Why be a Dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BGEBROWN

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am right now entering my Junior year in undergrad. I have decent grades and have the option of applying to and having a good chance of getting into both med school and dental school. My dilemma at this point is that I cannot come to a definite conclusion on which path I want to choose. I have always wanted to be a dentist but now am having second thoughts. Can anyone give me some of the plusses and minuses of being a dentist? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

My mother is a dentist, and I have watched her enjoy her job my entire life. The best reason for becoming a dentist, however, is that this profession gives you a clear-cut opportunity to build life-long relationships with those you work for. you will notice not many people switch dentists, and if htey do, they don't do it often; this way you get to know your patients for their whole lives, as well as the children and so on. Not to mention, that knowing you are a crucial part of someone's life is a very fulfilling reward.
But I should warn you, if you're not a people person, you probably shouldn't go into dentistry...no matter how much money you may be able to make.

RO6,

I really don't want to get personal..but could you state more quantitatively as to what the financial rewards are?