Why Aren?t Blacks Interested In Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolm100

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread to unite all the Black Pharmacy Students In here and to get your opinion.

I am entering my 3rd year of pharmacy next fall in New York City. In the graduating class Of 2008, I AM THE ONLY BLACK MALE and there's not more than 15 Black female students. IN ALL THERE IS ABOUT 250 STUDENTS IN THE 2008 CLASS.

I am assuming that this low representation of blacks is the same at all schools except of course the Historically Black Colleges.

I always wonder why more of us are not in Pharmacy schools. Some reasons
1. We are not being educated about the diverse field of pharmacy in High School.
2. We don't care about Pharmacy?
3. Our grades arent' competitive with other applicants

I WANT TO KNOW THE SITUATION AT OTHER PHARMACY SCHOOLS AND WHY THIS IS AND LASTLY, HOW WE CAN GET MORE BLACKS IN PHARMACY SCHOOLS?
ONE LOVE.

PS: SHOUTOUT TO ALL THE LOVELY SISTAS IN PHARMACY. Y'ALL KEEP A BROTHA GOING STRONG

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Pharmacy is definitely not a profession in which the composition of students matches that of the general population. My class of 86 is 2/3 female and 1/3 asian. The class has only 3 black students, none of whom were born in the US.

IMHO the underrepresentation of black students in pharmacy school is likely a direct reflection of the underrepresentation of black students in college. That in turn, is partially a reflection of the lousy state of our school system in some areas. Most of the kids in the neighborhood I grew up in never had a chance at college because the local high school was not a college preparatory environment. My parents moved so that I was able to attend a decent high school. But many people's parents have no alternative but to send their child to whatever schools they are zoned into. If we want to give all students an opportunity to pursue their dreams, we need to make sure that all students have an opportunity to quality schooling.

Hopefully my input is appreciated even though I am pasty and prone to freckles.

Well if it relieves a little pain, I am
currently selling my soul for pharmacy
and I can almost guarantee that I will succeed
with all odds against us. (Black people of course)
Breathe easy and Be easy there is enough space
for everyone to get out and make difference. I believe
the major problem is that most black high school children do not have the proper
education to even consider the field. The high school I went to was more involved
in looking the part and not knowing a d#mn thing (dressed up dummies my mom would call them). I havent thought that far for c/o 2008 but I will be a pharmacist before 2010. believe that.

be easy

Members don't see this ad :)
I think bananaface has said it all. You can go back to non HBCU's and also ask why the population of black students in college do not match the demographics of the U.S. I daresay that until recently even for students interested in pursuing healthcare, nursing and medicine are the main fields given significant thought with little consideration/exposure to the opportunities afforded by Pharmacy. Black students not being competitive enough- that may be a significant factor- a trend which carries on from U.S. high schools.
Anyway I'm excited to be starting Pharmacy school this fall- I can't wait!

afrikankoffee said:
I think bananaface has said it all. You can go back to non HBCU's and also ask why the population of black students in college do not match the demographics of the U.S. I daresay that until recently even for students interested in pursuing healthcare, nursing and medicine are the main fields given significant thought with little consideration/exposure to the opportunities afforded by Pharmacy. Black students not being competitive enough- that may be a significant factor- a trend which carries on from U.S. high schools.
Anyway I'm excited to be starting Pharmacy school this fall- I can't wait!

It might also be regional in nature. When I worked in Texas and Florida many
of my colleagues were black. Both states have pharmacy schools (Texas Southern and Florida Southern) which have a high attendance by people of color.

bananaface said:
Pharmacy is definitely not a profession in which the composition of students matches that of the general population. My class of 86 is 2/3 female and 1/3 asian. The class has only 3 black students, none of whom were born in the US.

IMHO the underrepresentation of black students in pharmacy school is likely a direct reflection of the underrepresentation of black students in college. That in turn, is partially a reflection of the lousy state of our school system in some areas. Most of the kids in the neighborhood I grew up in never had a chance at college because the local high school was not a college preparatory environment. My parents moved so that I was able to attend a decent high school. But many people's parents have no alternative but to send their child to whatever schools they are zoned into. If we want to give all students an opportunity to pursue their dreams, we need to make sure that all students have an opportunity to quality schooling.

Hopefully my input is appreciated even though I am pasty and prone to freckles.
. Thank you especially, Anyone of ANY COLOR IS WELCOMED TO GIVE AN INPUT.

