Why are you interested in cardiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstart108

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if my reasons for cardiology are valid.

I'm shadowing a cardiologist and just want to make sure in case i'm asked this questions that my answer isn't ridiculously off.

My answer:
I'm interested in cardiology because I actually like learning about the heart/vascular system more than other systems, partially because of its vital importance to people's lives, and the fact that cardiology can be life and death.

I'd also rather manage patients that I can actually cure in a short time, rather than manage a number of long term conditions that can't be cured.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering if my reasons for cardiology are valid.

I'm shadowing a cardiologist and just want to make sure in case i'm asked this questions that my answer isn't ridiculously off.

My answer:
I'm interested in cardiology because I actually like learning about the heart/vascular system more than other systems, partially because of its vital importance to people's lives, and the fact that cardiology can be life and death.

I'd also rather manage patients that I can actually cure in a short time, rather than manage a number of long term conditions that can't be cured.

If they tell you your reasons for cardiology are invalid, will you swear off cardiology?

The fact that you are shadowing shows you are interested. The reasons above should be offered, unsolicited, to dermatologists and geriatricians.

p diddy

Members don't see this ad :)

What diseases are you planning on curing in cardiology in a short time? CAD, CHF, A.fib, PVD? Maybe you are thinking about ortho or cataract-specialized ophtho?

My cardiology observership is starting soon. I'll be working in the coronary care unit. Does anyone have any experiences with shadowing a physician at a major hospital? How do I go about impressing my sponsor hopefully in order to get a recommendation letter?

My cardiology observership is starting soon. I'll be working in the coronary care unit. Does anyone have any experiences with shadowing a physician at a major hospital? How do I go about impressing my sponsor hopefully in order to get a recommendation letter?

Always arrive early, leave late, read about your patients, and ask intelligent questions. Also, be respectful to everyone.

p diddy

Always arrive early, leave late, read about your patients, and ask intelligent questions. Also, be respectful to everyone.

p diddy

How early do you suggest I arrive? I plan on arriving at around 6:45am, I should have asked my sponsor when to arrive, but its too late to ask now. Also, what happens if your sponsor says its ok to leave or theres nothing else for you to do today. Should you leave? Or should you find yourself something to do?

How early do you suggest I arrive? I plan on arriving at around 6:45am, I should have asked my sponsor when to arrive, but its too late to ask now. Also, what happens if your sponsor says its ok to leave or theres nothing else for you to do today. Should you leave? Or should you find yourself something to do?

Also, be prepared. Of course you should have asked your sponsor when to arrive. Arrive 10 minutes before that time.

If your sponsor says it's OK to leave, then leave after asking if they are sure there's nothing else for you to do/see. If there is something you would like to do/see you can ask, but be aware that we only have so much patience and might need a break; don't be insistent/annoying.

p diddy

What diseases are you planning on curing in cardiology in a short time? CAD, CHF, A.fib, PVD? Maybe you are thinking about ortho or cataract-specialized ophtho?

This.

Sure you can fix a STEMI in short order, but cardiology is very much managing a chronic disease.

It went well, thanks for the help and advice!