "Being ready" was my answer. Pt screamed, and baby was coming. Got to hip check him out of the way and deliver the baby. In the outpatient clinic, I got to do lots of ultrasounds and standard OB check ins. When I came back to the "big house", I remember one of the students who stayed was all proud that they had 4 deliveries.
MSPE's do usually tell us where the rotation is based. Theoretically, the LCME requires that all sites be identical in grading etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Last poster beat me to it, I was going to ask you which you thought was more valuable. When I was a medical student (which was a LONG time ago), my school had both univ and community based sites. I choose a community site for my OB and neuro rotations -- I was 100% certain they weren't what I wanted to do. The neuro rotation was pretty horrible - it was based in a chronic neuro hospital, we spent all morning getting patients out of bed and locked into their chairs in the hallway, then fed everyone, then spent the rest of the day getting everyone back into bed. I didn't learn anything.

My OB rotation was amazing. Working directly with faculty, on the inpatient side I was delivering babies left and right - 4-5 each call shift. There was one attending who didn't let students deliver, I saw one of his patients on admission who told me she had a history of precipitous deliveries. When she was getting "close", I scrubbed / gowned up and was standing in the corner. He came in, looked and me, and asked me what the heck I was doing. "Being ready" was my answer. Pt screamed, and baby was coming. Got to hip check him out of the way and deliver the baby. In the outpatient clinic, I got to do lots of ultrasounds and standard OB check ins. When I came back to the "big house", I remember one of the students who stayed was all proud that they had 4 deliveries.

MSPE's do usually tell us where the rotation is based. Theoretically, the LCME requires that all sites be identical in grading etc.
I was still working mostly with residents at the community sites, I can see how the attendings one on one would be great. It just sort of felt like a Lite version where there was less high quality teaching (both formal didactics, semiformal chalk talks, and discussion of studies on rounds) and less complex or zebra patients. Rounding in rotations like IM and ICU could get pretty brutal at the mothership but I think I learned a lot more.

Also, before freaking out at OP, you have to realize that what he is saying about law school is entirely correct and could happen in medicine. The missing piece is that currently 11-12k residency spots are filled by IMG's, so we theoretically have a lot of room to add medical schools before we have entirely flooded the job market with domestic medical graduates. The other thing to realize is that, for now, adding medical students doesn't directly flood the physician job market. Adding residency spots is what floods the attending job market.

Now if we want to put on our tin foil hats, this is the chain of events that I would be worried about:
  1. 50 medical schools get added in 10 years, 10,000 more domestic medical students graduate per year
  2. With competitive IMG's still applying, domestic match rates fall to the mid 80s
  3. BREAKING NEWS on CNN-Bezos-Walmart-DaddyMusk News Network: Thousands of young doctors unemployed!
  4. Due to unmatched Americans, there is finally political pressure to dramatically increase residency spots to address a doctor shortage that doesn't exist
  5. Physician job market gets flooded
  6. ???
  7. Bankruptcy
Step 0 is a gross oversupply of mid-levels so they are willing to work for half of their current pay and are even cheaper than physicians. Step 0 has already arrived.

tenor.gif

• Haha
Unlike the law schools, LCME actually has some teeth (I pray that COCA does as well, but I'm not as optimistic) and start sanctioning schools to reduce their class sizes.
1. I saw an article on WSJ talking about people considering taking away the bar as a requirement to be licensed as a lawyer because it creates a wealth gap.

2. I didn't know this, but you don't need to graduate/go to law school to take the bar. That's the equivalent to saying you don't have to go to medical school to take the USMLEs.

3. Also saw a photo on Instagram of Kim Kardashian studying for the bar exam in a 2 piece. She apparently is an aspiring lawyer now...

and honestly, if she's able to pass it, I think she'd make a good lawyer for wealthy clientele who have similar first world issues. She already has her brand in place.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I was still working mostly with residents at the community sites, I can see how the attendings one on one would be great. It just sort of felt like a Lite version where there was less high quality teaching (both formal didactics, semiformal chalk talks, and discussion of studies on rounds) and less complex or zebra patients. Rounding in rotations like IM and ICU could get pretty brutal at the mothership but I think I learned a lot more.
Totally agree. At my OB rotation, there was absolutely no high risk OB. All went to the mother ship. That was fine by me.

1. I saw an article on WSJ talking about people considering taking away the bar as a requirement to be licensed as a lawyer because it creates a wealth gap.

2. I didn't know this, but you don't need to graduate/go to law school to take the bar. That's the equivalent to saying you don't have to go to medical school to take the USMLEs.

3. Also saw a photo on Instagram of Kim Kardashian studying for the bar exam in a 2 piece. She apparently is an aspiring lawyer now...

and honestly, if she's able to pass it, I think she'd make a good lawyer for wealthy clientele who have similar first world issues. She already has her brand in place.
Bar requirements vary greatly from state to state. In Wisconsin graduates of the University of Wisconsin Law School and the Marquette Law School aren't required to take the Wisconsin Bar Exam to get licensed. That waiver is referred to as the "diploma privilege". Graduates of Harvard, Yale and Cooley, however, must take the Wisconsin Bar.

California, unsurprisingly, has goofy bar rules. You don't have to go to law school at all to take the California Bar Exam. Some people, like Kardashian, study on their own. Some people go to unaccredited law schools. Some people go to Stanford. Unprepared bar examinees are the reason California usually has the lowest pass rates in the country.

In the past many people went to law school for a while and passed the bar exam without graduating from law school. Examples are Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the golfer Bobby Jones, trial lawyer Clarence Darrow, and Supreme Court Justice Robert Jackson.

The real problem for law school graduates today is that supply and demand issues have shrunk the legal job market. On the supply side automation in the form of computerized legal research and generic documents for trusts, wills and contracts that are easily tailored and completed have eliminated a lot of grind work. On the demand side simplified divorce, lower marriage rates, simpler bankruptcy laws, transportation deregulation, fewer serious injuries in auto accidents, and medical malpractice reform have diminished society's need for legal services.

• Love