darknightzzz

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 4, 2014
Orange, CA
Status
Pre-Dental
If I was asked this question, should I tell them that I'd rather look at someone's teeth than their hemorrhoid?
you should say "sir, I rather work with the place where food enters rather than at where it leaves, do you agree with me?"

BobbyBeavis

What are loans?
5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2013
Status
Dental Student
It has never crossed my mind to become a doctor and my dentist influenced me so much I didn't want to pursue any other path

pulltheleverkronk

2+ Year Member
May 25, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I hate this question. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. It's a loaded question. By asking me that, it's assuming that dentistry will always remain medicine's little brother- when in reality it's a completely different field with dynamics that don't reflect that of the medical field. Why not do pharmacy? Why not be a vet? It's such a trite, stupid thing to ask an applicant. Both doctors and dentists treat and see patients. They aren't THAT comparable. The question should simply... "Why dentistry?"

pulltheleverkronk

2+ Year Member
May 25, 2015
Status
Dental Student
That's really the only question that makes me legitimately annoyed, though. I'll have a better answer prepared than what I said above, but I still maintain that it's a dumb question that adcoms should stop asking. Unless you have medical shadowing on your application and they need to make sure that you actually want to be a dentist.

Carbohydrates

2+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I hate this question. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. It's a loaded question. By asking me that, it's assuming that dentistry will always remain medicine's little brother- when in reality it's a completely different field with dynamics that don't reflect that of the medical field. Why not do pharmacy? Why not be a vet? It's such a trite, stupid thing to ask an applicant. Both doctors and dentists treat and see patients. They aren't THAT comparable. The question should simply... "Why dentistry?"
You sir, are my hero!

BobbyBeavis

What are loans?
5+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2013
Status
Dental Student
Ha, at one of my interviews they asked "Why Dentistry? Why not Med, Vet, Pharm?"

Reactions: pulltheleverkronk

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
Some chose to be dentists because they are "doctors".