SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Why do DO schools fear being used as a backup...

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Royce, Jun 29, 2000.

1. Royce

Royce Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 26, 2000
    If osteopathy is such a good field to enter?

Why could that be?

Why would someone use a "great" system as a backup?

Why would DO schools spend a great deal of time bashing MD schools during an interview?

Why would DO interviewers ask if you applied to MD schools, while MD interviewers don't bother to stoop so low?

Keep those witty "pimple popper" retorts coming while I sit back and laugh my ass off! This is even better than reading www.theonion.com! And it does wonders for you image in the eyes of aspiring pre-meds who come to this site to learn about your program!

Hey, maybe I'll "see the light" someday and realize that your program is equal to mine. Maybe I'll "get a life" and stop trying to combat the lies that gush from your mouths like water from a busted fire hydrant. And, miracle of miracles, maybe you'll somehow end up in the same residency as me and then I'll get to learn a bit more about how to be a happy-faced liar like you people.

OK. Fire away with some good ones. I've got a bit of work to do but I'm counting on having a few good laughs waiting for me when I return...

[​IMG]

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. wheatfarmer

wheatfarmer Senior Member 10+ Year Member

May 1, 2000
    Shouldn't you be in Home-Ec right now highschool boy?
    I am very suprised the hall monitor didn't stop you before you got to the computer lab!

see ya Royce-a-Roni (the IMG treat!)

4. wheatfarmer

wheatfarmer Senior Member 10+ Year Member

May 1, 2000
    Comon Roycenstein...why don't you ever play with ME! You seem sooooooo confident playing with the other kids. How come nothing bout me?

I am a lowly wheatfarmer trying to pick a fight with a dork.

Comon...you get the first punch Royce-alamadingdong.

Sweetie, Honey, show me just how smart you are ...tough guy.

5. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust 10+ Year Member

Jan 11, 2000
    tent
    oh wait, ive got a good one for you Royce..

My but time flies when youre ignoring Royce.
    What do you say everyone, i think he deserves it.

6. RYSA

RYSA Member 10+ Year Member

May 18, 2000
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Now this is getting a little silly, don't you think?

My but time flies when youre ignoring Royce.
    What do you say everyone, i think he deserves it.[/B][/QUOTE]

------------------
    "A goal without a deadline is, in reality, only a wish"

7. ewagner

ewagner Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 22, 1998
    All that wheatfarmer is trying to do , is make light of an "adult" acting like a 6 year old brat.

Act like a child, and expect child-like responses!!

(chuckle)

8. myrnafir

myrnafir Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2000
    Princeton, NJ
    I chose osteopathic medical school because it is the way that I want to learn medicine. I'm comfortable with the philosophy, I like the primary care orientation, I've been treated well by wonderful DOs as well as MDs and I sincerely believe in the positive aspects of OMT. Choosing DO medical school is of a personal nature- however, I am disappointed that some people apply to it as a back up. Some people admit to it, others don't. But this is my education and I put a lot of thought and heart into it. I don't regret it for a second.

MOST people go into it because they thoroughly researched osteopathic medicine, spoke to both MDs and DOs and decided for themselves. It's like choosing any school of thought or concentration- do I want to choose a forensic science school that is known for its firearms concentration or do I prefer a forensic science school with a highly regarded concentration in pathology?

Royce, Mike, et. al., don't let the comments, positive or otherwise, poison your attitude towards your future colleagues (MDs and DOs). Just keep an open mind and respect that our education and training are similar, but different.

That goes for everyone. We don't need to polarize the medical profession any more than it has to be. Our patients' trust depend on both our professional and humanitarian attitude. So just quit it.

9. Batman

Batman Junior Member 10+ Year Member

May 30, 2000
    I'm so glad to see that our future DOs and MDs are so compasionate, understanding and polite that they do not resort to name calling. As well as bashing each others profession. Furthermore, that we all have enough self-esteem, that when we are insulted we don't feel the need to "counter-attack" with equally childish remarks. I think it's just wonderful that the same nonsense that has divided the profession for nearly 100 years has finally come to an end. Finally, we have moved passed all this and we look forward to a bright future of cooperation and understanding. Bravo my fellow collegues, Bravo!

10. David511

David511 Ponch's Illegitimate Son 10+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2000
    Houston
    Royce,

As I see it, the reason DO school is a back-up for so many is because its still marginalized by idio...er, I mean 'people' such as yourself. All those young Premeds out there are easily influenced by the hype that's caused and dismiss DO schools as 2nd rate. As long as this occurs the average numbers of matriculants will be lower than that of MD schools. As this moronic stigma disappears so will the disparity in the numbers.

It's all a matter of education. Those who are uneducated look down upon DOs...those who have taken the time to do their homework learn to appreciate the philisophical differences a DO education allows. So stop talking numbers...if you can get that huge head of yours out the door go out and get a book. Do your homework. Then come back and we can discuss.

-d

11. travisco

travisco Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2000
    Denver, CO, USA
    This post is blatant name calling and should be closed. I think even Adrianna Shoelace would agree even though it is technically censorship. Professionalism has gone out the window, and because of this I 'd like to take the opportunity to thank Royce for playing the part of the pre-med that we all love to hate. People like you re-affirm why I am going the DO route. People like you give the silent majority of M.D.s a bad name.
    Royce you really should be careful, I'm not sure that the staff at your school would approve of such unprofessional behavior. I doubt anyone will do anything about it however if anyone ever puts your face and name to your "net personality" you'll look pretty bad. Anyway bask in your acceptance, things are going to change radically when you start school.

