why are you special/why should we accept you (interview q)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johndoe3344

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So..

Let's say you were asked in an interview why the interviewer should tell the rest of the committee to accept you/aka a 'why are you special question'?

I can start listing traits and supporting anecdotes ad infinitum -- but I've read somewhere that you really shouldn't talk for more than 30 secs-1 min, so how do I know what traits to prioritize?

What are among the few key traits that you definitely would emphasize?

Compassion? Passion for learning medical science? Moral integrity?

Anything else?

Members don't see this ad.

moral integrity compassion and passion are probably not the way you want to go

think about yourself for a bit, look at your activities, find somethings that describe you, be ready to back it up

you should talk about something that you can uniquely bring to the table. everyone and their mom has compassion, moral integrity, intellectual ability, motivation, etc. What makes you different?

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously ADCOMs only like applicants with skills

Talk about your nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...etc.

Obviously ADCOMs only like applicants with skills

Talk about your nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...etc.

sometimes telling adcoms you voted for pedro will get you a long way.

Because, unlike other pre-meds, I can speak with an English accent!

So..

Let's say you were asked in an interview why the interviewer should tell the rest of the committee to accept you/aka a 'why are you special question'?

I can start listing traits and supporting anecdotes ad infinitum -- but I've read somewhere that you really shouldn't talk for more than 30 secs-1 min, so how do I know what traits to prioritize?

What are among the few key traits that you definitely would emphasize?

Compassion? Passion for learning medical science? Moral integrity?

Anything else?

These are my reasons and they are completely true.

1. I rode a bike for 200 miles and climbed the highest mountain in america: interpretation, I have amazing endurance skills.

2. I learned new language, lived in 4 different states, 2 different countries: interpretation: adaptability and culturally aware.

3. Supported myself through college: interpretation, self dependability.

4. Majored in chemical engineering: interpretation, strong problem solving and analytical skills.

5. Starcraft champion: interpretation, amazing dexterity

6. Saved company $200,000 in cost savings; interpretation, badass

7. Boss of 2 people; interpretation, leadership skills.

I'm a ninja so I can run 50 miles without breathing--now I just have to think of a way to tie that into medicine.

In any interview when you are asked "why should we accept you?" what they are really asking is "What have you done to prepare yourself for medical school?"

You should answer with all of the activities, personal experiences, and professional experiences that apply to that question. You need to let them know you are ready to step up to the challenge. That you are prepared and well informed about what is ahead of you. You need to tell them specific things about why you are ready for medical school. Don't fall into the cliche of "I want to help people."

Reactions: 1 users
These are my reasons and they are completely true.

1. I rode a bike for 200 miles and climbed the highest mountain in america: interpretation, I have amazing endurance skills.

2. I learned new language, lived in 4 different states, 2 different countries: interpretation: adaptability and culturally aware.

3. Supported myself through college: interpretation, self dependability.

4. Majored in chemical engineering: interpretation, strong problem solving and analytical skills.

5. Starcraft champion: interpretation, amazing dexterity

6. Saved company $200,000 in cost savings; interpretation, badass

7. Boss of 2 people; interpretation, leadership skills.

yeah i think this is huge. it's not just about all the activities you've done and all the clinical experience you have...it's about the skills and abilities that you've developed through all that stuff, or the way those activities actually showcase all your awesome strengths

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying matter as everything else. We are all part of the same compost heap.

Members don't see this ad :)
average apm?

Not crazy professional korean sc player level, but meh. If I had 400apm, I would be making 200k playing video games and not being a doctor.

In any interview when you are asked "why should we accept you?" what they are really asking is "What have you done to prepare yourself for medical school?"

You should answer with all of the activities, personal experiences, and professional experiences that apply to that question. You need to let them know you are ready to step up to the challenge. That you are prepared and well informed about what is ahead of you. You need to tell them specific things about why you are ready for medical school. Don't fall into the cliche of "I want to help people."

I would interpret the original quesiton as "How can you contribute to the diversity of X campus?" It's one in the same: why are you special and how does this make you a good fit for X university.

"How can you contribute to the diversity of X campus?"

By being Asian. Duh.

"How can you contribute to the diversity of X campus?"

By being Asian. Duh.

Do you really think that ethnicity is the only way to contribute to diversity??

In my opinion, it's all about what makes you unique, what separates you from other applicants.

I don't have any idea how to make myself sound special or worthy of an admit for any school. I had a really bad high school GPA, did bad on the ACT, started off bad in college (major improvement in my grades junior and senior year), couldn't get a normal job for several months after college. I've been broken down in almost every way possible that a human can be broken down. I know I have more limitations than strengths. I know I'm not smart, I just work hard.

All I could accomplish in collge was working full-time (auditor, pt. chart prep, secruity guard, etc), voluntership, and took courses. I didn't start some new program or recieve any academic praise. Heck, I had two professors question my ability to memorize anything....even though all I did was memorize the whole immuno book to get an A.

Interviewer: What makes you speical?

Me: Well, I'm not a special person. I'm not a genius, I'm not brilliant minded, I don't have a wealthy family, I grew up on a farm, I have always been poor, I have always driven a used car, etc. All I can assure you is that you will never meet another person that works as hard as me (go into all of the blah blah I did in college and before college). When I gradauted from college, I couldn't get a job. Thus, I started my own company (X2) and work an entry level chemist job during the 3rd shift.

