RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
nope we don't? or nope we do go through the nrmp? ehh whatever i'll find out when the time comes.

Spandex

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
No match. You simply apply to the programs individually and fill out whatever forms and submit whatever materials each asks for. Then you get invited to interview (hopefully) and sometimes they'll tell you right there you have the spot (or so I heard).

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
thank you for the explination. for some reason I thought that was the processes only for fellowships that are not ACGME approved, and for the ones that are approved we still go through a national match type of process. I guess I thought wrong.

Gern Blansten

Account on Hold
10+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2006
Northeast
Status
Attending Physician
There is a push to go to a matching system. Options include using ERAS for the application, but continuing without the NRMP (this is what I suspect will happen), going with both ERAS and the NRMP (many people against using NRMP for various reasons, or leaving as is. Using ERAS makes sense to decrease the busy work of multiple applications. This has been discussed for a couple years now. I think it is about to take place (within the next couple of years). The biggest problem, IMHO, is that each program has its own timeline so that you may be forced to accept or decline a position at your second, third, or fourth choice when your number one choice for a fellowship has not even sent out interview invites.
I think getting people(programs) on ERAS and on a similar timeline would be a huge improvement to the process.

bluewater

Cardiac Anesthesiologist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
The beauty of not having a match for fellowships is that you do not have to pay a centralized service to handle applications uniformly. It is very much like a normal job search-- you find a position you like and apply, then based on the programs timeline, you get the job or you do not. I interviewed at my number 1 choice first and was given the position early in the interview season, so I cancelled the rest of my interviews and saved a ton of money on flights, hotels and travel.

If I am not mistake several years ago at an ASA meeting, there was a debate amongst the residents concering the use of a match system for fellowships and it was not undertaken based on the opinion at that time.

I thought is was very financially beneficial to not have to go through a match for fellowship.

I am sure others can tell the other side of the story.

countingdays

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
The beauty of not having a match for fellowships is that you do not have to pay a centralized service to handle applications uniformly. It is very much like a normal job search-- you find a position you like and apply, then based on the programs timeline, you get the job or you do not. I interviewed at my number 1 choice first and was given the position early in the interview season, so I cancelled the rest of my interviews and saved a ton of money on flights, hotels and travel.

If I am not mistake several years ago at an ASA meeting, there was a debate amongst the residents concering the use of a match system for fellowships and it was not undertaken based on the opinion at that time.

I thought is was very financially beneficial to not have to go through a match for fellowship.

I am sure others can tell the other side of the story.
I agree that NOT having the match is financially beneficial. I had 6-7 interviews lined up but took the job at my second interview, cancelled the others. That saved me thousands in travel costs and allowed me to use vacation time for something other than interviewing.

Bertelman

Maverick!
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Had a Cooch
Status
Attending Physician
Exactly. Plus, it's not like these apps are cumbersome. It's pretty much CV + PS + letters

DScully

5+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2009
Status
Exactly. Plus, it's not like these apps are cumbersome. It's pretty much CV + PS + letters
And I assume that the PS has to be tailored to that specific program...? Like the secondary application for med school??

Bertelman

Maverick!
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
Had a Cooch
Status
Attending Physician
And I assume that the PS has to be tailored to that specific program...? Like the secondary application for med school??
Shit I hope not.

(second-guesses his own decision to create one PS and send it to several programs)