Why do almost no DO schools have Early Decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanook

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's another off-the-wall question:

What's up with DO schools and the lack of early decision programs? It seems most MD schools have them, but the only osteopathic schools I can find that have the program are Western U and Philadelphia. Why is this, and are there others that have it and don't advertise it?

Thanks to anyone with knowledge, or even intelligent speculations.
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

KCOM does have early decision they just don't advertise it. I applied through EDP and just called KCOM up, asked about the program and proceeded from there.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

MSUCOM has early decision also. April? Call the admissions office for confirmation on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if UHS has an early decision program?

I have no idea..call 1-800-234-4UHS and try and talk to someone in admissions. Hopefully they can help you.

Whoa....

Thanks for all the info, especially the part about Kirksville. I think I will call a bunch of schools and find out what they say. If I find anything useful I will post it here.

Nanook,

It's all in the handy-dandy school by school info packet which comes with your AACOMAS application. It specifically tells you which schools have early decision programs.

Why does anyone want to go thru early decision? There are certainly more cons than pros.

You can only apply to one program, and I think the only gain is that you know about the acceptance by about a month or two before the regular acceptance. Also, it's usually recommended for a stellar applicant who only wants to attend a certain school.
The bad side of it is that if you don't get accepted, then your application to other med schools are way too late, and you're pretty much in an uphill battle.

If you are a stong applicant and do know which school you want to go to you can get through the process a little faster and a lot cheaper by applying early decision.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

And that is precisely my reason.

Being from Alaska, it could be an extremely expensive and, more importantly, time consuming, process to interview at several schools. (It takes a full day of flying--one way--to get anywhere in the Lower 48)

Hey Gibby--I don't have that booklet yet. In fact, they say the materials aren't available until May 1. If you have it, could you flip through and post the schools?

I downloaded the AACOMAS computer version, but I can't find anything in there about ED (uhh.."Early Decision", that is, not the other ED)......