Give me a cours packet and I will do what I can to get an A. But you shouldn't expect a nobel prize out of me.

you were doing awesome until the last sentence. don't say the nobel prize thing.

I don't have any idea how to make myself sound special or worthy of an admit for any school. I had a really bad high school GPA, did bad on the ACT, started off bad in college (major improvement in my grades junior and senior year), couldn't get a normal job for several months after college. I've been broken down in almost every way possible that a human can be broken down. I know I have more limitations than strengths. I know I'm not smart, I just work hard.

All I could accomplish in collge was working full-time (auditor, pt. chart prep, secruity guard, etc), voluntership, and took courses. I didn't start some new program or recieve any academic praise. Heck, I had two professors question my ability to memorize anything....even though all I did was memorize the whole immuno book to get an A.

Me: Well, I'm not a special person. I'm not a genius, I'm not brilliant minded, I don't have a wealthy family, I grew up on a farm, I have always been poor, I have always driven a used car, etc. All I can assure you is that you will never meet another person that works as hard as me (go into all of the blah blah I did in college and before college). When I gradauted from college, I couldn't get a job. Thus, I started my own company (X2) and work an entry level chemist job during the 3rd shift.

Give me a cours packet and I will do what I can to get an A. But you shouldn't expect a nobel prize out of me.

Focus on your strengths! This is VERY important. We all have weaknesses, but it does not make us unworthy of being accepted into certain medical schools.

From what you said, you already mentioned a few strengths, but you put a negative spin on them. Look at each item you mentioned, and attempt to put a positive spin on it. What kind of perspective has some of these negative experiences given you? How have they strengthened you? You should be able to figure out an answer to these questions. Everyone can!

Do you really think that ethnicity is the only way to contribute to diversity??

In my opinion, it's all about what makes you unique, what separates you from other applicants.

1. I was kidding about that.
2. Being unique isn't ALWAYS a good thing. Sometimes its better to blend in, like a black moth on a black tree during England's industrialization era.

1. I was kidding about that.
2. Being unique isn't ALWAYS a good thing. Sometimes its better to blend in, like a black moth on a black tree during England's industrialization era.

:) It's hard to catch the subtleties of sarcasm over the internet.

"BTW, it is your job to decide which students to pick, not mine."

"I've spent the last several days on your campus and have talked to many of your students, and I can promise you that by admitting me, you will dramatically raise the average attractiveness of your student body."
:laugh:

I think the best way to answer this question is to do a little soul searching and find out what does make you unique. I'm so sick of that "you are not a unique snowflake" crap. Everyone has a story, everyone has something interesting to bring to the table. You need to figure out what that is and be able to advocate for yourself. If you don't know why they should admit you, why the heck should you expect the adcoms to care?

Not crazy professional korean sc player level, but meh. If I had 400apm, I would be making 200k playing video games and not being a doctor.

That is actually pretty good. I could barely manage being above 100...

On a slightly more related note, I'm sure everyone has either own unique life story, unusual experiences or skills. Saying you're compassionate and have a good work ethic may be true, but that's not going to make an impression. You want to show them that you have something other people don't! I, myself, am a reasonably good pen spinner. ^^

Okay, maybe something a little more significant...

You have to talk about your unique experiences/accomplishments to show them you have positive qualities and skills.

It doesn't help to just say you have a good work ethic or are compassionate or whatever.

yeah, i think it's important to show that you are PREPARED for med school but i don't think they would interview you if they didn't already think you were. so i think you have to tell them why THEY should pick YOU, in terms of diversity and how you will contribute to the class. if you can touch on all these things i think that's best. for me i have a 'why i am prepared to study med' (got my MS in biomedical science), 'why are you diverse' (got my UG degree in art) 'what can you contribute to the class' (my degree is in anatomy and i will have experience teaching it). also i started and run a little business so i will try to spin that for the whole leadership/ go-getter thing. I did research and volunteering too but i think pretty much everyone has that to some degree so i would only bring it up if asked about it.

you should just bring a pack of starbursts and unwrap one using only your mouth ... auto-accept!

yeah, i think it's important to show that you are PREPARED for med school but i don't think they would interview you if they didn't already think you were. so i think you have to tell them why THEY should pick YOU, in terms of diversity and how you will contribute to the class. if you can touch on all these things i think that's best. for me i have a 'why i am prepared to study med' (got my MS in biomedical science), 'why are you diverse' (got my UG degree in art) 'what can you contribute to the class' (my degree is in anatomy and i will have experience teaching it). also i started and run a little business so i will try to spin that for the whole leadership/ go-getter thing. I did research and volunteering too but i think pretty much everyone has that to some degree so i would only bring it up if asked about it.

At the school I'm applying to (in AR), they are required to interview all AR residents. Works good in my favor :thumbup:

I'm just worried they are going to ask me "why did you get undergrad degree in nursing, get prereqs post-bac, and then apply? Why med school and not nursing?"

I'm just not good at interviews :scared:

Start this in the background and read the following comment:

Matthäus Passion - Erbarme dich

:thumbup: