Why did you choose dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manzielin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find myself an undergrad senior, unsure of what to do with my biology degree. I've considered physical therapy, medical school, and PA school but I'm not sold on any of these options. I just started to consider dentistry as a possible option. I am a perfectionist, I love doing art projects and working with my hands. I cant say that I'm "itching" to be a dentist or passionate about teeth and whatnot, but I think I might like it as a job. Am I alone on this? Was my mindset similar to any current dental students?

Members don't see this ad.

Being artistic and loving to work with hands is great, but first of all you should not be sensitive to gross stuff like blood, snot, puss etc. Being outgoing and compassionate also helps, dentists work in a high stress environment - people are usually in pain and have to pay at the end of the appointment

Reactions: 2 users
Follow my college sweetheart to dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dentistry is a great job; you get to help people everyday in a way that is almost stress free (I completely disagree with Oralcare123 in that regard).

Reactions: 1 user
Dentistry is a great job; you get to help people everyday in a way that is almost stress free (I completely disagree with Oralcare123 in that regard).

Could you explain what dentistry is like for you on a daily basis, Dr.?

Those are the words to say to the adcoms, but they are only partially true.
You can help people in Walmart, but chose to be a dentist. And main reasons are income, convenience of working hours and ability to have your own busyness, be independent
I am glad that this job is stress free for you, may be not so much for everyone else
Wait for this horror patient:)

Those are the words to say to the adcoms, but they are only partially true.
You can help people in Walmart, but chose to be a dentist. And main reasons are income, convenience of working hours and ability to have your own busyness, be independent
I am glad that this job is stress free for you, may be not so much for everyone else
Wait for this horror patient:)
I certainly wouldn't say that to ADCOMS. Although I haven't thought about ADCOMS for 8 years.

Income is good, not great after loan repayments. Helping people in Walmart isn't the same sort of help to me. My previous work was as a research scientist. In that role I felt helpful to society - a primary motivator for me until I realized I was poorly paid with poor prospects and no job security.

Believe me, I'm not trying to win anyone here over with lies or promises.

I don't find my job stressful. The work is, let's be honest, quite repetitive, nearly always simple (finished in an hour or so, unlike a research project for 3-5 years), and has a reliable, reproducible outcome.

Working with patients is nearly always a pleasure. Some are difficult, but not many. Most show up. Nearly all pay without issue. The staff are generally helpful and friendly. What's not to like?

I refer molar endo as I find it stressful.

I've been out 3 years. I'm an associate. The biggest stress I had was being able to pay bills/loans for the first 1-2 yrs; it's better now, but just a good not a great income (entirely subjective).

In my experience anyone who tells you loans are not a big deal eventually reveals that they didn't have them. They seem to be people who graduate then buy/start a practice soon after (NOTE: In MY experience, this is not data).

I've noticed desperate people (loan repayments due) don't make good decisions. They take jobs that they ought to decline because they feel trapped. This is true for patients too (extraction or endo?).

Well, that's my life story. Let the criticisms and misinterpretations begin!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
You are funny. This is a place to express subjective opinions on a subject and not to figure out which is true and which is not. There is no need to write an essay, we accept your opinion.
From my experience, which is a lot bigger then yours, there is always a stress. For you it is to pay off your loans or at least make enough to make regular payments. For a busyness owner to produce enough to keep busyness profitable, which involves many smaller stresses, like finding patients and reliable employees etc.
People have different levels of sensitivity to stress, I admit, but dentistry is not a stress free or no stress job at all

I realize I'm not a business owner (yet) and that that is a considerable difference in lifestyle/stress. I see it in the owners at the places I've worked/work.

Being artistic and loving to work with hands is great, but first of all you should not be sensitive to gross stuff like blood, snot, puss etc. Being outgoing and compassionate also helps, dentists work in a high stress environment - people are usually in pain and have to pay at the end of the appointment

:barf:

I would have gotten kicked out for that comment.

:barf:

I would have gotten kicked out for that comment.
You need to forgive me, English is not my first language. I proofread every post, but sometimes things like that slip through. Without an "y" it is not so bad?;)

I realize I'm not a business owner (yet) and that that is a considerable difference in lifestyle/stress. I see it in the owners at the places I've worked/work.
Busyness plus demanding wife and you are in hell. Seen it many times

Could you explain what dentistry is like for you on a daily basis, Dr.?
Hours vary, but for a 9am pt:
Get up 7.15, leave house 7.45 (assuming the nanny is on time) arrive at work 8.15. Read through patient notes for the day (procedure, allergies, important medical info, whether the patient is a talker, scared, hates needles or doesn't like to be supine). Morning huddle at 8.30. Discuss hygiene patients (overdue? Poor OH? Didn't proceed with work suggested last time?).
8.36 until 9am: sit at my computer wondering why we meet 30 minutes before 1st patients not 10 min before.
9am begin seeing patients, including hygiene patients for exams. Hopefully finding some work that needs to be done for either later that day or soon.

Repeat until lunch hour (always seems to be 1h in dentistry, allows you to catch up with notes if you were too busy ).

Repeat after lunch. Nothing unusual.

End of day, check billing, go home.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hours vary, but for a 9am pt:
Get up 7.15, leave house 7.45 (assuming the nanny is on time) arrive at work 8.15. Read through patient notes for the day (procedure, allergies, important medical info, whether the patient is a talker, scared, hates needles or doesn't like to be supine). Morning huddle at 8.30. Discuss hygiene patients (overdue? Poor OH? Didn't proceed with work suggested last time?).
8.36 until 9am: sit at my computer wondering why we meet 30 minutes before 1st patients not 10 min before.
9am begin seeing patients, including hygiene patients for exams. Hopefully finding some work that needs to be done for either later that day or soon.

Repeat until lunch hour (always seems to be 1h in dentistry, allows you to catch up with notes if you were too busy ).

Repeat after lunch. Nothing unusual.

End of day, check billing, go home.

Thank you!
Do you live in a big city? I live in a small town (about 20,000) people and the dentists I have shadowed are always so happy and positive.

Dentistry is a great profession. Good income, Art collaborates with science. You're a Doctor and you are the boss. The level of stress is lesser than medicine except if you'll pursue OMFS(very stressful and hard specialty. ) I was already 23 when I considered Dentistry.

I like science and I have a lot of hobbies that involve working with my hands. Put the two together, add job security and a great income, and you get dentistry.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think there is one right answer. If there were, getting into dental school would be nothing more than knowing the secret passcode. I think there are trends that schools look for in applicants early life and how it steered them toward their interest in dentistry; certain intangible qualities that can't be taught, but are an innate part of who that person is. Those qualities will reveal theselves in how the applicant performs academically as well as socially in volunteerism and extra-curricular activities.

You choose dentistry because of lifestyle and money. Enough of the bs. Of course being able to see patients and help alleviate their pain is great. Of course providing a needed service to others is rewarding. But come on... First comes lust then comes love. Then comes....?

Can't say anyone's choice for Dentistry is wrong, to each their own, and honestly not surprised in the responses. But the lifestyle, the women.. That comes after the passion... For me, anyhow.

Without that you're just like many dentists on the corner starving for stable, loyal patients, who come to you because not only do they trust you, but in many ways they NEED you. And only you. That loyalty is powerful. Growing up in a city where there's more head of cows than people, your name, rep, ethics, care... Without that, good luck getting that money, and let's be honest, no money, no women. ; )

Peace.

Reactions: 2 users