Why can't I get A's in my BCPM classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timothyiv

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took 7 BCPM classes in my freshman year. 6 B's, 1 C... sGPA is 2.8
Overal GPA is 3.4, meaning my non science GPA is 4.0.

I don't know why it happens and it's really bugging me. I study the most for all these classes, yet cannot make the grades.

I really need advice, as I'm going to be taking Orgo, Biochem, Chem Lab, etc. next year. I need to start acing these science classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you studying efficiently? Making the best use of your time and resources?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Figure out what studying method works for you and use that.

Members don't see this ad :)
(freshman question) There are different studying methods? How/what do you do to determine if it works?

To pad your science GPA take ecology and astronomy and even a basic stats class

Med school admissions is a numbers game no matter how many people want to say its "holistic."
My advice is that you learn how you should memorize. Some people like flashcards(I do not). I prefer just taking professor's lecture slides and then explaining important concepts to myself on only the important slides. In my experience, many slides are extraneous. Learn to cut out slides that are have no important information on them such as percentages about how often something happens or when a professor talks about the history of discovering something related to the lecture. Forgive me for assuming your professors use powerpoints slides to give lectures, I just think many of them do.

Memorization isn't how you should approach science. Granted there are facts you need to know (you must learn the language to use it), science (like all subjects) should be approached analytically and critically.

Learn to study, it's still early (my sGPA is 2.8 too) and take Stats, Astronomy, and get credit for research if you can.

You are not understanding the concept. That's what separates an A student from a B student.

Know the areas that are keeping your grades down. Are they from exams? Lab reports? Homework? Figure them out for each subject.
What I suggest you do starting next semester is start calculating what you need to get on each exam to get an A. Your prof. should include grading policies on the syllabus. DO NOT even think about utilizing grade drops, replacement, or extra credit policies. Whenever studying for an exam or anything, always think "I'm going to get a 100" and not "I need a 93" or something around those lines. If you're not good at eliminating careless mistakes, this will become very important. Also always keep track of your grade throughout the semester. Find out what's working and not working for you, balance is important.
Also, asking "why" questions are more important than "what" questions when you're studying.

It could be that you are taking too many sciences classes at once. The biggest thing is being able to apply what you learn. Practice problems are the key to succeeding. Go to TA office hours and see if they have more practice/old exams that you can work with.

Med school admissions is a numbers game no matter how many people want to say its "holistic."
My advice is that you learn how you should memorize. Some people like flashcards(I do not). I prefer just taking professor's lecture slides and then explaining important concepts to myself on only the important slides. In my experience, many slides are extraneous. Learn to cut out slides that are have no important information on them such as percentages about how often something happens or when a professor talks about the history of discovering something related to the lecture. Forgive me for assuming your professors use powerpoints slides to give lectures, I just think many of them do.

Wait...if med school admissions is a numbers game, does it mean it's like this for residency apps too? Shouldn't people from all over the world with 260+ USMLE scores get into top residency programs?

What,everyone i know who got in does this. People say its not a numbers game but in reality it is to a certain extent.

They can see what classes you took, you know. They'll probably know if you're taking these classes just to pad your GPA unless you express a deep and abiding passion for standard deviations and sunspots. A meaningful increase in BCPM would be getting good grades in upper level science courses, particularly bio courses.

They can see what classes you took, you know. They'll probably know if you're taking these classes just to pad your GPA unless you express a deep and abiding passion for standard deviations and sunspots. A meaningful increase in BCPM would be getting good grades in upper level science courses, particularly bio courses.
True however a higher gpa is always better than a lower one regardless of classes and all other things constant

Why are people saying take astronomy and stats? Are they easy classes that can boost your GPA?

One of my classes was actually an "easy" BCPM. My mindset just hasn't been correct and I really need to get it together. I guess it comes with a sense of urgency?