1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

why did i almost faint during surgery

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by vet_wanna_be, Dec 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vet_wanna_be

vet_wanna_be Junior Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Ive wanted to becom a veterinarian ever since I was in high school. But last week I attended my first surgery where we spayed and nutered two dogs and not three minutes into it I started having 'pre-syncopal' symtoms and had to leave four times during the procedure. This is devestating to my career, and I dont want to give up, is there anything to stop this from happening? I've never been woozy or grossed out by blood or guts it just happened. :confused:

P.S. I know most of you are going to be MDs not DVMs but I didn't know where else to post this :thumbup:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MattD

MattD Curmudgeon
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's common for a lot of people to experience incidents like that the first few times they view an operation. When you think about it, you're really viewing a very violent act, even though it's being done for good reasons, and that can be pretty traumatic to see. That may not be the scientific reason it happens, but it makes sense. Anyway, lots of people have that problem, most of them get over it with repeated exposure. It's called desensitization. Just keep watching operations and you'll probably get over it. :)

4. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
  5. ultimateend

ultimateend fear is the mind killer.
    7+ Year Member

I worked in the OR's for the whole summer last year and I fainted once. Seeing the surgeries was totally fine, it was just that it was an ortho case and I had to wear the hood and with those huge lights, you can easily get overheated and disoriented. The doctor caught me as he was trying to stick in an epidural and I remember the patient asking if I was ok when they were dragging me outside. I guess it's "common knowledge" that you have to eat before going into surgeries, so they sent me down to the cafeteria. 30 minutes later I was watching a doctor take out a prostate and I never collapsed again.

6. EvoDevo

EvoDevo Forging a Different Path
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    duplicate thread. closing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.