To answer your question why we are so paranoid about DO schools being back up schools:

Your the one who incited our response by claiming that they were backups. You threw out that idea, we responded. To throw something like that in our face and then to try to use armchair psychoanalysis and say we are overcompensating for our own insecurities by defending ourselves is tantamount to saying that we should have ignored you from the get go. You got me Royce, your right. We should have ignored you from your first post. I'm sorry for assumming you could carry on a medical debate impartially. Thanks for illuminating my insecurities about my future profession. Do I owe you anything or is this free therapy. We are all eternally grateful.

By the way, DO schools try to weed out people like you during admissions. Since you were accepted they were probably giving you the benefit of the doubt as well.

I'm sure whichever DO schools that accepted you are as excited as you are that you are going the M.D. route.

12. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 11, 1999
    Not to fear Royce, they managed to re-attach John Wayne Babbit's they should be able to re-attach yours. Only problem is the surgeons haven't figured out if it goes below your navel or on top of your neck. They must have done an osteopathic residency...

13. Royce

Jun 26, 2000
    Keep the stupid insults coming, people!

With every child-like "comeback" you deliver, you just lower yourself even closer to my admittedly fetid, crass level.

The saddest thing is that I just throw you dogs a bone, and you eagerly open up your big mouths. Like I said, I never could have imagined just how ridiculous you could be induced to be...thanks for exceeding my expectations!

P.S. For supposed medical students, the overall level of expression, grammar and ability to deliver retorts is pretty low. Must have hurt those MCATs, huh?

[​IMG]

14. travisco

Apr 12, 2000
    Denver, CO, USA
    Bravo, Bravo we are all in the palm of your hand. Only one such as you, one who acheived the exalted 12 on the MCAT verbal section could possess such wit. What is next in your master plan? Dare I ask to comprehend the inscrutible mind of one such as Royce? Master of the pre-med psyche, master of manipulating DOs, master of good reading comprehension. I am but a lesser man, do what you will Master Royce, this board is your stage and you are the star actor.

15. Royce

Jun 26, 2000
    It's working, isn't it? After all, I'm probably the most hated person on this board and yet YOU'RE STILL responding to me, and with great speed, too.

Thanks for the company and talk to you soon, Travis.

16. AMS-007

AMS-007 Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 9, 2000
    New York
    Okay guys that quite enough. I think we've gone beyond where we needed to go with this matter and seems that we are still doing it. It would behove us as physicians and future physicians to avoid losing our tempers. I think the best way to avoid having a conversation degenerate like this is to END IT when we sense that someone is trying to push our buttons.

I THINK IT WOULD BE BEST IF WE DID NOT RESPOND ANYMORE TO ROYCE'S POSTS. IT IS OBVIOUS ROYCE DOES NOT WANT TO HAVE A SERIOUS CONVERSATION WITH US AND EVEN IF HE/SHE DID, I DON'T THINK WE CAN HAVE ONE RIGHT NOW ANYWAY. SO LETS JUST END IT RIGHT HERE. HE/SHE HAS ALREADY POSTED SEVERAL THREADS TO ESCALATE THIS EVEN MORE. IF YOU SEE ONE OF THE THREADS, PLEASE DON'T RESPOND. WE'VE ALREADY TURNED THIS WEB BOARD INTO A FARCE AND I THINK IT'S ABOUT TIME WE GOT IT BACK ON TRACK AND HAD SOME INTELLIGENT CONVERSATION WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE TRUELY INTERESTED IN BECOMING PHYSICIANS (ALLOPATHIC OR OSTEOPATHIC). IF ROYCE OR SOMEONE LIKE HIM/HER WANTS TO VOICE THEIR OPINION FAR BE IT FOR US TO ARGUE WITH THEM. IT IS NOT OUR MISSION TO CONVERT HIM. IT IS OUR MISSION TO HELP OTHERS WHO WANT AND NEED OUR HELP.

It is likely that we (osteopathic physicians) may meet other physicians who feel the same way that Royce feels. We can always attempt to explain to them our philosophy, but if they are not interested in knowing or don't believe in it, let them remain ignorant. We are not religious fenatics trying to convert, we are physicians with a skill that is unique who want to heal. LETS KEEP THE FIGHTING LIMITED TO WHEN AND WHERE IT IS NECESSARY. I DON'T THINK ROYCE IS A WORTHY CAUSE.

WE SHOULDN'T LET PEOPLE LIKE THAT GET TO US.

[This message has been edited by AMS-007 (edited 06-29-2000).]

17. travisco

Apr 12, 2000
    Denver, CO, USA
    I don't hate you Royce. I think this whole thing is rather comical, then again I am very thick skinned. I was just seeing how far of an ego trip you would go on. I find sarcasm very funny, however if you have anything more to say email me at [email protected] People are starting to get upset after all.

18. Royce

Jun 26, 2000
    Thanks, Travis. It sure did get pretty nutty there, didn't it?

And thanks to all who helped make this site so fun to visit over the past few days.

I really do wish you all the best, and I hope that like Travis and myself, nobody's feelings were truly hurt.

Peace.

19. Batman

Batman Junior Member 10+ Year Member

May 30, 2000
    POW!! BAM!!! UGGHHH!!! SHAKING HANDS!!!

(Batman & Robin arrive to break up the fight, but there're too late)

Robin: Holly diabolical schemes, Batman! It looks like Royce and everyone are best pals again. Plus we didn't even get to fight.

Batman: Thank God, I thought I might have to use my Shark repelant on a few pre-meds.

Robin: Do you think we've heard the last of this Batman?

Batman: I guess we'll have to wait till next week. Still, one thing bothers me, Robin.

Robin: Holly suspense, Batman! What?

Batman: Who's idea was it to use George Clooney in the last movie? Everything that guy touches tanks.