Thanks to all who have responsded and will give some thought to this thread. I definitely agree 100% with banana face. Until we have equal education for EVERYONE and not just rich and middleclass kids, there wil always be underrepresentation in our society.
I guess I have been blessed and priviledged because I went to a good college prep High School that required a test for admission. It prepared me to go to college but right next to my high school was a High School and 85% of the kids never pursued Higher Education and the injustice in it is that they were all minorities. It is a sad fact because "a mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Until our schools get better and more of us get educated, we will always be looked down on and we won't progess as black people. That means our unemployment rates will continue to be high, and we will continue to be dependent on government.

I hope to do my part and when I am a pharmacist to encourage our brothers and sisters to look into pharmacy

coolm100 said:
. Thank you especially, Anyone of ANY COLOR IS WELCOMED TO GIVE AN INPUT.

Thanks to all who have responsded and will give some thought to this thread. I definitely agree 100% with banana face. Until we have equal education for EVERYONE and not just rich and middleclass kids, there wil always be underrepresentation in our society.
I guess I have been blessed and priviledged because I went to a good college prep High School that required a test for admission. It prepared me to go to college but right next to my high school was a High School and 85% of the kids never pursued Higher Education and the injustice in it is that they were all minorities. It is a sad fact because "a mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Until our schools get better and more of us get educated, we will always be looked down on and we won't progess as black people. That means our unemployment rates will continue to be high, and we will continue to be dependent on government.

I hope to do my part and when I am a pharmacist to encourage our brothers and sisters to look into pharmacy

props to you and ESPECIALLY YOUR PARENTS! it is def sad to see that a lot of miniorty students are left behind even with good potential.

kwakster928 said:
props to you and ESPECIALLY YOUR PARENTS! it is def sad to see that a lot of miniorty students are left behind even with good potential.

If you are blessed with a good support network you can do anything. If you are blessed with the inner drive you can do anything. I point to the little girl from New York City; father in prison, mother a crack *****. All odds against her. She went to school steering clear of the negativity. Her mother died and she was out on the street, homeless. She went to school steering clear of the negativity and taking great care to keep her circumstance hidden. It paid off. She won a scholarship and went to Harvard.

There is a culture of defeat in this country which trancends racial lines. If you believe in your self and you are willing to work, America is still the land where the streets are paved with cheese and there are no cats.

As an african american male myself, putting everything else aside, I believe that the majority of those that are competitive academically for pharmacy school choose other paths. Therefore I believe a part of the problem stems from not being informed about the profession. I went to a majority black school and I was and associated with all the honor students. You had all those that were going to school for premed, engineering, etc, however, I was the only one I ever heard mention pharmacy. I actually didn't realize the popularity of pharmacy untill college.

I am an african american pharmd student in south carolina. My class has 80 students: 80% female, 20% Asian, 7.5% African American(6 total). I didn't become interested in pharmacy until I took an advance placement chemistry class in high school and realized I hated biology. My teacher, who's husband is a pharmacist, recommend that I look into pharmacy. I shadowed several pharmacist in high school and loved it. No one else in my high school class ever thought about pharmacy.
I don't think that we are not interested its just that people are not fully informed. I can't remember when my guidance counselors even mention being a pharmacist when they talked about careers in the medical profession. It was either being a physician, dentist, nurse, PT, or OT. People just need to be informed that pharmacists do more than just count pills and stand on their feet all day. The sad thing about my class is that more than half of the students never even wanted to be pharmacists. They are in it for fast money so they can move on to another career.

It seems like a lot of students aren't informed about pharmacy though, not just african americans. I went to one of the best high schools in my state that was almost exclusively white. I never once heard any teacher or counselor mention pharmacy and I never knew anyone that was going into it.

I don't think the problem resides in the race ,nor in the failing school system but rather in a lack of support that not only African Americans ,but many teenegers from all ratial groups suffer in this country. I didn't grow here,and my perception is that since books say everything a student needs to know ; just a strong will to success will lead students of any race anywhere they want to be.Look at the Asian Americans and the direct impact their culture has in their study profeciency.All we know is not equally easy for everybody,but I believe is possible for anybody who has the discipline and is willing to pay the price.

Well, I am an African American female and I will be going into my first year this fall. There is definitely a void in the field of pharmacy in regards to African Americans. But the same applies to the college scene in general. The problem with our community is that we as a people lack HOPE, whether it be conscience or unconscience. Many in our community feel like our situation is hopeless. I came from an urban neighborhood and my high school was not exactly college prep. Most of the students in my high school ended up dropping out, getting pregnant, or going to jail. Example, there was a little over 800 students in my freshmen class, only 440 students graduated. Half of my class dropped out. This was my reality. But i never let it stop me. I was blessed because I had both my father and my mother and they were my support system. And believe me, I needed them. My best friend, also Black and also from the same school, also made it out and graduated undergrad and will be going to medical school next year. We are success stories. But there are many who don't have that support system like we did. They lack that HOPE that is needed to drive them through college. They see the situation of everyone around them and they feel like they cant make it.

