Why did you guys choose Dental school instead of medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the Undergrad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, I often wonder this these days. What's the charm of dental school that you guys chose it over Med. schools (Allo)? Is dental relatively easier or what? Is the DAT harder than the MCAT? Is there more $$$ in Dental????

EXACTLY whats the whole charm??

Members don't see this ad.

I don't mean to take it wrong way but the way you states you q it is ahrd to resist. Well I don't know why you think that people choose dental school over medical school or for that purpose any profession. What makes you think people choose dental school over medical school?? I know few guys who never even thought about medical school but wanted to be dentist. You need to answer why one chooses medical school over dental school and if you can answer that U can answer your own questions. I mean come on you even had to specify "Med.(allo)" why???? You mean osteopatic doctors are not real doctors??
Some times it makes me wonder how people think in this world. Few days ago I was having conversation with one of my co-worker that I am going to apply to dental school and he said that why aren't you applying for medical school?? I mean come on.... He didn't even ask me why I am applying to dental school??? nobody asks some lawyer why he didn't apply to medical school??etc. These are different professions and they are right fit for different people and that is why they choose to do what they do.

Reactions: 1 user
I am choosing dentistry for its lifestyle, hours of work, time commitment from me and giving me advnatege of living where i want to live In US bcz right now I can't as I have to live where I get the better job. Also I shadowed a dentist before finalizing my decision to apply and become dentsit. I liked what he was doing and kept liking it as the time went on. This is what one of my teachers said to me that. If you don't love what you doing that's OK but you have to like what you doing and I like dentistry. By all means I was never fan of any field(professional) until my senior year which is too late but that's true. So after graduating I got the job and had time to think about what I want to do next besides satying at the job with crappy hours, crappy location and good pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the same reason reason that someone chooses to get a marketing degree instead of being a trashman ... because I want to. It's that simple. You seem too hung up on 'medical school prestige'.

What's the charm of dental school that you guys chose it over Med. schools (Allo)? [/QUOTE said:
I found Dental school to be more stimulating, attracting, and expensive.

Go to a profession that better fits you.

I agree with those reasons stated by fairbrother. "I am choosing dentistry for its lifestyle, hours of work, time commitment from me and giving me advnatege of living where i want to live In US bcz right now I can't as I have to live where I get the better job. "
It is really a person's choice.
I admire physicians who work 80 hrs tirelessly to deal with life and death situation.
But, it doesnt work for everybody.
And the thing is if I am not pursuing MD, there are thousands of people will take my place. But now, it seems there is a larger amount of retiring dentists than graduating dentists, which could well possibly mean there will be a shortage of care. For just to helping people's sake, I would come to dentistry just to make sure I can provide adequate treatments to these people.

We will be/are professionals. We have the power to change. It is just that physicians seem to have a little more restriction now. Hopefully, our health care system can improve.

Why do I want to go to dental school and not to med school? I have absolutely no interest in being an MD, but I find teeth & the oral cavity fascinating. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I never considered being an MD.

Also, given all my experiences with doctors and all my experiences with dentists (quite a bit of each), if I had to compare my overall interactions the two groups, I've always gotten along with dentists better.

Why do I want to be a dentist more than anything else? Intellectual fascination, that I really like working with my hands, a sense of responsibility for helping people have better lives if I can, and the growing need for professionals and academics in the field.

Reactions: 1 user
the Undergrad said:
EXACTLY whats the whole charm??

The sheer artistry.

412b.jpg
412a.jpg

(Case done by Dr. Jonathan Ziv, DDS - Agoura Hills, California)

And good paying too. :D

Nope, no interest whatsoever in med school. But if I did, I would have gone to a 6-year oral surgery program after dental school.

UBTom said:
The sheer artistry.

412b.jpg
412a.jpg

(Case done by Dr. Jonathan Ziv, DDS - Agoura Hills, California)

And good paying too. :D

Nope, no interest whatsoever in med school. But if I did, I would have gone to a 6-year oral surgery program after dental school.

How long to you give her before her new, beautiful set of teeth start to look like her old set due to neglect and bad oral hygiene? 6 mo? 1yr? 2yr? In similar massive reconstruction situations, I wonder what the percentage is for patient compliance, or what the number of individuals revert back to their previous poor oral hygiene habits and how quickly they revert??? :confused:

Yep.. That's why patient education is a big part of what we do-- You have to:

1) scare the patient into being compliant with the floss threaders and 6 month recalls, and

2) remind them that they just made a multi-thousand-dollar investment in paying you to fix them up, and unless they want to shell out another few thousand bucks a year or two from now to do it all over again with a decreased chance of success, they better start taking better care of themselves! :D

3) and of course, you have to show the patients the proper techniques-- How to use a floss threader, when is the right time to brush, remind them to chew sugarless gum as often as possible, avoid really acidic drinks like OJ, etc. Just help stack the odds in their favor.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS make sure you remind the patient to employ proper home care techniques and regimen during each and every visit. And document everything!

