WHY did you choose OSTEOPATHY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hottie

Hottest Hottie
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you come to this decision?
Was there a specific event or a number of experiences that helped you with your decision?
How did you explore your interest?
If you could do it over again, would you still choose this route? If so, why?
What do you love most about this field?

I am curious how you made your decision or found yourself in this path. :)

Members don't see this ad.

When I originally started out I was planning on going for the MD (I had no idea there even WAS a DO degree). Yet, the entire time I felt like most doctors just handed you a prescription that treated the symptoms and rarely helped take care of the problem. I got all the way through my post-bac and had done all my applications for MD schools. Yet, I felt like I was going to go through 4 years of training and then have to alter my entire way of thinking to be more wholistic in the sense of looking at the body as a whole. I knew I wanted to treat patients with care and concern and treat THEM and help alleviate the PROBLEM not just the symptoms. As it turns out, a good friend of mine was a DO and I was able to talk to him about the differences. When I found out that the classes and training are the same but the outcome is very different, I was hooked. I didn't go to a single MD interview and changed my whole track to DO instead. I am now a happy MSII student and wouldn't change my decision for anything.

As far as the differences go, DOs get a lot of extra training. We do all the same classes (path, pharm, biochem, etc.) but we also tend to look at the person as a whole and look at the disease as affecting more than just one organ or system as well as more than one system or organ affecting the disease. The clincher for me was the OMM training. Knowing that the entire chiropractic field was originally based upon one method of OMM told me all I needed to know. After all, who WOULDN'T want another way to help treat patients. The idea seems ludicrous to me. Let me know if you have other questions....

Kaikipi13 said:
When I originally started out I was planning on going for the MD (I had no idea there even WAS a DO degree). Yet, the entire time I felt like most doctors just handed you a prescription that treated the symptoms and rarely helped take care of the problem. I got all the way through my post-bac and had done all my applications for MD schools. Yet, I felt like I was going to go through 4 years of training and then have to alter my entire way of thinking to be more wholistic in the sense of looking at the body as a whole. I knew I wanted to treat patients with care and concern and treat THEM and help alleviate the PROBLEM not just the symptoms. As it turns out, a good friend of mine was a DO and I was able to talk to him about the differences. When I found out that the classes and training are the same but the outcome is very different, I was hooked. I didn't go to a single MD interview and changed my whole track to DO instead. I am now a happy MSII student and wouldn't change my decision for anything.

As far as the differences go, DOs get a lot of extra training. We do all the same classes (path, pharm, biochem, etc.) but we also tend to look at the person as a whole and look at the disease as affecting more than just one organ or system as well as more than one system or organ affecting the disease. The clincher for me was the OMM training. Knowing that the entire chiropractic field was originally based upon one method of OMM told me all I needed to know. After all, who WOULDN'T want another way to help treat patients. The idea seems ludicrous to me. Let me know if you have other questions....

thank you for sharing . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
The AOA passed a resolution this year to officially refrain from using the terms "Osteopathy" and "Osteopath", unless referring to each in an historical sense. The correct terminologies are "Osteopathic Medicine" and "Osteopathic Physician".

Will, the AOA would also like us to use OMSII when signing documents but I don't see that happening.

To the OP. Why did I choose Osteopathic Medicine over Allopathic? OMM. If I didn't have an interest in OMM or FM I would have gone the MD route for sure. If I had plans to be a CV surgeon I would have gone MD. Everyone has their reasons you need to find yours.

BklynWill said:
The AOA passed a resolution this year to officially refrain from using the terms "Osteopathy" and "Osteopath", unless referring to each in an historical sense. The correct terminologies are "Osteopathic Medicine" and "Osteopathic Physician".

thanks for the update . . . . I agree that these terms are more appropriate :)

hottie said:
Was there a specific event or a number of experiences that helped you with your decision?

Why don't you write your own essays?

Or atleast do a search and be discreet about it.

BklynWill said:

Finally...

hottie said:

I chose osteopathic medicine for the same reasons: more hands-on treatment, less reliance on prescription drugs. I did an internship with a pediatrician who was an MD, and it seemed like hyperactive children (especially boys) were given ADD drugs without the doctor weighing the other options. Nobody knows the long-term effects of such drugs on the patient's well-being later on in life. Children are known to be hyper, but they learn to be calmer and more appropriate as they grow up. I think that prescriptions that more or less kill this behavior do not allow children to learn on their own the proper behavior, and could possibly build a reliance to other drugs. That's not to say that all MDs overprescribe, but I think that it is safe to say that far less DOs overprescribe medications.

I turned down an MD school (UMKC) because the DO schools, I believe, give a physician more experience. Many MDs, in fact, are trying to take OMT classes because they've seen the benefits of this treatment. Overall, osteopathic medicine is a respected philosophy; the AMA wanted the AOA to combine with them, but the AOA declined because they believed in the DO philosophy.

beastmaster said:
Why don't you write your own essays?

Or atleast do a search and be discreet about it.

:laugh:

raptor5 said:
Will, the AOA would also like us to use OMSII when signing documents but I don't see that happening.

To the OP. Why did I choose Osteopathic Medicine over Allopathic? OMM. If I didn't have an interest in OMM or FM I would have gone the MD route for sure. If I had plans to be a CV surgeon I would have gone MD. Everyone has their reasons you need to find yours.

The profession never voted on that "OMS" thing! That seemed to be AOA past president Darryl Beehler's baby.

BklynWill said:
The profession never voted on that "OMS" thing! That seemed to be AOA past president Darryl Beehler's baby.