If we want to change the sitaution, we need to start at the root of the problem. We need to show these children in the inner city that they can do it too. I hope that I can be that example for them. Without Hope, you have nothing!

I am sorry! I got a little long winded there. But its something that I am very passionate about. Thank you coolm100 for starting this thread!

Members don't see this ad :)
baggywrinkle said:
If you are blessed with a good support network you can do anything. If you are blessed with the inner drive you can do anything.

This support and inner drive goes all which ways...

My parents are middle class (not upper, mind you) and had three kids. They've been married over 30 years.

My older sister is currently on welfare. She has been on some form of assistance for the past 7 or 8 years. She has four kids, three of which are under the age of five. She doesn't like birth control because it doesn't "feel" right. Near the end of the month, I avoid her online (yes, she has internet and a cell phone event though she's on welfare) because she alludes to needing help to pay her bills. I hate feeling guilty about not helping my sister who's 10 years older than me make ends meet, so I avoid her.

By the time I married my husband in Aug last year, I had almost 15K in savings after paying 10K for college out of my own pocket. I've been working since I was 16 and every pay check went straight into the bank. I used my savings to put a downpayment on a house, a car, and pay for the wedding. I am currently going to a 25K+ private university but have less than 10K in student loans. It bothers the HELL out of me that I have more material possessions at the age of 21 than my 31 year old sister will have in her entire life.

It's strange how support and inner drive work for some people but not for others.

(sorry for the essay; i sort of have this stuff on my mind. I just got into a fight with my oldest sister because she told my other sister she needed to quit her job where she was making $10 an hour because it wasn't enough money. My sister is doing this job while she's in school. Since when is $10 an hour not good enough for someone on welfare!!!!!! *bangs head on wall*)

chitowngyrl said:
. They lack that HOPE that is needed to drive them through college. They see the situation of everyone around them and they feel like they cant make it.

If we want to change the sitaution, we need to start at the root of the problem. We need to show these children in the inner city that they can do it too. I hope that I can be that example for them. Without Hope, you have nothing!
Thank you chitowngyrl; Wish you success in school for the next 6 years and trust me, the years will go by fast. (I hope it could end faster)

Some of the hopelessness our people feel is somewhat genuine. I even with all of the advances and contributions our people accomplish including the past (not only in sports or music) we still don't get our proper respect . I am not asking for sympathy but being darkskinned is automatically a disadvantage in this society, hence some are lost in the struggle to overcome the inaccurate misguided labels society has cast on us and instead conform to the roles of drug dealers, irresponsible adults and malevolent men. Many of our people fall by the wayside and feel they are trapped in the status quo but they can still better themselves and in a greater context, our people.

Once again, thanks to everyone who gave an input. It is greatly appreciated

coolm100 said:
Thank you chitowngyrl; Wish you success in school for the next 6 years and trust me, the years will go by fast. (I hope it could end faster)

Thank you! I actually only have 4 years left. I start Pharm school in the fall. Good luck to you as well! I have said this many times and will say it many times more....I LOVE to see Black men in the healthcare field. Cause you see Black women in healthcare all the time. And even the Black men I do know in healthcare, 9 times out of 10 they are African and not American. I am proud of you. Keep up the good work!

This is for coolm100 and chitowngyrl.
Are you two interesting in other fields other than retail? I'm one of 6 African Americans in my class but the only one who wants to go into public health or academics. Everyone else wants to do retail only.

Well I do not want to do retail. I am going to follow with a Ph.D and I want to do pharmaceutical research.

illusions said:
Well I do not want to do retail. I am going to follow with a Ph.D and I want to do pharmaceutical research.
I want to go into retail for a couple of years to get experience, but my ultimate goal God willing is to own an independent pharmacy chain, here in American and in Nigeria(my birthplace). What about your goals?

htyotispharm said:
This is for coolm100 and chitowngyrl.
Are you two interesting in other fields other than retail? I'm one of 6 African Americans in my class but the only one who wants to go into public health or academics. Everyone else wants to do retail only.

