1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

why ask why?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by amerz, Aug 10, 2002.

1. amerz

amerz New Member

so, here i am took the MCAT's and everything and now wondering do I want to go to Med School or not?

Why do you guys want to go? Are the 7 years of school and no sleep and no life worth it? or am I exaggerating?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Spidey

Spidey Leorl's official stalker
    7+ Year Member

I want to go cuz doctors get a lot of chicks

4. amerz

amerz New Member

:p
    ok so i didn't really expect anything better at 2 am

5. Vader

Vader Dark Lord of the Sith
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Only you can make the decision of whether medicine is for you. I think most people who pursue a career as a physician would say yes, it was worth it. However, the path is not easy and takes an immense amount of dedication and hard work. For me, going to medical school has given me the chance to pursue my interests in research, teaching, and patient care.

Good luck... :D

6. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Good call

7. phllystyl

7+ Year Member

Ive said it before, and im going to have to say it again:

bling-bling n bitchez, the three b's of why med school is a wise choice!

8. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

bling bling n bitchez, BOOYAH! FOE BEEZ.

9. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

I want to go to med school for the intelligent discourse of my colleagues...

10. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    LOL!

11. Spidey

Spidey Leorl's official stalker
    7+ Year Member

haha. Nice, nice.

12. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

you dis me you dis yoself!

13. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Membership Revoked
    Removed

I've already run into several doctors and residents who report that if they had to do it all over again, they would not choose medicine. But then if you ask them what else they would do, oftentimes they don't have an answer. Medicine is a great job, I think that it's much more exciting then looking at a computer screen 9-5 or fiddling around with money in accounting books. I'm not saying that medicine is for everyone, some people might genuinely be happier in another field, but remember that you are doing to be spending most of your waking moments in your job, so you better try and pick something that you will enjoy or at least not mind doing all day. And remember that in 7 yrs, you will be 29 regardless of what you are doing. So you could either be a doctor, or you could be kicking yourself in 7 yrs because you are in a job that you dislike. Then again, you could be kicking yourself in 7 yrs in medicine because you dislike being in medicine and having all that debt. So of course it's worth some careful consideration, I would suggest that you think about alternatives to pursuing medicine and write out a list of pros and cons to the different fields for you.

14. freakazoid

freakazoid Guy Friend Extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

Chicks in scrubs. :D

15. Doctor Octagonecologyst

Doctor Octagonecologyst Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

There's a strong chance it will be worth it if you have an exceptional tolerance for delayed gratification. You don't necessarily have to tolerate 100 hour work weeks, because there are a number of specialties that require a relatively small amount of your time. However, you're not going to be able to do very much besides study and work during your education and training, which could stretch over a decade. If the prospect of "losing" this part of your life doesn't overly bother you, then I say go for it. If you want to always have a well-rounded lifestyle, then you'd be wise to carefully consider everything. Of course contrarians will tell you that you can still have a life in med school and even residency, but my advice is that you can't count on it.

16. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer
    7+ Year Member

Why ask why? Drink Bud Dry.

17. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    w0rd.

18. phllystyl

7+ Year Member

w0rd

19. greniedgal

greniedgal Member
    7+ Year Member

amerz: I am in a similar situation, at the crossroad of healthcare career planning. Unlike you, I'm a little 'behind' as I will not take the mcats until april and will be applying that summer. My crossroads lead to medical school and pa school. In my opinion, if you are a little shaky about the time commitment then maybe look into getting your masters in medical science, becoming a PA-C and still getting to practice medicine....all in 2 years, unlike the medschool route of 7+. The only 'drawback' is that you must practice under a supervising physician, but often you may not ever see him/her....just check-in's biweekly. You are given alot of autonomy and responsibility, but not quite as much as a physician.
    In this month's AAPA News there was an article that found 9 out of 10 PA's would choose the same career path. In 2002 a survey reported that 50% of PA's would 'definitely' become a PA again if given the choice, while 36% would probably and only 10% said they wouldn't be likely. This is in comparision to a survey of family physicians published in the Journal of Family Practice that found 66% of physicians said they were likely to choose medicine again if given the chance, with 53% saying they would recommend medicine as a profession to young people and 45% saying they would not. I don't know, but I found that interesting.
    I think you simply need to look at the "end result" as I've been advised. It won't matter how long it takes you to get to the end, if you're happy there. Think of what you want to be 10 years from now.....because in the grand scheme of things, these few years will not make much of a difference. You just need to be happy in the long run.
    Medicine is so rewarding, every field of practice. You get to spend your days at work HEALING people....it should come at a cost. And honestly, if you're really interested, you will want to learn and the years will go by.

Just know that you're not the only one out there who gets "cold feet." Many people stop and stare at the crossroads....
    Follow your heart regardless of time.........