Air Force Why did you choose to go with this branch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cluelessdr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the title states. I am applying for 4-yr HPSP and wondering what branch I should apply to. What made you apply to this branch over Army or Navy? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Historically AF has a "better" outlook for family, has cushier postings, shorter deployments, better assignments.

That said, I'm just a recently commissioned officer so I have no actual experience in the service and can offer little in terms of comparison. My buddies who are prior service Army will say that AF has nicer bases and postings. Another guy I know said that he really liked his family life while in the AF (had 4 kids) but he also has really liked the family life aspect in the Navy (currently an OS in the Navy, and before D-School did AF as enlist).

Overall, it's also what is easier to get for the 4-year (or 3-year as was my case because I didn't clue into the HPSP until too late). Army and Navy are typically less competitive for 4-year than AF, but then for 3-year, AF has more slots so it's "less competitive". That said, all are very competitive.

Hope the above makes sense.

Like the title states. I am applying for 4-yr HPSP and wondering what branch I should apply to. What made you apply to this branch over Army or Navy? Thanks.

Navy definitely has the best bases out of all branches. However, downside is you might be attached to a ship and deploy for 6 months at a time.
I recommend applying to all branches to maximize your chances. You can always decide later.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As far as how nice assignment locations are, just realize that as a fresh grad you’re more than likely going to end up in the “armpit” locations of your service branch. You earn the nice billets after taking one for the team.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
Navy definitely has the best bases out of all branches. However, downside is you might be attached to a ship and deploy for 6 months at a time.
I recommend applying to all branches to maximize your chances. You can always decide later.
I plan on applying to all three, but I just kinda wanted to prepare for the interview in the AF.

Historically AF has a "better" outlook for family, has cushier postings, shorter deployments, better assignments.

That said, I'm just a recently commissioned officer so I have no actual experience in the service and can offer little in terms of comparison. My buddies who are prior service Army will say that AF has nicer bases and postings. Another guy I know said that he really liked his family life while in the AF (had 4 kids) but he also has really liked the family life aspect in the Navy (currently an OS in the Navy, and before D-School did AF as enlist).

Overall, it's also what is easier to get for the 4-year (or 3-year as was my case because I didn't clue into the HPSP until too late). Army and Navy are typically less competitive for 4-year than AF, but then for 3-year, AF has more slots so it's "less competitive". That said, all are very competitive.

Hope the above makes sense.
that makes total sense! thank you so much

i have a sibling and bro-inlaw (their spouse) who are both officers in the Marine Corps. So i only applied to Navy. My Choice was simple!

Reactions: 1 user