SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Why do almost no DO schools have Early Decision?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Nanook, Mar 5, 2000.

1. Nanook

Nanook Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Fairbanks, AK USA
    Here's another off-the-wall question:

What's up with DO schools and the lack of early decision programs? It seems most MD schools have them, but the only osteopathic schools I can find that have the program are Western U and Philadelphia. Why is this, and are there others that have it and don't advertise it?

Thanks to anyone with knowledge, or even intelligent speculations. [​IMG]

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 17, 1998
    Kansas
    KCOM does have early decision they just don't advertise it. I applied through EDP and just called KCOM up, asked about the program and proceeded from there.

------------------
    Carrie
    KCOM '03

4. DOATC2B

DOATC2B Junior Member 10+ Year Member

May 13, 1999
    MSUCOM has early decision also. April? Call the admissions office for confirmation on that.

5. wifefrog

wifefrog Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 1, 1999
    Lees Summit, MO USA
    Does anyone know if UHS has an early decision program?

6. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Detroit
    I have no idea..call 1-800-234-4UHS and try and talk to someone in admissions. Hopefully they can help you.

7. drusso

drusso Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Nov 21, 1998
    Over the rainbow
    TCOM has an early decision too.

8. Nanook

Nov 12, 1999
    Fairbanks, AK USA
    Whoa....

Thanks for all the info, especially the part about Kirksville. I think I will call a bunch of schools and find out what they say. If I find anything useful I will post it here.

9. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 21, 1999
    Michigan
    Nanook,

It's all in the handy-dandy school by school info packet which comes with your AACOMAS application. It specifically tells you which schools have early decision programs.

10. Joe

Joe Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Why does anyone want to go thru early decision? There are certainly more cons than pros.

You can only apply to one program, and I think the only gain is that you know about the acceptance by about a month or two before the regular acceptance. Also, it's usually recommended for a stellar applicant who only wants to attend a certain school.
    The bad side of it is that if you don't get accepted, then your application to other med schools are way too late, and you're pretty much in an uphill battle.

11. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 17, 1998
    Kansas
    If you are a stong applicant and do know which school you want to go to you can get through the process a little faster and a lot cheaper by applying early decision.

------------------
    Carrie
    KCOM '03

12. Nanook

Nov 12, 1999
    Fairbanks, AK USA
    And that is precisely my reason.

Being from Alaska, it could be an extremely expensive and, more importantly, time consuming, process to interview at several schools. (It takes a full day of flying--one way--to get anywhere in the Lower 48)

Hey Gibby--I don't have that booklet yet. In fact, they say the materials aren't available until May 1. If you have it, could you flip through and post the schools?

I downloaded the AACOMAS computer version, but I can't find anything in there about ED (uhh.."Early Decision", that is, not the other ED)......