Why do certain residency programs only have IMG/FMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetBurger

cowbell
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i was looking through the residency classes of residency programs in a region of the country that I would like to match back to. For some reason the programs only have FMG or IMG physicians and the occasional DO student from the region. What's the deal with that? Is it because US MD's dont apply to these or are these FMG/IMG just ridiculously competitive so they get the position. Just curious. (btw these aren't like top name places or super competitive specialties)

Members don't see this ad.

These are generally uncompetitive places that fill most/all their positions in the SOAP. It also depends on what speciality. IM at a community program isn’t desirable because it decreases a person’s competitiveness for fellowship. However a Transitional Year program at the same hospital/program may be competitive because of the schedule or the location.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends. After interviewing at a lot of places that were IMG/FMG only (I was looking to stay in my home state so I applied to every program there), I noticed a trend. About 50% of the IMG/FMG only programs I interviewed at were super malignant. Like, the PDs didn't care about the program/residents and they were overworked and had no real education/guidance. These places usually don't SOAP because they interviewed a lot of people. 25% of the places I interviewed at that were only filled with IMG/FMG were because of location. These are very rural or crappy areas that the US grads from my state don't want to go live in, but the programs themselves were fine. The other 25% of programs I interviewed at were a "base" hospital for Caribbean schools so they tended to fill their program with Caribbean IMGs.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Usually means they aren't super competitive programs. Could be due to location, poor training, community program etc. Look to see if they consistently people from their own program.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends. After interviewing at a lot of places that were IMG/FMG only (I was looking to stay in my home state so I applied to every program there), I noticed a trend. About 50% of the IMG/FMG only programs I interviewed at were super malignant. Like, the PDs didn't care about the program/residents and they were overworked and had no real education/guidance. These places usually don't SOAP because they interviewed a lot of people. 25% of the places I interviewed at that were only filled with IMG/FMG were because of location. These are very rural or crappy areas that the US grads from my state don't want to go live in, but the programs themselves were fine. The other 25% of programs I interviewed at were a "base" hospital for Caribbean schools so they tended to fill their program with Caribbean IMGs.
I think this is pretty insightful and answers the question similar to how I would answer it. There are general flavors of majority IMG programs.

1.) Uncompetitive for US grads due to location/name recognition but a fine program nonetheless.
2.) Uncompetitive, US grads avoid, the program knows that and recruits tons of IMGs and they fill. These places are generally malignant.
3.) Some places in NYC actually do things differently and recruit IMGs and expect them to know more than the typical AMG coming in and get work done. These programs sometimes offer spots outside the match.

Last edited:
I think this is pretty insightful and answers the question similar to how I would answer it. There are general flavors of majority IMG programs.

1.) Uncompetitive for US grads due to location/name recognition but a fine program nonetheless.
2.) Uncompetitive, US grads avoid, the program knows that and recruits tons of IMGs and they fill. These places are generally malignant.
3.) Some places in NYC actually do things differently and recruit IMGs and expect them to know more than the typical AMG coming in and get work done. These programs sometimes offer spots outside the match.
Is there a way to tell the difference between 1 and 2?

Location as above is one way.

1.) Generally if the program is university based, but matches lots of IMGs, it's usually location. Any program with an .edu email, primary affiliation with an academic hospital and medical school and you should be assured there have to be some good faculty members there.

2.) If a place has invited the whole internet, the website shows majority IMGs, and everyone seems to have been invited for an interview, that's a sign of a potentially malignant program.

3.) Generally Carribbean students specifically (nothing against them personally) are an indicator species of the worst residencies because they'll take any categorical position open to them so if they're a significant majority that's a sign of a bad program as it means everyone else did not rank them. Key word is significant majority. Carribbeans like every other medical graduate group is heterogenous and some work very hard and deserve to be at decent programs so you shouldn't hold it against a program if they have 2-3 Carribbeans in a class of 10 for example if there's a mix. Now if it's 9 Carribbean students and 1 DO, that's different.

4.) Generally IMGs from Europe+Commonwealth/South Asia/Middle East/Islam-Dominant African countries are solid/ambitious residents. They may get ranked below US MDs but they are solid nonetheless and have other options.

5.) Unrelated point but HCA residencies are terrible. They have the veneer of a respectable program and recruit 230+ but the quality of supervision and mentorship is absolutely terrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Look at the spreadsheets, name and Shame, and talk to residents on interview day. The most malignant programs I interviewed at filled because they interview EVERYONE and extend invites to the most desperate of applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Some places preferentially take IMGs or make room for them. I know at least two well-known residencies who were paid a hefty sum to take a few IMG residents every year.

Look at the spreadsheets, name and Shame, and talk to residents on interview day. The most malignant programs I interviewed at filled because they interview EVERYONE and extend invites to the most desperate of applicants.
Completely agree with this too! This is clearly laid out anonymously on spreadsheets.

Thank you so much! Do you know where I can find those spreadsheets?

EDIT: Nevermind, I learned how to Google

Last edited:
At my hospital, some spots are paid for by the Saudi government. They pay ~$450k per 3 spots (2 to US grads and 1 for Saudi grad). So its usually the top crop Saudi grad with good Step scores and recommendations who end up in these spots (or relatives of government officials)

There's an established way to do this known as SACM ([PDF] SACM AFFILIATION FOR MEDICAL PROGRAMS - Free Download PDF). This are separate tracks Saudi applicants exclusively apply for during the residency physician. I personally see nothing fishy about this. On one end, schools through experience have learn these foreign graduates make solid residents and then are transparent about the recruitment process which is separate from US grad/IMG recruitment through a categorical track. It's usually 10% or less of the residency class filled this way.

Yea ik. I was saying that these Saudis are the top doctors of their country and we (the U.S.) are benefiting greatly from them
Sorry, just expanding more on the topic. Not meant to refute anything you said which I agreed with.

Last edited: