why are you people so smart?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amirmoh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
sup guys, this is my first time on this network. i plan to apply this cycle and i was surfing this site. man...i gotta tell u guys....u guys are too smart...i mean the people on this forum are like waaaaay above average...i think.....anyways...after spending like hours on this forums....i had a few concerns. i mean i dont know but this site has got me spooked. i am goona have a political science degree in a semester and i have like 45 credits from a community college . my gpa is like 3.30 and my science gpa is around 2.99999999999999 ( due to an F in a math class) however my BCP is around 3.22.
i also took two upper level science courses: micro, anatomy and physiology. my DAT score is 19AA and 18 on the PAT section. now seeing all u guy's scores, it seems like i cant even get into the graduate school of plumbing. so i am like looking for honest opinions at what schools i have a true shot at. I am applying at nova, tufts, case western, nyu, bu, uic & siu (chicago resident.....go sox!!!) i really wanna go to my state schools but i dont know anymore. so i would appreciate it if you guys could be honest advice in what shape i am in. and seriously...some of these people on this site that are worried about geting in with 4.0 GPAs and 22 on their DAT need to stop trippin.

appreciate all your help guys.

Amir

ps--- i have extracurriculars and shadowing hours and i will submit my application sometime this week.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know about everyone else, but im the product of 49 generations of selective breeding.
I am the master race.

Members don't see this ad :)
Amir,

I think that your stats are probably around average for applicants. You'll definitely get interviews at BU and NYU, I'm not familiar with Nova, Tufts, and Case. Once in the interview its all up to how well the adcom likes you.

Your chances at UIC might be slightly harder because they have a smaller class size (~66) than the other schools (BU~110, NYU~300). But if you do get an interview your acceptance/denial is all dependent on your performance and extracurriculars (research is a big plus, volunteering, etc...). Make sure you talk about those things during the interview. Also, if you live in Chicago, try and schedule a tour of the school to get to know some of the people on the adcom at UIC (the better they know you, the better your chances).

SIU doesn't give interviews, but you could still schedule a time to meet with the faculty. If you're from southern Illinois you also have a big advantage.

If you want more info from UIC PM me, I'm starting there this August and went to undergrad there.

thanks so much for your replies guys....i just wanted to add a lil to my question....i wanted to know if there is any chance that i can get into any school besides nyu and bu? the sole reason i ask is because those schools are quite expensive from most of the other schools..there is no other reason i ask and to those that attend those schools...i am not trying to offend you in any way whatsoever.

amir

I remember the first time I signed on to this website -- well the forum site, i'd been browsing the interview stuff for a while. Anyway, I was quite terrified, as quite a few people have high (OR INSANELY HIGH - you freaks! :) ) DAT scores. But I've begun to make a few assumptions:

-I haven't seen too many <20 scores, tus I assume many people dont' display scores < 20 as they are probably ashamed their score is less than 24 AA.

-Proactive people are generally those who study for tests like the DAT far in advance, that being said many of the people who are "regulars" appear to be people who put time into their test prep. That's why they are here. My guess is these same people score better than the not-as-proactive folks.

I'm not sure if my assumptions are correct, but i'm guessing they are semi-accurate :) I still have yet to take the DAT, so maybe i'll get to join the elite crew of SDN's with insane scores.

Ultimately, don't swet it. You've got good stats.

Don't worry Amir,

Your scores and GPA are just fine for acceptance into dental school. People this forum either lie (doubt this) or have really high stats. Don't stress.

Good luck

Whatever your grades and DAT, you just need one acceptance.
The benefit about good grades is that you may get to choose.

Aint this annoynomous thing nice?
You getta discuss ur situation without much worry.
And most of the time you will get encouragement.

Back to your original question:
Admission is not just based on grades and DAT.
Your personal statement, LOR, interview will play a role.
And, I assume you are still a student. The most important thing to do is to get a solid grade in your fall semester. (It will be tough bcos all those secondaries and interviews) But you getta try your best. And remember to update your grades at the end.
Ask yourself this what is the one reason why these school have to accept u and not the others.

And, dental sch is not easy. You may have to work really really hard, especially to figure out what could you do to improve your grade.
Good luck
EC

thanks so much for all the great replies guys....i appreciate it....yea...i agree with you guys that i need one acceptance and everything will be all good....man....i can honestly say that i am truly relieved just a lil bit more after your guys response...i hope that you guys are right when u say that i will be just fine this application cycle....thanks so much all.

amir

dane4695 said:
I remember the first time I signed on to this website -- well the forum site, i'd been browsing the interview stuff for a while. Anyway, I was quite terrified, as quite a few people have high (OR INSANELY HIGH - you freaks! :) ) DAT scores. But I've begun to make a few assumptions:

-I haven't seen too many <20 scores, tus I assume many people dont' display scores < 20 as they are probably ashamed their score is less than 24 AA.

-Proactive people are generally those who study for tests like the DAT far in advance, that being said many of the people who are "regulars" appear to be people who put time into their test prep. That's why they are here. My guess is these same people score better than the not-as-proactive folks.

What I found great about this message forum was that it was full of people who are proactive, intelligent people who ALL had opinions. Haha, I can say that I fit right in :)

Amir, you have good fine DAT scores but admissions committees may question you about your GPA / Community College course-load and performance. I certainly think that taking classes at a local community college and having a political science degree are just fine for a dental school applicant. The DAT will get you in the door to interviews at several schools... howerver, be prepared to answer "Why the low GPA?"

Trust me, I say this very objectively and I am in no way attacking you. In fact, I advise worried undergrads who are interested in dentistry that the first question out of just about every admissions committee on interview day is some sort of "So why dentistry?"

If you have a bang up answer for this and hold your own during your interview..... you're in!

-Mike

P.S. Students, by nature, never want to talk about low grades but LOVE to talk about how they did so well. Just go over into the medical forums and see how many students score in the >95% precentile on USMLE Step 1 :)

Amirmoh said:
thanks so much for your replies guys....i just wanted to add a lil to my question....i wanted to know if there is any chance that i can get into any school besides nyu and bu? the sole reason i ask is because those schools are quite expensive from most of the other schools..there is no other reason i ask and to those that attend those schools...i am not trying to offend you in any way whatsoever.

amir

I completely understand, spending 2000 dollars a month on an apartment and even more on tuition doesn't sound like any fun to me either, but if the only acceptance I get is from NYU then I'll see you in New York and I'll learn to like the yankees!....Ok that's a stretch, maybe the mets......

Amirmoh said:

amir
Welcome to the forum, Amirmoh! Like the others have stated, you have good stats and shouldn't be too worried as far as numbers are concerned. If you are looking for schools (and I know I have posted this on another thread) that match up with where you are and offer a little lower price on tuition then look up Barron's Guide to Medical and Dental Schools. I believe it is the best, published resource outlining all of the U.S. and Canadian dental schools. With it you can examine their profiles and get a feel for what other institutions have to offer by comparing tuition, matriculate statistics, and the like. Best of luck!

Don't worry, you'll get in! Slam dunk the interviews....