I am not really interested in retail. At this point, I am really interested in Clinical. Maybe pediatrics or infectious disease. But who knows if that will change or not. But at this point in time, thats where I look to be headed towards! :)

chitowngyrl said:
Half of my class dropped out. This was my reality. But i never let it stop me. I was blessed because I had both my father and my mother and they were my support system. And believe me, I needed them. My best friend, also Black and also from the same school, also made it out and graduated undergrad and will be going to medical school next year. We are success stories. But there are many who don't have that support system like we did. They lack that HOPE that is needed to drive them through college. They see the situation of everyone around them and they feel like they cant make it.

Goodonya! As a living breathing success story, you are their support network, their role model, and their hope just by living your life and being who you are.

Pharmacy school was not easy for me. It was a struggle. That is why I am here with you today - to tell you what is possible. As long as you have hope, as long as you believe in yourself, you can do anything. Your younger brothers and sisters will need you in years to come.

I am here today to tell you that you are only defeated when you quit. Until that sad day it is just a setback. Never quit, and never give up hope. Then when you get where you are going, pass on what you have learned to those who will follow you.

I'm really looking forward to a career as a clinical oncology pharmacist. Here in South Carolina these positions are that abundant so I know I'll end up moving to Atlanta or Charlotte. I even thought about getting a masters in public health so I could do some research.

While in high school, and certainly around my neighborhood where I grew up, I noticed a certain trend (not sure if this trend is local, regional, or national)

Large groups of African-Americans (esp fellow students and peers) will insult and reject those few black students who decide to focus on academics or "getting ahead"

I've had friends who were called "sell-out" or "acting white" or "betraying your race" because they embraced academics (i.e. doing well, participating in non-sport afterschool activities, etc) while in school. I can not imagine the psychological impact that these repeated insults had on them, esp during their high school years where peer-pressure is quite heavy. I must say that my friends had good parents (and support structures) that encouraged them and knew the value of a good education and having goals in life. However, I also knew people who had good parents (and tried to encourage them to pursue a good education) who didn't care ... who cut classes, didn't do homework, kinda took pride in "not knowing ****", didn't care about their future - basically your typical trouble-maker teenager.

Now this observation is just ancedotal - I'm not implying that this is a national trend, or a racial trend, or anything. It could just be something that occurs in one inner city neighborhod in Philadelphia. But I sometimes wonder ... going back to the original question ... how many potential bright black students (and doctors/pharmacists/engineers/politicians) were denied their opportunities due to peer pressure and the guilt of "betraying their race" (you gotta admit, if you are a teenager and you were constantly being accused of betraying your race by your fellow peers, it can have quite a huge impact)

It's not just in Philadelphia. The St. Pete Times wrote a week long series on this problem. They interviewed many teenagers, parents, teachers and administrators. "Acting white" was a label thrown at any person trying to succeed academically. It made no difference what school they were attending or whether they were from a poor or middle class neighborhood. This is a problem that needs to be addressed in the African American community.

I am glad that someone started this post. I am a black female and am DESPERATE to get into pharmacy school. I graduated form Baylor University in Waco Texas with a BA in Biochemistry and am about to complete my Masters in Public Health. i applied to all TX schools, and Mercer, had interviews with most and was DENIED to every one. Now, does anyone have any suggestions for me? This is my 2nd time applying. What is really going on? I know there are some of us out there who DO want to go, but we, or at least I cant get in. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to reply. I REALLY want to get in!

Setor- Alot of people don't get admitted until their second time applying, myself included. If you got interviews this year, you will get them next time around, easy. Be able to show them what you did to become a more competitive applicant over the past year. Above all, be positive and enthusiastic during next year's interviews. You might consider scouting out and applying to some schools out of state, just for the heck of it. Keep your chin up. :)

bananaface said:
If you got interviews this year, you will get them next time around, easy.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but this isn't always true. A gal in my microbiology class this past spring was in her second year of applying this past application cycle (for matriculation this fall). She had applied a year earlier (pre-PharmCAS) to several schools, was given interviews at a couple of them, and waitlisted at one. She didn't make it off of the wait list.

This past year (through PharmCAS) she applied to the same schools plus more and didn't even get an interview. Now she's changed her mind and is pursuing optometry.

There could have been many factors as to why she didn't get an interview this time around, and I believe the influx of apps due to PharmCAS may have been the most important. But, it opened my eyes to a reality that just because you get an interview one year doesn't guarantee one the following.

Setor, I also applied to Mercer and was denied. I think someone posted the stats on Mercer applications where for the last application cycle, there were more than 10 applicants per seat. I think if you really want to get in you should seriously consider out of state schools. You said you applied to all TX schools- how early did you apply? Consider the early PharmCAS application this time around. Id be surprised if you applied very early for the third time around with the schools' knowledge and your persistence and still got denied!
Best of luck!