Doesn't matter whose baby it was some people under the umbrella of osteopathic medicine still consider it an issue. Just by browsing the JAOA this is obvious. I believe the American Academy of Osteopathy (AAO) does support the use of OMS versus MS but the role the AAO plays in policy decisions is always shaky ground b/c of our rich heritage. I don't think it has ever been an issue at PCOM but Will you would know more about that. I think other schools do support the use of OMS versus MS when signing notes or at least that is the sense that I get from reading the literature and talking to those at other schools. And while those schools may not necessarily represent the views of the AOA, the AOA would not exist w/o the schools or its members.

I agree that the term "osteopath" and "osteopathy" are things of the past. I was visiting a residency and one of the residents said to me "Oh, so you're the osteopath we were told about heh?". My reply was yes, and you must be one of the many allopaths here right? I asked him to please not refer to me as such and I would be kind enough to call him Dr. as well. He seemed to understand but it was sort of a strange conversation. To say we study osteopathy would be the same as saying NFL players study "kickoffs". Sure they know a lot about that one play in the game, but they know "football" overall best of everything. DO's are physicians first, and some are qualified to practice osteopathic manipulation. Some aren't though, and to call them anything other than a physician is incorrect.

BklynWill said:

WOO HOO -- you beat me to it! I think we should flame anyone who uses "osteopath" or "osteopathy" from this point further.

My decision to attend NYCOM was heavily influenced by the fact that they were the only school that accepted me.

When I first went to college I had no idea what a DO was. The university I chose for undergrad (University of New England) just happend to have an osteopathic school as well. Being a small school, I was involved in many clubs/organizations and socially with the med students. Over the next few years I became really interested in osteopathy. When it came time to apply to med school I decided I was happy where I was. Several of my best friends decided the same thing and we are still classmates. Also, my then fiance (now wife) went to undergrad with me and was also staying at UNE for her masters degree. So here I am...

Molly Maquire said:
My decision to attend NYCOM was heavily influenced by the fact that they were the only school that accepted me.
cant blame you for that!

I chose Osteopathy because the allopaths didn't want me, but I can tell you after my first week in school I am very happy and agree that I will learn everything that there is to learn at an M.D. program plus OMM plus a certain emphasis on preventative medicine plus osteopathic principles.

Overall, I think my failure to gain admission at an M.D. program has been a blessing. I honestly mean that.

I am excited about the extra things to learn....

Hopefully, by the time I finish residency more of the public will know about DO's.

Ifell

BklynWill said:

funny stuff... the insecurity of the AOA shines brightly. Fits right in with not allowing a combined match for fear of losing good students to ACGME programs (instead of making the DO programs better...). :cool:

I chose osteopathy because i loved the idea of pursuing medicine, but none of the MD's i shadowed actually liked what they did- they all told me "medicine isn't good right now- you should go into business" or something to that effect. often frustrated with insurance, often frustrated with patients that wouldnt get better or wouldnt take their meds. Then i worked with a DO-osteopath who did a pediatric OMM practice. She loved her work, saw significant clinical improvement in her patients, and healthily got them off their meds rather than put them on new ones. Each patient was a puzzle to be figured out- anatomically, socially and spiritually- and once figured out, health was the natural response. This isnt to say you ignore diet, exercise, medications or surgery as treatment options in the least- but recognize when only symptoms are being treated... and dont settle for it while causes may yet be treated.

Of course, while she did all this, she made about three times the money that the MDs were making doing peds since she was running a cash practice (letting patients then get reimbured by their insurance companies whatever they could get- or offering a sliding scale for patients without insurance and little income). also, instead of runny noses, she was seeing the most complicated patients in the city (a big one)- many of whom had been to 5-10 other physicians of various specialties first without success. She had a 3 month waiting list for new patients.

I was sold. It was only during the application process that i figured out not all DO's practiced the way she did, and in fact most are identical to MD's (and get no more patients and no more money than their allopathic bretherin)- perhaps with more people skills in some cases, and the tendency to touch patients which is nice, but really very little distinction.

When I read AT Stills work, it reinforced all i learned during my shadowing. Most of my learning, however, was not in class, but rather by apprenticeship and what my patients taught me. There just not enough hours in OMM lab (only 200 the first year) and many of those hours are watered down teaching to people who dont put in the time out of class, and the education often isn't integrated tightly with functional anatomy, physiology, or clinical pathophysiology- links you will have to make on your own... but the building blocks are all there- its just up to you to put them together.

Even with the challenges inherent in the education at all osteopathic schools, I am very happy i chose the DO path- however it isnt for everyone. If you wish to go MD, picking DO as a backup without embracing the philosophy and mechanical principles gives some people an inferiority complex (like the DO degree is a constant reminder they couldnt cut it as an MD- so they hide thier degree or get defensive about it). I suggest if this is the case- you might consider doing something to build up your application during the year (and have some fun) and reapplying to MD schools the following year. You will be happier in the long run. If you think you like the philosophy- read AT stills work "philosophy and mechanical principles of osteopathy" on http://www.interlinea.org/atstill.html - once you do you'll know for sure one way or the other if osteopathy is for you.

You need not enter an OMM residency. They are all well and good, but if you learn enough your first two years (and/or do a fellowship in anatomy/OMM)- bring the philosophy and mechanical skill with you to whatever specialty you embrace- be it pain management, physiatry, neurology, orthopedic sugery, peds, OB, FP, or whatever. It makes a -huge- difference in how you practice. Few DO's do this, but those who do are in so much demand that they call all the shots in their practice, and make as much money as they want (dont do it just for the money though or you wont love your work and you'll never get good enough to charge the big bucks). it really is a great field to be in. it takes a LOT of work to get there though.

hope that helps,
michael