Why did you choose medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, is it better to indulge in the ineptitude of others? Should someone who endeavors to enter the medical profession really be spoon-fed rather than learning to do some research on their own?

give me a break. with all the time people spent bashing this guy they could have just as nicely posted why they're interested.

Members don't see this ad.

What was it about medicine that attracted you to the field?

I chose medicine because I’d love to be in debt. My goal is to be in debt as much as I can by the time the game is over. :eek:

I like that its interactive with other people, I am not a solitary person. I like that it's hands on but not repetitive (ie, not working on a factory line inserting the same 4 screws into 5000 things being produced). I like that it's grounded in science which I enjoy because science doesn't just accept things. it asks 'why' and keeps looking until it has an answer. I probably most like that I have a direct impact on someone's life, which is why I personally find it rewarding.

Members don't see this ad :)
House >>>> Scrubs >>>>> E.R

Now that that's out of the picture...

I want to be a doctor so I can feel important and walk around in a white labcoat diagnosing random people with cancer.

House >>>> Scrubs >>>>> E.R

Now that that's out of the picture...

I want to be a doctor so I can feel important and walk around in a white labcoat diagnosing random people with cancer.

You're crazy. ER is by far the best medical drama to have ever existed, simply not in its present form. Few people who have seen season 1-7 would dispute this fact. People base their opinion of ER on what it is today, its ~14th season, which is a decade past any other show on currently not realizing it is a pale shadow of its former self.

I KNOW you aren't tryin to mess with this cast:
season1.jpg

Dunno, I'm a House fan myself.

You're crazy. ER is by far the best medical drama to have ever existed

You might be right, but a lot of people don't want to watch some fake drama unfold.

If I wanted to see drama, I would hang around the nurses' station.

Therefore, I agree that House>>>Scrubs>>>ER

And specifically for drama: Nurses' station at any hospital or clinic>>>ER

This is how it goes Scrubs > House > ER > GA/Nip tuck/Private Practice

You might be right, but a lot of people don't want to watch some fake drama unfold.

If I wanted to see drama, I would hang around the nurses' station.

Therefore, I agree that House>>>Scrubs>>>ER

And specifically for drama: Nurses' station at any hospital or clinic>>>ER

Hm...

Wikipedia said:
House, also known as House, M.D., is an American medical drama television series created by David Shore and executive produced by Shore and film director Bryan Singer

Sure, it tries to play it all cool by ripping off CSI and presenting medical puzzles of zebra that unless you are already in medical school you have little chance of solving.

and I repeat, unless you've seen seasons 1-7 of ER you've got no business commenting on it.

Aw, no girl is ever too smart to be attractive. Dumb ones aren't attractive, no matter what they look like.

Aw, nice guy!

And to answer the OP's question, it doesn't seem like I actually CHOSE medicine. Its not something that I have ever purposely gone after. It's felt more like it's been choosing me, because every time I do something I love, I find that I'm on a path toward medicine. So, it's probably in my future. Whether I wind up there, or not, it's certainly an interesting and highly worthwhile ride along the way.

I agree completely. I looked at the title of this thread and thought, "I didn't choose medicine, it chose me!" - I even started working in medicine because I was sure it would turn me off for good. No such luck. I'm doomed to debt and long work hours and meanie patients. :eek: But I'm in love...:love: How the hell do I explain THAT in a PS?!

I like neuroscience a lot, I'd rather not deal with the hassle of getting grants and such to be a full-fledged scientist, and I'd greatly appreciate the satisfaction of treating patients, and the pay for neurosurgeons is really good, and still not bad for neurologists, and the job security for both is really good, so I chose medicine.

I like neuroscience a lot, I'd rather not deal with the hassle of getting grants and such to be a full-fledged scientist, and I'd greatly appreciate the satisfaction of treating patients, and the pay for neurosurgeons is really good, and still not bad for neurologists, and the job security for both is really good, so I chose medicine.

So, to recap: You like neuroscience, but not enough to be a neuroscientist, so you'll settle for medicine because it pays well enough.

I like to dissect people. Did you know I'm utterly insane?