Schools are also conducting more interviews per seat. Since people are applying to 2-3 times as many schools, the chance that the top applicants are going to accept the spots they are offered is going way down.

Setor- Your GPA was competitive enough to get you into a master's program, so I figure it is pretty good. And, the master's in public health will make you a much more competitive applicant than you were before. A community college student with half-finished prereqs can lose alot of ground in a year. I don't think you will share that path.

Thank you to everyone who has replied. I am going to apply earlier this time, but I do have one question- if I plan on taking a class this semester, should I wait before having my transcript sent or should I send it now and after I have completed that course?

Well I am a black male and I can tell you that careers in the health idustry were never emphasised when I was in high school. Many of my teachers and family automatically considered a career in the health industry as a career for women. To most, they thought that the only career available was nursing. It wasnt until a few years ago that I started looking into a alternate career (I am leaving IT :D ) and I saw that there were other fields besides being a nurse(dont get upset....nothing wrong with being a male nurse). Hopefully in time more blacks will realize this. I dont mind the fact that there are more women then men in this field..it just helps my odds of meeting ladies :love:

Setor said:
Thank you to everyone who has replied. I am going to apply earlier this time, but I do have one question- if I plan on taking a class this semester, should I wait before having my transcript sent or should I send it now and after I have completed that course?

When you sign onto PharmCas, there will be a section that will let you put in the classes that you intend to take before entering pharmacy school if are you are accepted, even the classes up to the summer before entering school. Schools will see this section when they review your application and will know what classes you are going to take. If you are accepted to the school before you have finished the class, you will send the transcipts for that class directly to the school. If you have not heard word from your schools by the time you complete the class about acceptance, you will send your transcripts for THAT CLASS to PharmCas. SEND YOUR OTHER TRANSCRIPTS NOW. In fact, go to your undergraduate registrar and do it right this very minute. They say it can take up to six weeks to enter your grades. It is much easier to have the bulk of the transcripts entered now by them and then they can add additions later. All this info is on the pharmcas website.

Also, another note. Pharmcas won't post the verification for your grades until you submit your online application and pay for it.

I've been reading the posts on this thread and couldn't resist any longer. I don't do a lot of long posts on this board, but I had to make an exception. ;)

I don't think I ever felt the peer pressure of "acting/sounding" black. We (my siblings and I) were told that we sounded "white". We never bowed to the pressure to conform to a certain mold. That's because my parents would not allow us, but let me say this. A lot of times parents know how to get their kids past the high-school level, and sometimes that's where it ends. Altho my father went to college, by the time the kids came along, things were different and he just couldn't understand that.

We have to set the bar/standards higher. It's great to finish high school, but there is a life beyond high school. We have to encourage this generation to do better. Our new standard should become the master's or the doctorate degrees. So many times, we are not exposed to people who have achieved such high academic acheivements as the people we see on this board. My parents dreamed big dreams for us but didn't have a clue as to how to help us achieve such lofty aspirations.

When my parents found out I wanted to go to medical or pharmacy school, my mother was encouraging but I knew she couldn't believe that a black person could possibly achieve such a lofty goal. I know there is still a self doubt there in her eyes. She hopes for the best but wonders if it is possible. I am here to show her that it is possible. I see people of color doing it all the time, every day. That has to become the norm in a child's life. It needs to become their environment, a vein in their blood. Very few children make it out of the "inner city", "small town" without a helping hand. Those stories we hear about the guy/girl that made it out (alone) are very few and far between.

I, personally, have not had a helping hand. I have been hungry, nearly homeless and kicked out of school twice for lack of funds. I never told my parents how I was struggling. I just held on.
I have had friends who thought I was a burden and allowed me to stand in the rain to wait an hour for a bus. One of these "friends" was also my roommate who lived with me. She has since graduated and moved on. I'm okay with her now because that craziest is so far behind me in the best possible way.

If you want to help the kids, you have to satrt with the parents. A lot of parents don't know that the information is out there. I don't think anyone mentioned pharmacy to me once in high-school. Nothing wrong with teaching, becoming a lawyer, artist etc. There are just other options out there. A lot of schools in the poorer neighborhoods are just trying to get the kids out of high school. That's as high as they can reach. Maybe that is all they've been exposed to.

I'm out to prove something because I have so many nieces and nephews coming behind me who are now deciding that they want to go on to college, not just high school.

I believe that there is a gap in access to education for some children. I don't know how to change it, but I do know that I plan to be a walking, talking billboard for change.
(I'll stop here. I think you get the idea.) ;)

I'm sorry this post was so long. I think it might be a record for me. :oops:

Aloha 2badr,
In my experience, the "minority" populations have many more financial resources to finance (most of which are grants) their education than the caucasian population. If you have the grades and the aptitude, you'll do well.