Yes, as you surmised, case selection is important... Gotta take into account patient motivation in presenting the options in the tx plan. Rather than full mouth rehabilitation, some patients might be better suited for full-mouth extraction and complete upper and lower dentures, for instance. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the funny part.....

I typed in my first and last name, and it said, "unemployed" :(

But when I included my middle name, it said, "reality tv show star" :laugh:

quite hilarious....what did other ppl get? :)

Funny site!

I too got "Dentist." I typed in my other dental friends names and got "Paleantologist," "Suicide bomber," "Shoplifter," "Cowboy," "Topless Model," "Who you kidding.... you won't work" and other such combinations.

Haha.

For the OP's question, the charm is working on teeth and the oral cavitiy. It's what I always wanted to do and what I now love doing. You can say we've already decided which are of the body we are going to specialize in when we start dental school, rather than go to medical school and then specialize in Neurology, GI, Cardiology, etc.

I got President Imagine that...then I didn't use my middle name and got Gigolo. My gf got Emperor of the World....And my buddy got God.

Weird..

mine is Teaching Pensioners to Drive.
interesting job.

...because medical school rejected me :(

It just seems like it is a cozier profession than being a physician.

Why is it always suggested that someone who is going into dentistry has chosen dental over medicine? As far as I'm concerned, medicine was never a thought Who wants to be around sick people all day? Who wants to tell people that their loved one has died? Most of all, who the hell wants to be overworked and underpaid?

I couldn't agree with you more concerning the behavior modification techniques you suggest. Education and scare tactics. My experience: I went to my dentist at age 22 and the hygenist sat down next to me after doing her exam and looked me straight in the eyes and said "Your gums have receeded emmensly since your last visit. If you don't start flossing your gums will continue to receed until they cannot support your teeth, and then your teeth WILL begin to fall out. If you continue to do as you have up until now you will lose most, if not all of your teeth by the time you are 35 !" Then she proceeded to show me the proper way to floss and gave me some Glide teflon tape. Ever since that day I've flossed religiously! I love that woman! Scare tactics worked for me. :eek:

I still would love to see the statistics on patient compliance for major restorations. I would guess that forking over big $$$$ would alter most peoples behavior, but i'm sure there's plenty that fall right back to their old ways, especially those who's mouths were in ultra-deplorable condition due to their years of super-substandard oral hygine. I haven't searched pubmed for such a topic yet, but I am thinking it's got to be a hot area of study somewhere.

Oh yeah...."Your ideal job is a Goal Scoring Superstar Hero and a Muppet Impersonator." Niiiicccceeee! I'm quitting dentistry right now and moving on to my true calling, MUPPET IMPERSONATING. Hi ho, Kermit the frog here..... :p

UBTom said:
Yep.. That's why patient education is a big part of what we do-- You have to:

1) scare the patient into being compliant with the floss threaders and 6 month recalls, and

2) remind them that they just made a multi-thousand-dollar investment in paying you to fix them up, and unless they want to shell out another few thousand bucks a year or two from now to do it all over again with a decreased chance of success, they better start taking better care of themselves! :D

3) and of course, you have to show the patients the proper techniques-- How to use a floss threader, when is the right time to brush, remind them to chew sugarless gum as often as possible, avoid really acidic drinks like OJ, etc. Just help stack the odds in their favor.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS make sure you remind the patient to employ proper home care techniques and regimen during each and every visit. And document everything!

Yes, as you surmised, case selection is important... Gotta take into account patient motivation in presenting the options in the tx plan. Rather than full mouth rehabilitation, some patients might be better suited for full-mouth extraction and complete upper and lower dentures, for instance. :laugh:

Dr.BadVibes said:
Because when I entered my name, the job predictor told me that my ideal job is to be a dentist. Weird, eh?

http://www.jobpredictor.com/index.asp

It says that my ideal job is a, "rabbit slayer" and when I typed in my wifes name it said her ideal job was, "An always at the bar drinking person"! :laugh:

I am choosing Dentistry, because Medecine doesn't interest me.
I think Dentsitry is very female friendly.

My ideal jod in office gopher :rolleyes: Yeah right :laugh:

I guess that holds true for family friendly as well.
Who would like to have ur spouse going off work late at night?
Since most MDs are on pager.

Tamala said:
I am choosing Dentistry, because Medecine doesn't interest me.
I think Dentsitry is very female friendly.

two reasons why I chose dentistry

1. Bling Bling $$$
2. I like to hurt little kids

cuz i LOVE teeth. why else?!
other reasons include:

my love for life . my family. my friends, and being able to see my kids and spouse when i am married. there are way too many drs who work way too much and miss out on everything . i have family/friends who have drs as parents and feel like the parents are never around. besides, if i were a dr i wouldnt like my colleagues (people from the medical forums are always asking us why we wanna be dentists and if teeth really excite us. like, how ignorant. grrrrr. and they are arrogant too. BOO) dentists are fun .

There are many reasons I am chosing dentistry, most of them have been listed on this thread. But one important one has not been yet: I asked all of the MDs that I shadowed would they do it all over again if they had to and the overwhelming response was "no way". In fact, that's how I found dentistry--an MD told me to go shadow a dentist. After many hours shadowing DDS I found that they all said "Absolutely" they would do it over if they had to. So what does that say for the MDs?

