Why Derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Latency

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is derm such a popular and sought after residency? I am assuming its the hours... but is the pay that good too?

Members don't see this ad.

Latency said:
Why is derm such a popular and sought after residency? I am assuming its the hours... but is that pay that good too?

My understanding is that not only is the pay at the high end of the spectrum, but that the hours are great. You have patients who rarely are imminently dying so you will have more leeway in setting up a schedule once you are in practice. (Thus tends to be a popular field with people wanting to divide time between medicine and family). And lots of repeat customers, as many people have lifelong bouts with psoriasis and other skin problems.

i think avg sal for derms is around 220-250(theres a link someone posted that lists this info) that coupled with the hours, and also nowadays the increased popularity in cosmetic derm, botox, chemical facial deals, you have the potential to make some really nice bank without having to take call, work on the weekends or past 5 o clock

Members don't see this ad :)
Latency said:
Why is derm such a popular and sought after residency? I am assuming its the hours... but is the pay that good too?
The ultimate lifestyle specialty.

Latency said:

i can't figure this one out-- you coudn't pay me enough to have to look at people's boring, nasty psoriasis all day.

YzIa said:
The ultimate lifestyle specialty.

Except Seinfeld makes fun of you by calling you "Pimple Popper, MD"

Which is better than Assman, I guess.

juniper456 said:
i can't figure this one out-- you coudn't pay me enough to have to look at people's boring, nasty psoriasis all day.
Well ya know... there is a lot of repetition and diseases much nastier than psoriasis in most areas of medicine. I can't say I'd want to do derm either, but medicine isn't for people that shy away from the "nasty" in my humble opinion.

See, that's one of the great things about medicine: if you think derm is boring (I happen to agree), there are plenty of other specialties out there for you. Anybody with a basic interest in medicine can probably find a specialty (or lack thereof!) that suits him/her, and that's one reason I think medicine is a really awesome profession.

Really, the better question is: WHY does derm pay so well? Just because it's more cosmetic than life-saving (for the most part), so you can make people pay more? I guess cosmetic dentistry pays better than general dentistry, too...

tigress said:
Really, the better question is: WHY does derm pay so well? Just because it's more cosmetic than life-saving (for the most part), so you can make people pay more? I guess cosmetic dentistry pays better than general dentistry, too...

I think that's probably just it. Elective = cash. You get paid what you ask and you always get paid for your services. Combine that with low malpractice and repeat customers and you've got a solid moneymaker.

juniper456 said:

well no matter what specialty you are in, you are always going to see a whole lot of certain common conditions or diseases, theres gonna be repetition all around.

Derm obviously has great hours. No midnight emergencies. But, I think that there are a lot of out-of-pocket procedures that relieve the medical insurance headaches.

it's because most of your patients are rich, hot women who let you see their boobies

Members don't see this ad :)
thats plastic surgeons

As a dermatologist, all your patients are rich, they never die and they never get better.

Anybody take a business class? It all comes down to supply and demand. The dermatologists have been clever enough to limit their own numbers thus making themselves very lucrative.

It's kind of funny that only the most elite of people can even get a dermatology residency, but you dont' really have to be that smart to be a dermatologist. I think it is still the most competitive residency.

Because your PA can do all of your work and procedures as you sip champagne in your yacht.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ol'DocToxic said:
As a dermatologist, all your patients are rich, they never die and they never get better.

Skin cancer?

Ol'DocToxic said:
I'm sure that the pay is good, but, actually, a lot of dermatologists find it emotionally rewarding. (I'm not being sarcastic.) Skin diseases, unlike AIDS or cancer, are so obvious and, usually, kind of gross-looking, so people suffering from dermatological disorders are incredibly miserable and depressed. For example, people with severe psoriasis have trouble getting jobs, finding girl/boyfriends, and don't like to go out in public. They sometimes become recluses, and suffer from terrible depression or even commit suicide. AIDS patients sometimes have rare skin disorders, and they're more upset about their skin than the fact that they have AIDS. If they have normal skin then at least they can blend into society. Sure, there are lot of people who go to dermatologists for relatively trivial reasons, but I was surprised at what else dermatologists do.

A lot of dermatologists also do research on skin cancer or connective tissue disorders, so there's a surprising number of options in derm.

So, no, as a dermatologist, not all of your patients are rich, some die, and often you'd like to see them get better.

dmk724 said:
I'm sure that the pay is good, but, actually, a lot of dermatologists find it emotionally rewarding. (I'm not being sarcastic.) Skin diseases, unlike AIDS or cancer, are so obvious and, usually, kind of gross-looking, so people suffering from dermatological disorders are incredibly miserable and depressed. For example, people with severe psoriasis have trouble getting jobs, finding girl/boyfriends, and don't like to go out in public. They sometimes become recluses, and suffer from terrible depression or even commit suicide. AIDS patients sometimes have rare skin disorders, and they're more upset about their skin than the fact that they have AIDS. If they have normal skin then at least they can blend into society. Sure, there are lot of people who go to dermatologists for relatively trivial reasons, but I was surprised at what else dermatologists do.

A lot of dermatologists also do research on skin cancer or connective tissue disorders, so there's a surprising number of options in derm.

So, no, as a dermatologist, not all of your patients are rich, some die, and often you'd like to see them get better.

I had severe (and painful) acne until I went and saw my dermatologist. After clearing up my skin I really felt more confident and started feeling a whole lot better about myself. Granted I had to go on accutane and was nearly suicidal when I was on it, but after it was over I couldn't thank my dermatologist enough. Sounds like an infomercial I know, but I think dermatologists do extremely important work since humans are naturally inclined to judge a person based on their appearance. Life's never been better, the clear skin probably helped on my interviews too.

Why is dermatology so incredibly competitive?

1. The lifestyle is excellent. Most dermatologists in private practice work 9-4 PM, 4 days/wk. They rarely, if ever, have any emergencies. Call is almost nonexistent in the field.

2. The compensation is excellent. The average dermatologist in private practice can net well over $300,000 per year. Dermatologists with Mohs training can make close to a million dollars a year.

3. The demand for dermatologists is very high throughout the country. The job market is wide open, especially for graduates of respected residency programs.

4. Dermatology residency programs are very benign in general.

I'm basically a douche but what is mohs training and why can't i make it ring a bell

Hours are really important for those people who want to have LIVES!!! If you can successfully balance work and family....you're a very lucky person.

dmk724 said:

All good points.

Didn't everyone see that Seinfeld episode? Man, that "Pimple Popper" comment came back to bite Jerry in the a$$.

"SKIN CANCER!"