2badr said:
I've been reading the posts on this thread and couldn't resist any longer. I don't do a lot of long posts on this board, but I had to make an exception. ;)

I don't think I ever felt the peer pressure of "acting/sounding" black. We (my siblings and I) were told that we sounded "white". We never bowed to the pressure to conform to a certain mold. That's because my parents would not allow us, but let me say this. A lot of times parents know how to get their kids past the high-school level, and sometimes that's where it ends. Altho my father went to college, by the time the kids came along, things were different and he just couldn't understand that.

We have to set the bar/standards higher. It's great to finish high school, but there is a life beyond high school. We have to encourage this generation to do better. Our new standard should become the master's or the doctorate degrees. So many times, we are not exposed to people who have achieved such high academic acheivements as the people we see on this board. My parents dreamed big dreams for us but didn't have a clue as to how to help us achieve such lofty aspirations.

When my parents found out I wanted to go to medical or pharmacy school, my mother was encouraging but I knew she couldn't believe that a black person could possibly achieve such a lofty goal. I know there is still a self doubt there in her eyes. She hopes for the best but wonders if it is possible. I am here to show her that it is possible. I see people of color doing it all the time, every day. That has to become the norm in a child's life. It needs to become their environment, a vein in their blood. Very few children make it out of the "inner city", "small town" without a helping hand. Those stories we hear about the guy/girl that made it out (alone) are very few and far between.

I, personally, have not had a helping hand. I have been hungry, nearly homeless and kicked out of school twice for lack of funds. I never told my parents how I was struggling. I just held on.
I have had friends who thought I was a burden and allowed me to stand in the rain to wait an hour for a bus. One of these "friends" was also my roommate who lived with me. She has since graduated and moved on. I'm okay with her now because that craziest is so far behind me in the best possible way.

If you want to help the kids, you have to satrt with the parents. A lot of parents don't know that the information is out there. I don't think anyone mentioned pharmacy to me once in high-school. Nothing wrong with teaching, becoming a lawyer, artist etc. There are just other options out there. A lot of schools in the poorer neighborhoods are just trying to get the kids out of high school. That's as high as they can reach. Maybe that is all they've been exposed to.

I'm out to prove something because I have so many nieces and nephews coming behind me who are now deciding that they want to go on to college, not just high school.

I believe that there is a gap in access to education for some children. I don't know how to change it, but I do know that I plan to be a walking, talking billboard for change.
(I'll stop here. I think you get the idea.) ;)

I'm sorry this post was so long. I think it might be a record for me. :oops:

Just a reminder that important issues like these are being discussed on blackmeds.com. Why don't you copy and paste this post on there.

I have to ring in. I have to agree more with 2badr than some of the others even though I believe there isnt 1 sole cause to the under representation of blacks in Pharmacy school.

I was turned onto the profession after massive amounts of research on health professions and even then I still had no clue what they did. In high school I never even heard anyone mention the word Pharmacist furthermore try to encourage students to go into the profession.

The problem stems from the black communities(as well as other communities) lack of knowledge about the Pharmacist profession as a whole. They just don't know about the process of becoming a Pharmacist, the job detail, or the premeditated steps(SCIENCE!) you must take to start the road to becoming a pharmacist.

That talk about "you act white" sounds ludicrous to me, I dont know anyone who talks like that and I live in Brooklyn. If people see you in your slacks, tie, and button down shirt they usually give you the respect that your trying to do your thing and "get out of the hood." Its inspiring to them and it lets them know that some people can do if they want.

rxdoc05 said:
Aloha 2badr,
In my experience, the "minority" populations have many more financial resources to finance (most of which are grants) their education than the caucasian population. If you have the grades and the aptitude, you'll do well.
I think in a way, you're right. It just seems that you have to actually know about these resources to take advantage of them ;).

I know a lot more about these resources now than I did when I first started. :)

Aucdoctobe said:
Just a reminder that important issues like these are being discussed on blackmeds.com. Why don't you copy and paste this post on there.

This is the first time I have ever heard about this sight. I'm going there now to check it out. :D

2badr said:
This is the first time I have ever heard about this sight. I'm going there now to check it out. :D

Its a brand new site, kudo's for starting a site like that.

2badr said:

Thank you so much. I would really appreciate if any of you can make posts on there. One nice thing about this site is that it has a very intelligent membership. It's nice to see black people gathering like that. Next week, I will present the site before various organizations -- black medical association, black dental association, black pharmacy association, black nurses association. We need as many posts as possible to show them the legitimacy of the site.

