Why are your reasons to choose Mayo (AZ) over Mayo (MN)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Deleted member 750603

I was hoping to get some insight into the Mayo Clinic Arizona Medical School.

I understand that Rochester is the mother-ship and the weather is nicer in Arizona, but what factors actually make Arizona campus competitive and/or more competitive over Rochester campus?

Not including weather as a factor or the "Real Mayoness" vs "Miracle Whip" arguments here are some things I was hoping people could reflect on.

1. Why would you choose Mayo (AZ) over Mayo (MN)?
2. What specialties are better at Mayo (AZ)?
3. What is your #1 reason to choose Mayo (AZ) over Mayo (MN)?

Members don't see this ad.

The faculty at Mayo have never had med students before and are likely excited to get some, so the opportunities to get great mentors and get involved in research bigger.

Can be a trailblazer. Lots of groups and initiatives need owners to get them off the ground.

I imagine AZ might be even more generous with scholarship money than Rochester.

(Thread's in the wrong spot. There's a "help me choose x vs y" sub.)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The faculty at Mayo have never had med students before and are likely excited to get some, so the opportunities to get great mentors and get involved in research bigger.

Can be a trailblazer. Lots of groups and initiatives need owners to get them off the ground.

I imagine AZ might be even more generous with scholarship money than Rochester.

(Thread's in the wrong spot. There's a "help me choose x vs y" sub.)

Good reasons. Thanks

This doesn't really add to the discussion but if you apply to Mayo are both under one application fee or do you have to pay for each separate?

From what I've read in the mayo thread the only thing people really consider is how new the Arizona one is and the weather. If I got into both I'd just go with whatever is cheaper. And if that wasn't a problem I'd probably go to whichever I liked better at the interview. Then finally if that was the same I'd choose arizona because I wouldn't mind never having to see snow for a while :p

This doesn't really add to the discussion but if you apply to Mayo are both under one application fee or do you have to pay for each separate?

From what I've read in the mayo thread the only thing people really consider is how new the Arizona one is and the weather. If I got into both I'd just go with whatever is cheaper. And if that wasn't a problem I'd probably go to whichever I liked better at the interview. Then finally if that was the same I'd choose arizona because I wouldn't mind never having to see snow for a while :p
They have separate application processes (fees, secondaries, interviews, etc)

Thread is still in the wrong spot :)

Reactions: 1 user