• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

smuwillobrien

15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I ask myself this question every single day. I'm still only a freshman, but sometimes it just seems like this dream of being a doctor is just that; a dream. I work hard, I get little sleep, and I've got a crumbling five year relationship. I think I've sacrificed a lot to keep things together this first year (I've been busy with biology, chemistry, physics, calculus, and english). My girlfriend sees it as me ignoring her, and I'm not sure what to do; do I worry about a career, or do I worry about my girlfriend?

Anyways, back to my original question why medicine? I know that I don't want to end up like my sister moving from job to job having no sense of security. I know that I want to make a good living, and I know I want to be compensated well. I was watching Trauma in the ER last night and I got that sudden little flick of "this is why I want to do this": There was this 50 year old guy who had been in a car accident. His two arms and leg had to be amputated. They were literally holding on by a thread of skin, and they were so mangled. It's the first time I ever felt sick. I saw the skin torn and sickly wounded; it looked like this guy had got stuck in a meat grinder. However, it amazed me the way the doctors handled it. They were all panicky and scared, but they held it together and did what they had to do to save him. Then, they went and spoke with his family. It's such an intimate process (being a doctor), and I think it's so amazing to have that kind of ability.

I don't know what the point of this message was. A hybrid vent and rant. I'm interested to hear all of your opinions on why medicine.

Fermata

Hold me.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
Vale of Humility Between Two Mountains of Conceit
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Kid Rock regarding the enterainment industry:

"The music? Of course, we all love the music. But why are you realllllly here?

The money."

Seriously, though. Medicine is a pretty cool profession however you dice it. It's a lot better than a job pushing paper everyday.

smuwillobrien

15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
That's how I feel too. Last summer I worked a menial job at a grocery store. It was the most degrading experience of my life, but it was what I needed to get my stuff together. There is no way I want to spend the rest of my life mopping floors, getting no respect, and barely making minimum wage. I feel bad for everyone who has to do that, but I don't want it to be me.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.