1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Why BU sucks

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by KorgTuner, Dec 5, 2002.

1. KorgTuner

KorgTuner Junior Member

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DeltronZ

DeltronZ Member

the red sox suck

4. pumpkins90

pumpkins90 Member

I alwaMy ys heard to apply to BU as a backup school because they accept almost everyone. That is not true. Having never been to boston before, i interviewed there last week. I was really impressed with the school. The assistant dean told me they usually don't accept people under a 19 on the DAT. Now considering the average score is 17 i say they don't accept everyone. My positives: new simulation lab for 1st and 2nd year, each chair has their own personal space instead of a big open room, APEX program (working as a dental assistant while in school),great research opportunities,plenty of patients to choose from in boston. Although the cost is very expensive they have a very unique program. => There is such a shortage of dental hygientists in mass. that you can become licsences after your 3 year of dental school. The starting pay is $36 per hour in boston. Not bad money you can earn while still in school.
    Wish you luck on your decision!

5. pumpkins90

pumpkins90 Member

sorry about the misspellings in my previous post, its almost 4 in the morning.

6. Ambasol

Ambasol Junior Member

A couple of people that I work with lived in Boston and said that they absolutely loved it, but that with horrible traffic (ie. the big dig) and everything being so expensive, there were lots of things to make the city miserable. One friend was especially sad that there were so many cool things going on in the city but she couldn't afford to do most of them, and she is a nurse. go figure. But, if you don't plan on driving, and have a trust fund, then Boston is a great place to go to school.
    Good Luck!
    A.

7. sallycinnamon

sallycinnamon Member

hi KorgTuner,

i applied to BU as my backup bc of things i heard neg things about it from my friend, who's 3D there. she absolutely hates BU...she told me that they didnt have a transcribing service when she first got there. the school automatically charge you 1500$/semester for a CD-rom, which is for you classes, and books. so basically, you cant buy used books from other students. she's now a 3rd yr, doing clinics. she had to go to stables to get her own business cards to recruit patients on the own. the students are constantly fighting for chairs! she said the APEX is a good program, but bc of it, they dont have enough time for their courses. meaning, the materials got crammed into a very short time peroid and students feel like they dont have time to breathe. and they dont have time off before the national board exams.
    boston is a great city. the T- (subway) is great. it can get you anywhere around boston, so having a car in the city is not necessary.however, the bad thing about the T is that the Red-line always has problems!!! every freaking day, esp in the winter. on a normal day, it takes me about 35 min comm to work, and on the days that the redline refuses to operate properly, it can take up to 1.5 hour! also, BU medical campus is not located in the safe part of the city. also, the T doesnt go there, only buses do.
    pumpkins90 is right about the need for dental hygienists.
    both my fiance and i love this city. it's just the right size and it's beautiful, esp beacon hill..maybe one day, when i've pulled enough teeth and earned enough money, i'll get to live there :)
    anyway, you wanted the bad things about BU and that's all i have heard, i hope that helps :) good luck with your decision!

- sallyc!

8. PashaJ

PashaJ Senior Member

Those people who I have met that liked Boston loved San Francisco!

9. gryffindor

Dentist

Dentist
    Hey KorgTurner,

Maybe I can help you out with this one. Exactly the same situation as you described (family nearby, saving $$$, know I'm a good match for the dental school, etc) except substitue Buffalo for Philly. I spent my summer before dental school in Boston and am also INFATUATED with the city.

I was so sad to leave because I was commited to be in Buffalo for the next four years for dental school and there was no way I could be in Boston again till post-grad. Buffalo is an absolute gray town for me who, like yourself, would much rather be in Boston or Philly. There aren't enough words to explain how much I dislike Buffalo (Buffalo the city, not the dental school. I love the dental school).

But it's actually worked out pretty well. My family (mom, dad, bro) lives in Buffalo, and they have been extremely helpful to have nearby in dental school. Food and laundry, enough said. Actually, one time during second year I was so swamped, my parents came to my apartment and made me dinner. And I've met lots of cool friends in dental school and love the dental school experience I'm having. Not to mention all the $$$ I'm saving by attending my state school rather than the privates in Boston. So except for the drab, cold, dying city of Buffalo, everything else about attending dental school here has been great. And I think in your case, since you actually like Philly and Temple, you should save your money and go to Temple. That $$$ will come in handy when you try to buy a practice after dental school. It's not worth it to blow it just because you want to live in Boston when you've obviously realized Temple will give you as good an education and you will be happy at Temple.

Here's what I say to myself when I get those "I miss Boston" moments. "I'm definitely applying to residencies out there. And when I get in to one of those, they're going to be paying me to do my training and live in Boston!" You can always do your GPR/AEGD there. Or work there since Pennsylvania and Massachusetts are both NERB states. When you pass the NERB exam in Philly, you can work in any of the 15 NERB states, and Mass. is one of them.

If it makes you feel better, here's what I know about "why BU sucks." Although they have the $1500/year DVD curriculum, I believe it is still optional there and you can purchase textbooks from the school instead. But, more importantly, Medicaid in Massachusetts SUCKS. Their governor basically got rid of almost all dental coverage last year. It has been a big problem for the Boston dental schools since many of their patients were Medicaid. BU did implement some community programs to counteract the patients they lost when this change occurred.. But if Temple has patients knocking on the door and a waitlist to get into the school, the clinical experience will probably be better there.

Good luck with your decision! Boston is awesome, but save it for when you'll get paid for being there. Go with your gut reaction for Philly/Temple for this one.

10. NdnDntst1

NdnDntst1 Junior Member

I got an interview on April 14th, and my DAT Average is 17, and I read where somebody said that they dont accept anybody under 19, so should I even bother giong to the interview in april and pay the secondary application fee???????

Anybody????????

Thanx

11. xc1999

xc1999 Senior Member

Dentist
    Ndndntst:

I say go ahead and go for the interview.....is your academic average a 17? How is your PAT?

12. NdnDntst1

NdnDntst1 Junior Member

My PAT is 16, Bio 19, Read. comp. 19, Quant 15, Gen and Orgo chem 16, so Science is 17.
    Also I have a Associates of Science in Dental Laboratory Technology Degree from LSU Dental School, and over 3 years of experience as a dental ceramist and denture technician at a commercial lab, and 3 months exp. as a dental assistant... So I guess I should give it a shot right????

THanx in advance...
    Please Reply

13. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member

NdnDntst1,
    I PM"d you.