Why did you apply to your vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azarael

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all.

I'm new to these forums, so first of all, it's nice to meet everyone. I've looked around a bit, and I really like some of the advice and info that has been posted on these threads. I also want to apologize if this question has been asked before.

I just had a question for anyone applying to vet schools. I'm at that point in my life where I'm about to graduate from a pretty well-known undergraduate university and am starting to consider veterinary schools to apply to. There are 28 schools (I think...?) in the US, and I just wanted to know where you will be applying, and more specifically, why did you apply there?

I know that for most of us, our in-state or regional universities are a given, so I'm not asking about them. At least not in the sense that you are applying there simply because they are cheaper and close to home. I'm not really interested in the college that you have the "best chances" of getting in to.

I want to know what exactly is it that attracts you to a veterinary school, besides finances or academic statistics. For example, I'll be applying to Oregon State because I hear Oregon is an amazing place to be.
I'll also be applying to Cornell University because I really admire their academic curriculum, and I think it's superior to the traditional credit/course based system present in most universities in the States.
I want to apply to University of Florida as well, because I currently work with a vet who graduated from there and she says a lot of great things about that school (most of which I can't remember... but the place is still esteemed in the back of my head) and it's funny how a role-model's commitment to a school can pass on to yourself.

Sorry if my question is kind of confusing, I tried to describe it as best as I could. I just want to hear your opinions. Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I know you said that you aren't interested in hearing about anyone's "best chance" school, but that really has a lot to do with, well, everything. Consider this: Davis accepts something like 3 OOS students. Georgia accepts more like 1 OOS (non-contract) student. So, no matter how awesome their program is, it may be a waste of time and money to apply there unless you are a spectacular applicant.

Also, graduates of Oklahoma State will tell you that it's an AWESOME PLACE. Graduates of Texas A&M will say that it's the BEST VET SCHOOL HANDS DOWN. Most everyone is going to think that their alma-mater is the best of the best... that's just how it is. So, it's fine to listen to people telling you about their school, but make sure you listen objectively and look for things that match what you are interested in.

If you like Cornell's teaching system, you might look into Western and other schools that offer a mix of PBL with traditional lectures (or only PBL, as is Western's case). Or, you could look at schools based on your possible interests (large animal, zoo animal, shelter medicine, etc.) and select ones that have strong programs in those areas.

Lastly... the difference between my IS and OOS tuitions would be about $60k and 190k, respectively (YMMV). That is a BIG factor, no matter how much money and/or debt I have to start with.

Sorry if I've hashed over points you've thought of already, but I just wanted to make sure you've looked at things from all angles. :) I'll post a link for where people are applying and why, and another for what schools are known for. Those might help you out some, too.

ETA: Here are the links. Took a bit longer than usual because I'm also debating about getting an iPhone... lol.

This one has people listing here they're applying and why, so you can see how other people are narrowing it down:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=607430

And these are about "what schools are known for," but keep in mind that it's opinionated subject, so you should do your own research as well. :)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=473690
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=608879

Last edited:
I am applying to Ohio State, Oklahoma State, and Western. I chose these because they are about an hour from where my husband can work and I have a decent chance of getting into. Another reason for Oklahoma is because my parents are about two hours away. Each school is also in an area I don't think I would mind living in for 4 years. I also have all the prereqs for each of the schools except for animal nutrition--which I wanted a reason to take anyway. I am not applying to my current in-state school. The first two reasons I listed were the most important. The others just make me feel better about my picks!

Money is usually a huge reason for people choosing which school to attend. And I for one will not waste time and application fees if I don't have a decent chance of getting in. So most people use those two reasons for choosing a vet school.

By the way, I read an article listing the schools with the worst/most crime and UFlorida was in the top 10! UF is my in-state and that is why I am not applying there. UF may be a terrific school and I may be missing out. But it is all in who you talk to and what you hear/read.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't apply to Cornell because they rejected me for undergrad(hurt my feelings) and I ended a rival school for my 4 years of undergrad.

Didn't apply to Tufts(my instate) because of proximity to family(too close) and the annoyance of their separate application.

Applied to The Ohio State because its the best school out there.

• Money (taking into account lost wages)
  • Total time needed (5 years vs. 7-8 years)
  • AVMA accreditation
  • Adventure

The first two factors have to do with the curriculum at Massey, where you complete all necessary pre-requisites in a first, pre-selection semester, then take 4.5 more years to finish your vet degree. There may be some Australian and UK vet schools with a similar pathway.

Massey isnt expensive? Or did I just read that wrong?:eek:

I'm applying to schools based on three things 1) where my fiance can obtain the best post-doc position 2) schools that I feel have 'good' research that I can participate in and 3) schools that are in areas that we feel we can live in for 4 years...after spending 5 years going to school in Newark, NJ (one of the most dangerous cities in the US...I've seen multiple shootings, robberies and murders), we arent so willing to say 'well its just a few years, we can deal with it'.

i want to be able to walk outside of my building without fearing for my life. no exaggeration.

so based on those things I am applying to Cornell, Colorado State, Tufts, Upenn, NCSU, UFl, and UC-Davis. but we are hoping for either (my in state) Tufts (MIT for the fiance...he's already got an offer) or Cornell (the boy has also already been offered a postdoc). soooo :xf: .

I applied to the University of Missouri because I have a number of friends and loved ones who live in the area, I can gain residency and a resident's tuition fairly easily after living there for a year, they accept a large number of OOS students, the cost of living is relatively low, I loved the idea of only being in a classroom for a little over two years and then having two years of clinics, I needed an adventure, and it was far enough away from my family that I knew I'd get some peace there. If I had to do it all over again, I would definitely send them another application. I can't imagine heading off to anywhere else.

I applied to UF because it's my in state school... and not much else. It's a wonderful school and I have heard nothing but great remarks about it (well, minus the note on crime above lol), but I needed to get away. Assuming it was still my IS school in the event that I applied again, I would still put in an application, though.

I applied to Auburn because I very foolishly didn't realize just how few OOS students they take or that they wouldn't let you take the nutrition course over the summer at the campus like UF lets you (oops!), but also because it's in a climate and area that I'm accustomed to and not so close to the family that I would feel suffocated, while still being close enough that I could visit with relative ease. If I was heading to a second year of applications, I would not apply here again.

I applied to Illinois because it's also fairly close to a number of friends and loved ones, it offered me similar peace from the family, the program is sturdy (and even more exciting now with the new curriculum in place) and generally well reviewed, and it, too, promised an adventure. I would very likely apply here again, if I needed to.

I applied to Wisconsin because I realized I was running out of funds with which to interview, they don't do interviews, the program has been highly regarded, and it was my last chance to get in with what little money I had left. I'm not sure if I would apply here again, though lol. The weather scares me down to my Florida bones, but it sure as hell would have given me an adventure lol.

Massey isnt expensive? Or did I just read that wrong?:eek:

I'm not saying Massey isn't expensive, but for me, it was the cheapest route, taking into consideration wages lost during years of study -- since I still had to complete all the pre-requisites -- and also the relatively high tuition and steep tuition increases of my instate option. (Massey used to grandfather its tuition, so my tuition is actually cheaper now than when I started because of the exchange rate.)

Another consideration was that there was no guarantee I would get into my instate school on my first try, which might have lead to another year of low wage jobs and me generally treading water.