If any of you can do one thing, please register and make at least one post on that site. Your experiences would be appreciated.

Aucdoctobe said:
Next week, I will present the site before various organizations -- black medical association, black dental association, black pharmacy association, black nurses association. We need as many posts as possible to show them the legitimacy of the site.
If you want pharmacy people to visit and promote your site it might be best to give them their own forum there instead of lumping us into "other" and giving the medical, nursing, and dental folks their own forums. We noted earlier in this discussion that lack of exposure to pharmacy as opposed to other medical fields has contributed to keeping many people out of the profession. I would think that giving pharmacy direct exposure on this site would be helpful in reversing the trend. You might also be better recieved by the black pharmacy association next week.

bananaface said:
If you want pharmacy people to visit and promote your site it might be best to give them their own forum there instead of lumping us into "other" and giving the medical, nursing, and dental folks their own forums. We noted earlier in this discussion that lack of exposure to pharmacy as opposed to other medical fields has contributed to keeping many people out of the profession. I would think that giving pharmacy direct exposure on this site would be helpful in reversing the trend. You might also be better recieved by the black pharmacy association next week.

You are correct. The pharmacy forum is now active. Sorry about that. I look foward to more of your posts. I think that they will be very positive.

auc, i sent you a pm regarding your site.

afrikankoffee said:
auc, i sent you a pm regarding your site.

Thank you so much for the PM. I promise that the site will get a lot better. Right now, the site isn't even 5% as good as I want it to be. Expect better.

In the meantime, I would like to ask you all to post on the pharmacy forum if you get a chance. If anything, please try to make at least one post detailing your experiences. This will help later on. When the website is ready, I will be presenting it to the Association of Black Health System Pharmacists.

pharmacology said:
Hi,

Just thought I would add a few comments to this thread. First off I am not black...I'm white. And second, I am not a pharmacy student....I'm the professor. I too agree that the black population is underrepresented in pharmacy schools...certainly at my location. But I have read over every post here and I saw where many of you said that you knew little of pharmacy while in high school....and that many of you felt more should be done to promote the career of pharmacy. Yet what I did not hear, was anyone on the three pages of posts mention they were going back to the high schools to talk with the students, the the guidance counselors, and to the parents. It is one thing for a bunch of professors (mostly white...blacks are also underrepresented at the PhD level) to hold a career day in the schools. I think it would do much for high school students if various black organizations....heck even if a black individuals took the time to talk with students about the profession. Has anyone here taken the initiative to go into the high schools and talk with the black students? I'm certainly not saying it is up to blacks to get other blacks into the health professions....we certainly all need to make an effort. But I see the smart, enthusiastic, young black students in my class as role models who have much to offer the black high schools students. Please take advantage of that and give back what you know.

Well that is my honest opinion...sitting on the otherside of the fence. Perhaps I am wrong....feel free to tell me....I would like to know. All I know is that pharmacists are in demand and there are many career opportunities for the future pharmacist.

I believe too, that we must reach the parents when the children are young...I thought I mentioned that in my post somewhere after that longwinded reply. ;)

I think you make some excellent points. I do believe that we should "give back to the community". I also believe that starting websites as one poster has mentioned, encouraging children to stay in a school is a push in the right direction. I will constantly be amazed by all of the people who encouraged me to take a lot of math and science in high school (and I did) and then I was lost as to what to do next!

Oddly enough, I felt lost in the college scene untl I moved in with my sister who was also in college. I began to gain the exposure into various careers I really needed when I was in high school. :)

Edit: I guess it doesn't matter how you start but where you end up. ;)

I always like to crunch numbers when data is available. There are some factual statements which can be made given the following data:

a)Completed PharmCAS applications (by race) - page 11
Asian 25.3%;Black 8.5%;Hispanic 4.9%;White 49%
b)Accepted PharmCAS applications (by race) - page 12
Asian 19%;Black 4.9%;Hispanic 4.5%;White 60.7%
c)2000 census data - US population
Asian 3.6%;Black 12.1%;Hispanic 12.6%;White 69.1%
A:C - application proportion to US population proportion (<1 = underrepresented in applicant pool)
Asian 25.3%:3.6% = 7.02 (not underrepresented)
Black 8.5%: 12.1% = 0.72 (3rd most underrepresented)
Hispanic 4.9%:12.6% =0.38 (most underrepresented)
White 49%:69.1% =0.71 (2nd most underrepresented)
B:C - acceptance proportion to US population proportion (<1 = underrepresented in admission pool)
Asian 19%:3.6%=5.28 (not underrepresented)
Black 4.9%:12.1%=0.40 (most underrepresented)
Hispanic 4.5%:4.9%=0.91 (3rd most underrepresented)
White 60.7%:69.1%=0.88 (2nd most underrepresented)
B:A admission to application ratio
Asian 19%:25.3%=0.75
Black 4.9%:8.5%:=0.58
Hispanic 4.5%:4.9%=0.92
White 60.7%:49%=1.24
So, what does this data say?

