why did rainbow babies only match 10/24?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhdousa

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm a 3rd year student hoping to match in peds.
I was just curious why Rainbow Babies (Case
Western) only matched 10 out 24 spots (according
to the scutwork.com unfilled programs list) because, as far as I've been told by my attendings, this program is very reputable in academic peds.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks!
-M

Members don't see this ad.

the stats on scutwork are notoriously incorrect... I don't know that this is the case for this particular program, but it seems likely

*****The below was edited after other posts*****
I was passing along info that I had heard on this forum, in actuality I don't know anything about the validity of those stats so trust Kimberly and the others who posted below.

Looking at the unmatched programs, I got 10/24 for University Hospitals of Cleveland for Pediatrics. This is from NRMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by mhdousa:
•Hey all,
I'm a 3rd year student hoping to match in peds.
I was just curious why Rainbow Babies (Case
Western) only matched 10 out 24 spots (according
to the scutwork.com unfilled programs list) because, as far as I've been told by my attendings, this program is very reputable in academic peds.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks!
-M•••••Hi there,

The stats put out even on the unfilled list only reflect those positions that were filled through the Match. Sometimes a great program will fill the rest of their slots during the Scramble even though it shows that they have openings. Some programs choose not to fill all of their alloted slots. The way the Match computer works is still somewhat shady. I know that programs can make deals and still participate in the Match.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by coop:
•the stats on scutwork are notoriously incorrect... I don't know that this is the case for this particular program, but it seems likely•••••Those stats are downloaded directly from the NRMP site. Any inaccuracies are from the NRMP not Scutwork.

regarding the NRMP data: spots filled outside of the match are not offered through the match at all, and thus are not reflected in the total number of slots offered. This is why some programs at community hospitals may appear to have only three internal medicine slots, whereas in reality they take fifteen. The NRMP data is 100% accurate-they are the guys that decide who matches to where. Program directors have it in their best interest to tell you otherwise if their institutions did not fill. The vast majority of the unfilled slots fill during the scramble.

okay, so going back to the original question:
does anyone who is familiar with the situation
at case western know why only 10/24 spots filled
through the match?

-M

First of all if NRMP says that program filled only 10/24 then it is 100% true.

The only mistake made here sounds like that of the program!!

For a program to not fill is pretty embarrasing and especially by that much. Considering it is such a good peds. hospital maybe the program had a short rank list and had the opinion of either we fill with the people we want or we just leave the rest open.

OR they just made they mistake of not ranking enough canidates.

There are endless reason why they might not have matched 100%. These are just some possibilities. The only way to really know is ask the PD of the program what happened.

like they would tell you.

The reason why is that the PD and powers in charge seriously overestimated their program's competitiveness when drafting their rank list of candidates interviewed. A program not filling is no different from an applicant not matching. Both situations happen when one does not accurately appreciate their "desirability".

let me add, that a program having such poor match results should cause future applicants to seriously question what is going on at that program (ie. quality).

I think PEDS and other Primary Care spots are wide open this year b/c the it's hard to pay back a $200,000+ loan making 98K a year in the 50% tax break.

That's why I dropped out of PEDS and plan to do PEDS Anesthesia.

Perhaps You have rich parents.....

I have to totally agree with the analogy of how this could happen being the same way an applicant doesn't get matched.

I also agree that u should look to see if they didn't match because of any problems in the program, but warn not to stop looking at a program just because the didn't match. Now if they CLASSICALY don't match that is another story.

p.s. When I said the only way to know for sure is to ask the P.D. I meant that sarcastically. Of course, he would never tell u the truth proving there is NO way to know the truth UNLESS u know somebody personally in the program who could give u the REAL scoop.

Good luck.

Well, the word here at Case is that the residents got together and told applicants not to come to the program. After doing my rotation at RB&C it was readily apparent that there is a lot of dissatisfaction with the program and a lot of burn-out. I'm not a pediatrics oriented person but there's no way I would choose RB&C if I was looking for a residency in peds.

ahhh...finally, a legitimate and specific
answer to my question. thanks for the info,
snoopy!

-M

The program did not fill. A friend of mine did not match in ortho, and took a spot in their peds proram for this year....

I agree with the previous 2 posts - I had a very negative experience on my interview and quickly/easily deciphered the residents were complaining a lot, not very enthusiastic and seemed to sort of "bean count" their days off and time away from the hospital. It came off like they hated being there and were counting down the time until they could get away.

Also intern classes each have their own personality just like a program does. It is also possible their class did not recruit very well in their interview dinners etc. If it is a program you were very seriously considering definitely still interview there but I would be very blunt with your questions about these concerns.

Wow, someone's been thinking about that 2002 interview for a LONG time...haha ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.