Why dentistry over medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nichtmeinbier

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. why dentistry over medicine?

2. what kind of gpa do you need to get into pitt?

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

1. Use the search function. Topic has been discussed extensively

2. Pitt medical or dental? For dental school, go to www.predents.com. Overall GPA, I think around 3.6 is average.

www.predents.com an excellent resource.

As for why dentistry - that is pretty much what you will be writing in your personal statement on AADSAS. Good luck. I suggest you don't start with any idea sounding like - "I don't want to be in school for four more years only to follow up with a multiple year residency."

Members don't see this ad :)
mobile_troll.jpg

Dont feed them.

Thus far, what proof is there that the OP is a troll? Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions.

- shorter working week (more time for family)
- can own a private practice (greater autonomy)
- no residency (you can start making money faster upon graduation, and pay off those pesky loans)

That's a start... someone else can finish it.

go to their web site and figure that out.

In the end, both are great fields with their own pros and cons. I would suggest shadowing both a physician and a dentist... don't just rush into a field based off what some random people say on an internet forum.

bcuz all cool kids go to D-school :cool:

Thus far, what proof is there that the OP is a troll? Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions.

Fair enough. to the OP, please do a search.

Thanks to those of you who actually answered me seriously...I've shadowed dentists and physicians but I still am having a hard time. The biggest pro for dent is the time...but it just seems so much less interesting than medicine. Thanks for all the help guys :thumbup:

I'm always curious when ppl post should i do this or that. For something as big as your future profession and something you will be doing for the next 40 or so years why would you want the opinions of complete strangers on an internet forum? It seems to me its something you and only you should decide and not worry about other ppls opinions. Just my .02

anonymous opions are free of prejudices.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your instate, you'll have a harder time getting into pitt dental.

If you went to pitt for undergrad, you'll have an even harder time at getting in.
I know you asked about GPA, but I thought this could be helpful, since I choose to go to a different college for this reason.

Thanks to those of you who actually answered me seriously...I've shadowed dentists and physicians but I still am having a hard time. The biggest pro for dent is the time...but it just seems so much less interesting than medicine. Thanks for all the help guys :thumbup:

You should shadow some specialties of dentistry. There is quite a bit of variability in dentistry, and a general dentist can practice what they want, as long as they are comfortable with it. Perhaps the dentist you shadowed was only doing "boring" things because that is what he/she wanted to practice.

Not to flame medicine or anything, but from my personal experience I'd much rather be a general dentist working with my hands all day then a family doc/internist/ped's doc. Most of the primary care providers run from patient to patient writing scripts for antibiotics all day, that kinda seems boring to me. Now some surgical specialties of medicine are kinda cool, but require you to bust your butt in med school, then do 5+ years of residency! Dentistry requires 4 years of school then you can practice right away if you want.

However like others said, its up to you and what you really think is interesting. Pick what you like and enjoy it because you will be doing it for 30+ years.

They're also commonly free of maturity, common courtesy, professionalism, intelligence, tact, subject knowledge, credibility...

hey bill, are u saying that this site is useless.

After you have done significant research, if you are still unsure, your best bet would be medicine. My reasoning is because dentistry primarily focuses on one area. Medicine, on the other hand, has a greater variety of specialties... you're bound to find one of them interesting. :idea:

Perhaps you should head over to www.dentaltown.com, and ask some practicing dentsits their opinions.

Dentistry is BETTER because..... You will NEVER be on-call, you get paid more (compare # of hours worked and amount of $, dentistry is usually more especially costmetic dentistry...), the FREE TIME, if you are on-call all the time you will not have a life, don't have to worry about getting SUE all the time, you are NOT require to take medicare, NOT require to take insurance, less over head cost, can open your own practice and therefore plan your own schedule, can practice right after you finish if you desire too...

NEED anymore reasons???

dentists think they are doctors
doctors dont think they are dentists
if u want both professions then become a dentist

thanks for all the great points guys...a lot of what i thought... just trying to get a feel for an idea of how much im being realistic about this whole thing... :thumbup:

i like the dentists think they are doctors, doctors dont think they are dentists idea...i guess i just haven't ever thought of it that way...:D

You should shadow some specialties of dentistry. There is quite a bit of variability in dentistry, and a general dentist can practice what they want, as long as they are comfortable with it. Perhaps the dentist you shadowed was only doing "boring" things because that is what he/she wanted to practice.

Not to flame medicine or anything, but from my personal experience I'd much rather be a general dentist working with my hands all day then a family doc/internist/ped's doc. Most of the primary care providers run from patient to patient writing scripts for antibiotics all day, that kinda seems boring to me. Now some surgical specialties of medicine are kinda cool, but require you to bust your butt in med school, then do 5+ years of residency! Dentistry requires 4 years of school then you can practice right away if you want.

However like others said, its up to you and what you really think is interesting. Pick what you like and enjoy it because you will be doing it for 30+ years.

BTW this is awesome advice....THANKS!

Out of all the Dental schools, why pitt?
BTW my gpa was a 3.7 with a chemistry major and I got in, although i doubt theres a formula or I would have got an interview from every school i applied.

Dentistry is BETTER because..... You will NEVER be on-call, you get paid more (compare # of hours worked and amount of $, dentistry is usually more especially costmetic dentistry...), the FREE TIME, if you are on-call all the time you will not have a life, don't have to worry about getting SUE all the time, you are NOT require to take medicare, NOT require to take insurance, less over head cost, can open your own practice and therefore plan your own schedule, can practice right after you finish if you desire too...

NEED anymore reasons???

plus dentists are sexier!

i rather spend more time with my family than with my patients.....

I understand this is a tuff decision, but i don't think it is best you go on a open forum and ask a bunch of strangers that are going to sway you one way or another. I want to practice dentistry because that's what i want to do. There are ups and downs, but i'm willing to sacrifice in order to pursue my dream. If being a doctor is your passion, ya you'll be on call, ya your hours suck but if that's truly your passion it really shouldn't matter when it all comes down to it. If i were to listen to what everyone told me about every profession i considered in my life i'd be a bum in the street somewhere, people always got something bad to say about everything, no matter how good it may seem!!You have to look inside yourself and find out for yourself what you want to do for the rest of your life and stop asking other people to make the decision for you!!!! :cool:

u have to love to deal with 32 organs- each organ is unique in their special place.
each organ has a specific function and is sculpturally beautiful.