-The apparent underrepresentation of other groups in the applicant pool is a reflection of the enormous number of Asian applicants. The same is true of the acceptance pool.
-Hispanic students are most underrepresented (per capita) in the application pool.
-Black students are most underrepresented (per capita) in the acceptance pool.
-White applicants are more likely to be accepted after applying than the general population.
-Asian, black, and Hispanic students are less likely to be accepted after applying than the general population.

It would seem that if we ignore the large interest Asian students have in pursuing pharmacy, that black students are as interested as other groups in pursiung the field. That is not to say we should not strive to get as many people interested in our profession as possible. But a more relevant question to ask ourselves would be: What can be done to improve the pharmacy school admission rate for black students?

Yes, blame it on us asians. :D We're the reason why other races are underrepresented in pharmacy.

I don't know about all this. I know pharmacy isn't the most well known or thought of , of all medical professions. But everyone goes to a pharmacist and everyone knows at least roughly what their job entails. Why can't people just research it themselves to realize that pharmacy is a great career? Everyone is always talking about having to go and "advertise" pharmacy as a great field. No matter what color a person is, or where they are from, they should still figure it out for themselves. I'm not white. I'm not black either. Although my dad is African. No one in high school told me to concentrate on sciences, no one told me about pharmacy. I figured it out for myself because I have a passion for the sciences and (which I realized later on) for this field. The more people advertise about how "great" the profession is, the more people will apply who wouldn't have had the initiative on their own. I don't like the idea of people in professions that have to be "guided" into those professions, if they can't figure it out for themselves, then maybe that's not what they should do. There is tons of stats on the internet, I don't think it's our responsibility (as people who have researched and understand the field) to go and bring the info to people as if it's hidden or something and they can't do it themselves.

Just my 2 cents.

laura_mideon said:
I don't know about all this. I know pharmacy isn't the most well known or thought of , of all medical professions. But everyone goes to a pharmacist and everyone knows at least roughly what their job entails. Why can't people just research it themselves to realize that pharmacy is a great career? Everyone is always talking about having to go and "advertise" pharmacy as a great field. No matter what color a person is, or where they are from, they should still figure it out for themselves. I'm not white. I'm not black either. Although my dad is African. No one in high school told me to concentrate on sciences, no one told me about pharmacy. I figured it out for myself because I have a passion for the sciences and (which I realized later on) for this field. The more people advertise about how "great" the profession is, the more people will apply who wouldn't have had the initiative on their own. I don't like the idea of people in professions that have to be "guided" into those professions, if they can't figure it out for themselves, then maybe that's not what they should do. There is tons of stats on the internet, I don't think it's our responsibility (as people who have researched and understand the field) to go and bring the info to people as if it's hidden or something and they can't do it themselves.

Just my 2 cents.

What nonsense... How many kids ages 13-18 go to the pharmacy every day to pick up their prescription of prozac or viagra or any regular usuage drug? Most kids do not go to the pharmacy because they dont need to. They have parents that pick it up and that was especially the case with me when I was younger. I always stayed in the car while my parents went in to get their drugs and If i did go in I wasnt going to go stand on some long line with them. I had no idea about the actual Pharmacist profession until I got older which is when I researched it and that is when I decided to pursue the field. Im sure my story isnt unique.

J Lucas said:
What nonsense... How many kids ages 13-18 go to the pharmacy every day to pick up their prescription of prozac or viagra or any regular usuage drug? Most kids do not go to the pharmacy because they dont need to. They have parents that pick it up and that was especially the case with me when I was younger. I always stayed in the car while my parents went in to get their drugs and If i did go in I wasnt going to go stand on some long line with them. I had no idea about the actual Pharmacist profession until I got older which is when I researched it and that is when I decided to pursue the field. Im sure my story isnt unique.

I'm with you on this. The only healthcare professionals I had contact with when I was a kid were nurses and doctors (and dentists). I'd never had contact with a pharmacist until my senior year in high school when my business teacher asked if I wanted to shadow a pharmacist at a local store.