Why did you apply here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NikoNLS8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am refering to the awesome question of "why did you apply to this medical school" found in many of the secondaries. I dont really know what to write, can anyone give suggestion? exactly what do you talk about, their program? i know this has already been discussed, if someone can send me the link that that discussion, that would be cool too.

Members don't see this ad.

Talk about something you like about the program or school; also, if you have ties to the area, that's something you could mention.

NikoNLS8 said:
i am refering to the awesome question of "why did you apply to this medical school" found in many of the secondaries. I dont really know what to write, can anyone give suggestion? exactly what do you talk about, their program? i know this has already been discussed, if someone can send me the link that that discussion, that would be cool too.

why dont you send me those secondaries of yours and ill write the whole essay for you... :sleep:

email me at [email protected] :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
NikoNLS8 said:

I look at their website and find something I like about the curriculum or location. Then relate that factor to some experience I have had just to make it somewhat interesting and credible (imagine reading 5000 essays all talking about PBL?).

laurenem said:
I look at their website and find something I like about the curriculum or location. Then relate that factor to some experience I have had just to make it somewhat interesting and credible (imagine reading 5000 essays all talking about PBL?).

Yes. Excellent. This is also what I do as well.

For the record, I'd like to state that I personally find use of the word "******" distasteful. Any other swear word is fine, I just really dislike "******."

jackieMD2007 said:
Yes. Excellent. This is also what I do as well.

For the record, I'd like to state that I personally find use of the word "******" distasteful. Any other swear word is fine, I just really dislike "******."

Ditto to both of Jackie's comments. Read their website and the MSAR and then relate a few things back to yourself.

Also, using "******" p.o.'s me. My son's a "******" so it really f-ing bothers me, a-hole. But I'm still in love with Dr. E. :sleep:

jackieMD2007 said:

Thanks Jackie, I agree with this and IMO Dr. E gets away with too many insulting comments like this one.

For how to answer "Why did you apply here?", I just tell the truth:

I am applying to Saint Hail Mary Medical School because I have looked in the MSAR and have noted that your average MCAT score and GPA are slightly below my own. Therefore, I feel that the $100 I am sending is not being totally pi$$ed away like it was when I included Harvard. Also, your school is located in a city that is unrepulsive and I won't be reduced to drinking in bars with overhead announcements when tables are ready and waitpersons with suspenders with buttons on them.

NikoNLS8 said:
ok i emailed you, you can respond at [email protected]

why would i want to suck the letter "c" ..some people arent too bright....i hope you are applying to the same schools i am.....it will give me a better chance.... :sleep:

Hehehehehhehehehehe You Are A Geek Heheheheh

laurenem said:

I would stay away from location. No school wants to be selected because they happen to be convenient, or that NYC is cool so you wouldn't mind going to school there. And schools within a particular city each feel they bring something unique to the table. Focus on stuff like what's in the mission statement, what specialties or research the school is known for, whether there are unique components of the school's curricula. Actually PBL would not be a wrong answer if that school was making a big effort to incorporate it, but certainly will get overdone.

Law2Doc said:
I would stay away from location. No school wants to be selected because they happen to be convenient, or that NYC is cool so you wouldn't mind going to school there. And schools within a particular city each feel they bring something unique to the table. Focus on stuff like what's in the mission statement, what specialties or research the school is known for, whether there are unique components of the school's curricula. Actually PBL would not be a wrong answer if that school was making a big effort to incorporate it, but certainly will get overdone.

I totally was not bashing writing about pbl, I was just pointing out that you need to incorporate something into your own life to explain why you want to be in a pbl program.
Regarding the location, for example, I think if a school is rural and you're interested in rural medicine (or the reverse), that is a valid thing to write about especially if they discuss rural medicine and "dedication to providing medicine to local towns" which many schools do. Thats just an example, but lots of schools are proud of their location and 1. what the location can provide to their students 2. what the school can provide to the community

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should definitely roll with location if that's something that is important to you. Medical schools are looking for happy medical students. If you have reason to beleive that you will be happy in that location, that is only going to be positive.

For instance, I know that some of the NYC schools can be worried about people who have never been or lived in NYC coming out here from other places and then hating it. Likewise, some schools in rural areas might be afraid that big city folks will hate it in the small towns.

So if you've got a reason, sell it.

laurenem said:
I totally was not bashing writing about pbl, I was just pointing out that you need to incorporate something into your own life to explain why you want to be in a pbl program.
Regarding the location, for example, I think if a school is rural and you're interested in rural medicine (or the reverse), that is a valid thing to write about especially if they discuss rural medicine and "dedication to providing medicine to local towns" which many schools do. Thats just an example, but lots of schools are proud of their location and 1. what the location can provide to their students 2. what the school can provide to the community

What is PBL?

DR. EUGENIC said:
why dont you send me those secondaries of yours and ill write the whole essay for you... :sleep:

email me at [email protected] :sleep:

There really is no need for these kinds of comments. I really don't understand people like you who just peruse SDN criticize people and spread your negativity. It is simply uncalled for…get your giggles somewhere else.

When asked the question "Why did you apply here?", "Why are you interested in attending this school?", or something along those lines, it would be cool if someone responded with this short, concise and (hopefully) witty answer that really says it all:

"Why not?"

-pedagogical style, contrasted with your undergraduate experience
-facilities or research / clinical strengths of that institution, even specific labs or departments (particularly important for MSTP)
-ways in which intellectual "mission" of school harmonizes with personal philosophy
-geographical / family ties to area

defrunner said:
When asked the question "Why did you apply here?", "Why are you interested in attending this school?", or something along those lines, it would be cool if someone responded with this short, concise and (hopefully) witty answer that really says it all:

"Why not?"

Unfortunately the adcom member asking the question is not going to consider that response to be either cool or witty. Know your audience. :)

Law2Doc said:
Unfortunately the adcom member asking the question is not going to consider that response to be either cool or witty. Know your audience. :)

hahaha :laugh:

Haha, good point. I'm sure that I wasn't the only one who thought of that anyway. Oh, well.

I think the question is to ensure that you aren't just applying to their school without fully knowing what they have to offer including things outside of the institution itself. I would think a decent answer would discuss curriculum, student life (most medical school websites discuss this), organizations they have that you may be interested in joining, culture of the city, diversity of the institution, aspects of the mission statement that appeals to you.....basically anything that lets them see that you have researched their institution and feel its a good "fit" for you as a prospective student.....and I'm sure a little brown-nosing wouldn't hurt either :) ...just my $0.02. Good Luck

I usually try to find one thing that really interests me about the school, and write about that. I feel like if I try to say the curriculum, facilites, location, family ties, etc. all in the same thing it jumps around too much and feels like i"m just throwing a bunch of stuff out there. So I go on the website, read the mission statement, read about the facilities and try to find something unique to write about.

hateroftheyear said:
-pedagogical style, contrasted with your undergraduate experience
-facilities or research / clinical strengths of that institution, even specific labs or departments (particularly important for MSTP)
-ways in which intellectual "mission" of school harmonizes with personal philosophy
-geographical / family ties to area

Ditto. Fantastic advice!

Law2Doc said:
I would stay away from location.
I agree that listing wanting to party in LA for four years is a bad one to bring up on a USC secondary. But I think a reference to geography can sometimes be a good idea, especially applying as an OOS student.

If you're applying as an OOS student to certain schools, stressing your interest in the region can be an asset if the takeaway is that the school feels you're legitimately interested in eventually practicing medicine there.