Why Biology Majors Score Lower on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capn jazz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've figured it out. Where as a physics or gen chem guru would be super prepared to just answer the Qs in the PS section with minimal passage reliance, people who are strong in bio (most premeds) try to apply that to the BS section as well.

DO NOT DO THIS.

BS is like verbal - it's all about the SPECIFIC scenario they're laying out for you in the passage. If you see a question that you remember from class and answer it quickly without glancing at the passage, you're probably missing some specific "however..." or "in this experiment..." or "unlike what is usually expected" detail from the passage.

BS is more like VERBAL than PS. It is heavily passage-dependent, and if you are confused about choosing between two answers, and one sounds familiar from your biochem/advanced genetics/endo course, while one is mentioned specifically in the passage, go with the passage!

As I was taking practice Qs, I honestly found that a good number of my incorrect answers stemmed from me not being loyal enough to the passage and relying on my pretty heavy bio background. There's another problem with doing this: if you've taken a ton of advanced bio courses, you might run across a concept on the MCAT that you covered in detail but haven't studied since and thus are a bit shaky on. If it seems like it's above the level of MCAT review presented in the review books, it's probably meant to be answered using the passage and not your spotty memory of a class you took two years ago.

Humanities majors don't have this problem because the only bio they know is generally the intro-level stuff that's reviewed in the MCAT books. So they don't bring this excess baggage into the MCAT and second-guess the passage. The number of BS questions that will literally require detailed knowledge that you have stored in your brain will be far outnumbered by the passage-based questions.

Thoughts? Comments?

Members don't see this ad.

I alwasy thought bio majors (me) don't do so hot on the mcat because VR blows

Hmm. Maybe. I got a 14 on BS and I'm a cell bio major, and I found that all of my undergrad classes in bio really helped me out with the BS section.

More likely (to me):
1. The average test-taker will get a 25 on their MCAT.
2. The average test-taker is pre-med.
3. The most popular pre-med major is biology.

It would make sense that biology majors, on average, would tend towards getting a "lower" score (closer to 25), just from statistics.

That said, anything's possible. It would definitely be unwise to ignore the theory presented in a passage in favor of the one your professor taught you.

Hmm. Maybe. I got a 14 on BS and I'm a cell bio major, and I found that all of my undergrad classes in bio really helped me out with the BS section.

More likely (to me):
1. The average test-taker will get a 25 on their MCAT.
2. The average test-taker is pre-med.
3. The most popular pre-med major is biology.

It would make sense that biology majors, on average, would tend towards getting a "lower" score (closer to 25), just from statistics.

That said, anything's possible. It would definitely be unwise to ignore the theory presented in a passage in favor of the one your professor taught you.

Now I see why you got a 38. Those are the very reasons and it annoys the crap out of me when people spew such garbage. The vast majority major in biology and we're suprised they score lower?.........

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting to say the least, but aren't you suppose to apply outside knowledge in BS? I mean, even if there is a passage, you are expected to apply what you know. Of course, if you stated something that's doesn't agree with the passage, then that's obviously wrong, but I don't see what's wrong with applying what you know (whether it'd be review material or stuff you learned in courses) to the questions. If it's a contradictory topic (i.e. hottly reasearched area), then the passage will either clarify or avoid it all together. Which is why advance bio degree need not apply to MCAT.

But yes I do agree with you, trust the passage first then your knowledge. IMHO PS and BS are all like VR, in that they all have passages. BS just requires more memory where as PS requires more formula application.

I disagree. Bio majors have the background to understand the complicated passages. Yes, it is possible to understand the passages with only the biology pre-requisites, but it's a lot easier if you've read Science and Nature articles for every class.

Edit: This is coming from a non-bio major who wishes they had taken more biology courses.

I disagree. Bio majors have the background to understand the complicated passages. Yes, it is possible to understand the passages with only the biology pre-requisites, but it's a lot easier if you've read Science and Nature articles for every class.

Edit: This is coming from a non-bio major who wishes they had taken more biology courses.

I kind of see what you mean - I'm awful at PS and good at BS, and I feel MUCH more comfortable looking at a BS passage because it's almost never something I've never seen before. However, I'm doing BETTER on PS practice Qs than BS, and I attribute that to the fact that I take the words of the PS passages as law, where as I find myself too-often choosing BS answers that are right in general, but wrong in the context of the passage.

So while I'm more confident and calm during BS, I am getting more questions right in PS at some points.

It's probably true what the OP says about the PS section. I wish I took more physics and chemistry because decoding what the PS passages were asking was one of the hardest parts in my opinion. Having more background helps you see the relationships quicker.

I echo the sentiments that having too much biology often ends up in rashly picking answers. I hate it when that happens. I'd say very little of the BS section is recalling information you know (except the stand-alones, for the most part.)

While I don't agree with the generalization bio major = lower MCAT score, the OP does have a point.

Questions in the BS section should be answered with the passage first, outside knowledge second. If the two conflict, go with the passage.

While I don't agree with the generalization bio major = lower MCAT score, the OP does have a point.

Questions in the BS section should be answered with the passage first, outside knowledge second. If the two conflict, go with the passage.

It's true. However, the reason for that is that most pre-meds are bio majors. So, since the average mcat taker scores 25, and the vast majority of these individuals are bio majors, then it should be of no surprise that bio majors score the worst. That's what some of the posters were alluding. My buddy got a 42 and he's a bio major but 3 other bio majors I know got 23, 25 and 28.