DDS/DMD all the way baby!! :laugh:

if all the dentists said "absolutely" then why does the suicide myth still uphold? anyway, i want to go to dental school because of the financial benefits, family life, be your own boss and because at the same time i would be doing a service to mankind as well

NCSMILES: I asked all of the MDs that I shadowed would they do it all over again if they had to and the overwhelming response was "no way"

That is exactly the same thing that many MD's told me. In fact one MD was getting her teeth cleaned at my dentists and she told me how choosing dentistry is the right idea and if she had to go back she would do it.

On the other hand I've never met a dentist that hasn't recommended dentistry.

I chose dentistry because it gives me a sense of power over people like you! I can drill you and make you cry pain...it sexually excites me to bring pain to other people and gives me a feeling of orgasmic satisfaction. I am an oral kinda guy. It really turns me on. Medicine to be is like an ugly fat dumb girl. Where as dentistry is like a gorgeous, smart, and sexy girl....*drools*

Why are some people getting crazy on this guy. Wasn't he just asking a simple question about why we chose dentistry vs. medicine? Or rather, why I chose dentistry vs. being a clown.

accidental said:
Why are some people getting crazy on this guy. Wasn't he just asking a simple question about why we chose dentistry vs. medicine? Or rather, why I chose dentistry vs. being a clown.

Exactly! I agree with accidental...what's wrong with the guy/girl asking why we all chose dentistry? Chances are you were at that same decision (dent vs. med) at some time or another. Most people on this forum asked the same question (whether they admit it or no), so give it a rest and honestly give feedback to help the person decide if dentistry is right for them or not!

Oh I'm sorry, do you want an apology? how about a hallmark card? I just think it is preposterous to assume that we want to choose dentistry over medicine. What if medicine was never in our mindset?

Woodsy said:
Oh I'm sorry, do you want an apology? how about a hallmark card? I just think it is preposterous to assume that we want to choose dentistry over medicine. What if medicine was never in our mindset?

I would love an apology and a hallmark card, that's very thoughtful of you to ask - here's a link

*Edited by Henna*

Woodsy said:
Ok I'm sorry I slept with your mom and the condom broke so that you popped up 9 months later hence your name Accidental. Sorry about that. As for the Hallmark card, go to the link and send it to yourself. You have sex with yourself I don't see why can't send yourself a card.
Yup, sounds like an arrogant elitist Canadian to me :laugh:

aphistis said:
...bloody hell? Is that supposed to be wit?

Yeah, aren't I so lucky to have such an intelligent father? I wish I would have got just a fraction of his wit.

jobpredictor has me down as a Superhero! :cool:

well, gotta go save my man... they've got him as a Professional Tramp. WHAT the @#$%??? :laugh: that is one crazy site!

i applied to med school before, didnt get in (28 mcat), considered my options, applying again, decided that dentistry is just a direct route to what i want anyways. I do understand a little bit of what the OP means, i mean you cant really argue that being a dentist is as different from being an MD as a lawyer is.
I view dentistry as a sub-specialty of medicine. I mean imagine what a popular specialty it would be if it were an MD res program.

your own private healthcare practice for sure
shorter training
the chance to go to a school that you actually want to go to and not just the only one that accepts you wherever it may be
Better hours/lifestyle

those are pretty key reasons

DOnt get me wrong i think some MDs have it good too, but if you are considering dentistry, i think its a much better deal/opportunity. its just that a lot of people "dont like teeth", or like the idea of telling momsy and dadsy about med school. I have seen some derm/orthopedics/ENT practices that were private and cushy like a dentists, but i really think those are the exception, and the doctors who work there prob graduated tops of tops. That was my image of myself as a doctor, and i came to find its not true in the vast majority of the cases.

I just pictured myself getting into the bottom rung med school, getting some residency im not too interested in (anesthesiology? cardio?) taking a position in megahospital corporation X, making 250K, working 60 hours a week doing something im not crazy about under some one possibly telling me what to do, times 50 years. Where on the other hand dentistry was a direct route to what i wanted to do.

hope this helps good luck

has anyone noticed that the OP just started the thread and disppeared?

hmmmm

LOL! :laugh: i was just thinking the same thing...

toothpixie said:
LOL! :laugh: i was just thinking the same thing...

its amazing how many of these threads we see. someone starts a dumb thread to make everyone angry while they never even look back. and yet, we keep posting in these threads.

so true, Perfect. BAD pixie. :p but i gotta admit, sometimes in an inflammatory thread such as this, you find a gem. That jobpredictor site keeps the laughs coming! Thanks, Dr. Bad Vibes! I shall now move to other threads...

BTW, Perfect, i hope ur missing L.A. a lot less :) You must be so EXCITED, i envy you already starting school!!! Best Wishes.

toothpixie said:
jobpredictor has me down as a Superhero! :cool:

well, gotta go save my man... they've got him as a Professional Tramp. WHAT the @#$%??? :laugh: that is one crazy site!
:laugh: :laugh: